General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My First Century Ride - Checklist Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-05-22 10:46 AM

Subject: My First Century Ride - Checklist

I'm participating in a 100 mile charity bike ride next month.  While this is not a race, it is still a long ride, and I want to make sure I'm bringing everything with me that I will need.  Any help in listing things I may be missing would be appreciated.

• Bike (duh!)
  • Shorts / Jerseys / Socks / Shoes / Helmet / Sunglasses
  • Sunscreen
  • Camelbak with:
    • food, water, gels
    • tire patch kit & spare tube (not sure if I need, but just to be safe, even though I don't know how to change a tire)
    • bike route map
    • cell phone
    • $20
    • band-aids

What else would people recommend?

Thanks!

2012-05-22 11:40 AM
in reply to: #4222701

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Subject: RE: My First Century Ride - Checklist

Although its a month away and you have no real way of knowing, I'd add some rain gear to your list JIC.  Also, most of these charity rides have rest/refuel stops along the way so you check out the route and support, you may not need to bring too much in the way of fuel if you can restock every 30 miles.

ETA: I see you've got patch kit and spare tube... but you've forgotten a way to re-inflate the tire if you do get a flat!

Edited by Sous 2012-05-22 11:41 AM
2012-05-22 11:42 AM

User image

Master

You have a month, I would recommend learning how to change a tire. It is very easy to learn, and much better than being stuck 50 miles away somewhere and having someone have to drive an hour to come pick you up. I guarantee you can learn it in less than 15 minutes.

Here are some tips on how to do it.

1. If rear wheel change front derailleur to big ring, rear to smallest cog (makes it much easier to get in and out.. in fact you dont even have to touch chain).

2. Loosen Skewer (deflate tire in training), open brake with on brake adjuster

3. Use tire lever to get under the tire and lift, put in second tire lever. User the leverage to pop the tire over the rim.

4. While keeping the lever under the tire, move it along the rim so the tire comes over the rim (all the way around so one side is open.

5. take out tube. (real world look for damage or cuts in tire.. remove debris)

6. put new tube valve in, run the rest of the tuse around the rim making sure the tube is not twisted)

7. By hand put the tire back into the rim (making sure tube inside tire and not between tire and rim)

8. Once it gets tight, use the tire level to use leverage to pop tire over rim.

9. Once all tire inside rim, check that tube not between tire and rim (pinch flat potential)

10. Inflate.

11. If rear wheel. Put the smallest cog under the chain (so chain sitting on top of cog) in front of the rear derailleur. Lift up, while using one finger to push the lower part of the derailleur (behind 2nd flywheel) down,  it will slot back into the right position

12. Tighten skewer, close brake, centering wheel so no rubbing.

And done

2012-05-22 4:28 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD

And/or consider getting bullet-proof tires such as Gatorskins that are very hard to puncture. Slow, but effective. 

Your list of things to take seems good. The one other thing I'd suggest is to practice eating on long rides. Some of us found that took a bit of getting used to. I certainly did.

2012-05-23 8:06 AM

Depending on the weather a camelback maynot be the best idea as it's not going to let your back help you in cooling off.

As previously mentioned, food is likely to be served at each of the aid stations and there's usually a medical tent with band aids and sunscreen for reapplication. However, with that said, if there's something in particular you love on long rides, then bring it.

I would consider:
-bringing two bottles instead of the camelback, that way you can mix it up with water & sports drink
-putting gels & food in bike jersey pockets
-electrical taping your flat kit & bandaids to the underside of your seat. If you do flat, there will likely be more people asking you if you need help than you actually need
-pre-programming the ride map as well as the race support number (if they give one) into your smartphone
2012-05-23 12:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
LampLighter26 - 2012-05-22 11:46 AM

I'm participating in a 100 mile charity bike ride next month.  While this is not a race, it is still a long ride, and I want to make sure I'm bringing everything with me that I will need.  Any help in listing things I may be missing would be appreciated.

• Bike (duh!)
  • Shorts / Jerseys / Socks / Shoes / Helmet / Sunglasses
  • Sunscreen
  • Camelbak with:
    • food, water, gels
    • tire patch kit & spare tube (not sure if I need, but just to be safe, even though I don't know how to change a tire)
    • bike route map
    • cell phone
    • $20
    • band-aids

What else would people recommend?

Thanks!

Most folks have covered what I would also recommend. After so many centuries, I'll emphasize a few of these points:

- DEFINITELY learn how to fix a flat on your own. It may be a while before the Support and Gear (SAG) wagon comes along. And you may actually find yourself alone on the course, though most likely there will be folks who will stop their ride and help.

- Mini bike pump that attaches to your bike. I actually have one that expands at bit and has a air pressure gauge. I had a different one and it didn't work too well when I got a flat once. I thought I could get pumped up at the next aid station but they didn't have a pump. Someone had the one I currently use and I have it with me on my road bike always.

- Unless specified by the ride organizers, the aid stations may not have medical folks, med tent, or any such supplies. On centuries I've been on, intermediate aid stations have nothing more than just water or sports drink. Maybe a bit of food. But, with a charity ride it might be different. Still, I'd at least carry a few band aids plus some aspirin or ibuprofen to hold you over until you can get medical attention if something really does happen. I don't usually carry sunscreen (I liberally apply beforehand), but a small container of it is something to consider depending on you and the weather.

- At least tire levers...this goes along with changing a flat. I have a small bike tool kit with levers and it came in useful for another rider when his chain broke. I use it also if something is coming loose or I want to adjust something.

- I used to use a Camelback when I started to ride centuries, but switched to bottles for another reason - the Camelback caused my back to get sore on the longer rides. It just got tough carrying that weight. It's also easier to fill bottles and like a few folks have said, to put in your own mixture. If you're not used to bottles, though, and you decide to go with them instead, practice drinking while riding. I found myself dropping my bottle when I used them while trying to put them back in the holder.

- I only carry just a bit of food (like maybe a couple of gels) as a "just in case" measure. Normally, these rides have a good amount of food at the major rest stops (they had banana splits at one!). But, along with what Chucifer said, you may want to ask what type of food will be available in case you need to pack something that agrees with you more.

- This is just me not tempting fate, but I carry 2 spare tubes on centuries. One goes in my bike bag and the other goes in one of my jersey pockets.

- For longer rides, I have a fairly good-sized bike bag under my seat so I don't have to tape anything (could fall off anyway, don't want to lose anything). This way I only have to stick a few things in my pockets. But, if there's something more immediate I need while riding, I also have a Bento Box on the top tube.

- Depending on the heat and food/water, possibly Endurolytes? Aid stations will probably have enough food to cover electrolyte replacement. But, on hot rides, I do consider taking them and placing them in my Bento box as a just in case measure.

Rain jacket kinda depends on you and how warm it will be when it rains. I was on a century where it just poured. I used a rain jacket but it really didn't make much difference and also it was warm enough where the jacket actually made me a bit too warm. It's still a good idea to consider one in case you need it for most of the day. But, I wouldn't carry it if there was only a slight chance of rain. One can usually handle a few showers along a ride...all day rain is another story.

Hope you enjoy your ride! Centuries are a really great social experience and you get a terrific sense of accomplishment by finishing that first one. Still, do with later ones but the first is always special.

2012-05-25 3:09 PM

Thank you everyone for the great tips.

Hitting the bike shop this weekend to pick up supplies!

2012-06-18 1:37 PM
in reply to: #4229619

Just wanted to follow up on this post:

Finished the century ride in about 7.5 hours.  I would have loved to have gone faster, but I'm just getting started on distance bicycling, so I'm happy just to have finished.

I wound up buying a saddlebag for under my seat, and cramming a tube, tire levers, sunscreen, and body-glide into, plus a $20 bill and $2 in quarters.  My jersey pockets had tissues, two Clif Bloks, and my cell phone.  I also bought a larger water bottle that was insulated that I kept filling up a rest stops.  Food (bananas, Odwala bars, sandwiches, water, etc) were available at every rest stop.

Definitely a great ride, and something that I would participate in again in the future.

2012-06-20 11:59 AM
in reply to: #4267384

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Congrats!! Hopefully the first of many!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My First Century Ride - Checklist Rss Feed