General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'n' Roll Portland Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rock 'n' Roll Portland Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Portland, Oregon
United States
Competitor Group, Inc.
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 53m 21s
Overall Rank = 1656/11017
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 201/603
Pre-race routine:

Got up around 5:15, ate some oatmeal at the house I was staying at and my friends and I traveled to the light rail (Max) park and ride station. Caught the train right on time and arrived to the start line with hardly anybody there. Port-o-johns were plentiful and no waiting. Drank some water and ate half a bagel while we hung out. Tried to get every marathon foto person there to take our picture. Dropped our stuff off at gear check and threw down 2 gels. Got into corral #4 and waited to go.
Event warmup:

Nothing. Just kept my hoodie on for as long as I could before putting it into gear check.
Run
  • 1h 53m 21s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

I was hoping to get a solid PR today, somewhere in the 1:51:xx range. I looked at the course elevation map briefly and didn't think it looked too bad. Right around mile 3.5, I realized I was wrong. There was quite a bit of climbing in there and it went that way until about mile 7. According to my Garmin there was about 455 feet of climbing. It doesn't sound like that much but having not done much lately, it took its toll on me. Kara Goucher, the women's race winner had this to say about the course:
“I might have to rib (course designer) Alan Culpepper the next time I see him. Portland is a hilly town, so I didn’t expect the course to be pancake flat, but I didn’t expect it to be quite so hilly,” added Goucher. “Sometimes it’s about effort and it was a good hard effort and sometimes the clock doesn’t really matter. It’s just about getting out there and challenging yourself and today was certainly a challenge.”

Reading that made me feel a bit better about my assessment of the course. When we left the house in the morning a few drops of rain fell on the windshield. I was afraid we were going to get hammered. The rain held off for the start of the race. By mile 7 or so, I started to realize that I probably wasn't sweating as much as my shirt indicated. The roads were completely wet and the rain slowly picked up in volume for the rest of the race. It was never stong rain by Portland standards, but we ran in rain, dammit! The hills killed my pace a bit here and there, but I remained pretty strong and consistant the whole race.
1007 out of 3284 (men)
What would you do differently?:

Not much on this one. I didn't go crazy on the gel out on the course and I felt good.
Post race
Warm down:

Loaded up on post race fluids...chocolate milk, water, beer. The rain was a bit of a damper on the festivities, so we just got our gear and got back on the train. Hit the hot tub when we got back to the house and took a short nap.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Speed training and I guess I can still stand to lose a few pounds.

Event comments:

Several people reported that they were stopped by the police to allow traffic to pass. At one point I thought that was going to happen to me, but I luckily got by without any delays. This was the first year for this race in Oregon and I had a great time. Hopefully, I'll get to do it again. In the end, I PR'd but only by 23 seconds. But based on the hilly course, I consider that a victory.

1 8:11
2 8:16
3 8:28
4 8:35
5 9:07
6 8:44
7 9:05
8 8:25
9 8:45
10 8:41
11 8:52
12 8:17
13 8:22
14 8:22

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-02-24 12:00 AM
Running
01:53:21 | 13.1 miles | 08m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 201/603
Overall: 1656/11017
Performance: Good
Average HR was 177
Course: Winding roads through commercial/residential areas of Portland east of the Willamette river. Crossed two of the iconic Portland bridges. Hilly! Garmin Data: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/180945660
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-05-22 2:18 PM

User image

Veteran
, Arizona
Subject: Rock 'n' Roll Portland Half Marathon

2012-05-22 6:33 PM
in reply to: #4223317

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Rock 'n' Roll Portland Half Marathon
Ahhhhhhhh glad someone else agrees about the hills! That was tough! Great Goucher reference, too!
2012-05-23 1:09 PM
in reply to: #4223317

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale

Hey, great job Wade!  You held a good pace (even through the hilly portion), and to pull out a sub-9mi/mi race will set you up well for San Diego in a couple weeks.  Congrats, and let's connect before RnR SD next weekend.

One question - is your HR normally that high?  It would seem, by normal standards, to be a bit on the higher side of lactate threshhold than you would like to hold as an average.

2012-05-23 2:10 PM
in reply to: #4225470

User image

Veteran
, Arizona
My HR is generally a bit higher than most people's.  My Zone 2 is pretty wide between 143 and 173.  i recently had a whole VO2/LT test done at endurance rehabilitation.  I had a feeling I was a bit higher than most people and the test solidified that suspicion.  I did an 18 mile run a week and a half ago and at ~155 BPM, I was running just under an 11 minute mile. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'n' Roll Portland Half Marathon Rss Feed