Endurance Sports Management
75F / 24C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 47m 30s
Overall Rank = 28/68
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 2/7
Pre-race routine:

Ate about 300 calories every hour till the event started. Woke up at 3:30am and left the house at 5am. Took about 1.5 hours to get there. I actually overate. Had packed everything the night before so all I had to do was load up the bike and throw the bag in the truck.
Event warmup:

Stretched.
Swim
  • 18m 23s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

First OWS event. Was scared. Started all males at the same time. I was definitely slower than most and should have started in the rear. It was like swimming in a washing machine. Just about grabbed a kayak but fought off the urge. In the end, I settled down and relaxed. Turned out fine. My time was faster than I thought. Didn't wear a wet suit. Water temp was perfect. 5th out of 6 in my age group.
What would you do differently?:

Start in the rear!
Transition 1
  • 02m 17s
Comments:

Immediately out of the water, I put on some old running shoes to help me get to transition area quicker. The path was very rough gravel. Also, there was a tremendously steep hill we had to climb up to reach transition. I tried to run it but just decided to walk up it. Getting into my bike shoes and exiting with bike was great. Clipped in well. 2nd out of 6 in my age group.

Could save a little time by mounting bike and putting on shoes. But the pavement was so rough, I'm glad I didn't try this here. Probably would not use my old running shoes next time.
Bike
  • 53m 8s
  • 17 miles
  • 19.20 mile/hr
Comments:

AWESOME! First race with my new bike. Simply amazing how fast it is. Felt comfortable and fast. Passed so many I lost count. Shifting was great. I shocked myself at my time. 9th place overall out of 65! 2nd out of 6 in my age group. WOOT! Water bottle came loose when coming back into transition. I lost my holder that mounted on the aero-bars. The pavement was so rough in transition that it bounced off. Averaged 19.2 MPH.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

No splits for T2. All in all, I felt good. Loosing my water bottle holder distracted me a little. Everything went on well. Racing belt. Did not take G2 bottle. Should have.

Take my G2 bottle.
Run
  • 33m 41s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Horrible run. Both my hamstrings locked up again. I was 5th out of 6 in my age group. I believe I may have over pushed my legs in the bike segment. But the hills were unexpected and I don't train on hills. Should have had my G2 with me. I stopped for about 30 seconds to allow my right hamstring to relax. Not pleased with my run. But I was able to sprint to the finish. 47th out of 65 overall.

Take my G2 with me on the run. I feel I should have stayed hydrated with electrolytes better which may have prevented my locked up hamstrings.
Post race
Warm down:

None.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Unfamiliar with the course. Rained just prior to start. Not hydrating enough during run.

Event comments:

What can I say? Placed 2nd in my age group. OWS freaked me out at first. It was a very tough little sprint but I feel great with the results. Small race with not many participants. Fun and very challenging. The transition area was less than desirable. Very rough pavement. Took way to long for awards and post race activities. Food spread was not that great. But I will return.

Last updated: 2012-04-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:23 | 880 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/7
Overall: 56/68
Performance: Average
Suit: No
Course: Rectangle. Counterclockwise.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:17
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:53:08 | 17 miles | 19.20 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/7
Overall: 9/68
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Around the park perimeter. Two lanes with little or no shoulder. Shared with traffic for small portions only. Very hilly! The race route profile they sent out was very deceptive. It was tougher than I thought it would be. It had just rained and the roads were slick.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:33:41 | 03.11 miles | 10m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/7
Overall: 47/68
Performance: Bad
Course: Very hilly! More hilly than I thought. Out and back. No traffic. Very nice. Plenty of water stations.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes