General Discussion Race Reports! » Gateway Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Gateway Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Carlyle, Illinois
United States
3 Disciplines Racing
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 50m 28s
Overall Rank = 72/135
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 1/4
Pre-race routine:

Drove down to Springfield Saturday night and left from there early Sunday morning. Had toast with peanut butter and a bannana
Event warmup:

Light stretching and a warm up swim prior to the start of the race
Swim
  • 31m 32s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

Oveall a good swim for me. It was a wave start which made for a slow first 200m or so. My goggles kept fogging up which made it impossible to sight properly so I had to stop at each bouy and quickly wipe off my goggles. Then I would sight much better and actually did a pretty good job of swimming somewhat straight, until thy fogged up again.
My chip started to come loose around my ankle about half way through the swim. It was probably from all the traffic during the start of the race. I stopped and pull the chip off my ankle so I wouldn't lose it. I had to hold it in my hand for the rest of the race. I should have just stuffed it in my wetsuit but it didn't slow me down too much.
This time is a bit of an estimate, the race timer did not pick me up when I crossed the T1 matt probably b/c the timing chip was in my hand.
What would you do differently?:

Make sure the goggles aren't going to fog up... heard that licking or spitting into them helps.
Transition 1
  • 02m 21s
Comments:

Overall pretty good... the wetsuit got a little caught on my ankles but nothing to bad. It was a long up hill to the transition area so I was a little slow from the swim to the transition.

No much here
Bike
  • 1h 14m 26s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.03 mile/hr
Comments:

I have happy with the bike, I was able to keep the pace I was targetting. On the way out I was averaging 22-23mph due to the tailwind then on the way back it was a struggle to keep a 19mph pace. The heart rate was getting a little high on the way back so I backed it down and made sure I was getting enough water for the run.
I did have a minor issue with my speed sensor... on the way out of T1 my speed wasn't registering and I heard a knocking sound on my back tire... the sensor had move at some point so I had to get off the bike and readjust. Didn't lose too much time.

Check the bike over a little more before heading off to the start of the race. Other than that it wsa a good bike leg.
Transition 2
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

Pretty good, this was my first race using speed laces and I am glad I made the switch, save a few seconds here.

Not much, overall a good T2 for me
Run
  • 1h 01m 8s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Oh this run was hot. I started off wiht a decent pace but as the miles clicked away so did my pace. It was very hot and I'm glad I listened to my heart rate otherwise I may still be out on the course. I was able to hit my goals for the each leg of the race until this point but with the heat and lack of shade on the course I quickly had to change my goals for the run. I haven't been exposed to running in this much heat/sun this year so it was a bit of a shock to the system. I took water from every station (and sometimes two) to be sure I didn't dehydrate. Because of this I may have over drank, my stomach was feeling fully and a little uncomfortable (rather have that feeling than get dehydrated though).
I am happy with the run even though it was slower than my oringal target. I still ran it faster than my previous Oly distance race and this run was in tougher conditions.

Put in more running miles during the training but overall pretty happy with the result
Post race
Warm down:

At the end of the race I could tell I was pushing myself. It took longer to catch my breath and feel somewhat normal after the rece. I kept walking around and drinking with some light stretching

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hate to complain but the heat on the run really slowed me down. I did a good job hydrating on the bike and into the run so really I just need to figure out how to prepare better for a hot run.
I ran into more problems during this race than I ever have (chip falling off, goggles fogging up, and issues with the speed pick up on the bike) but was able to quickly put all this behind me and move on

Event comments:

This was my first year doing this event and it was a good race. Well organized and lots of volunteers. It was a hot day and they were ready with plenty of drink stations on the run and they were even giving out cold towels which felt great.

Last updated: 2012-05-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:32 | 1640 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 0/135
Performance: Average
Suit: X2U SC2
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:21
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:14:26 | 24.85 miles | 20.03 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 66/135
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back course with some hills (more hills than I expected but not too bad). Tailwind on the way out and headwind on the way back (~8mph average).
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:01
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average