United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 03m 50s
Overall Rank = 1491/
Age Group = 35 - 39
Age Group Rank = 216/
Pre-race routine:

My race weekend started Thursday about 6:30 PM. My race as been planned around a Disney vaction and then a Disney cruise. We left home after work and started outon the 5.5 hour trip to Orlando. We arrived in Orlando about midnight and got a room and went to bed. The next morning we got up and went to the race site to check in and then back to the Wilderness Lodge to check in until Thursday. Spent the next couple of days relaxing and waiting for the race. Race morning we got up about at 3:30 AM, took a shower and then took the 30 minute trip down to Haines City.
Event warmup:

No real warmup. My wave went off 55 minutes after the start. (I think Lance was almost done at this point LOL)
Swim
  • 40m 47s
  • 2310 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

I've been work a lot of my swim, so I felt pretty good going into the swim. The water was a lot like what I train in when I'm not in the pool. Not being able to see 2 ft in front of you didn't bother me too much. My sighting wasn't bad but it could always be a little better. I breath to my right and always seem to pull my self a little to the right. It's a lot better than it used to be but still has me swimming a little zig-zag.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I could have pushed harder but I knew I had a long day ahead of me. My swim has greatly improved and I was happy with my swim.
Transition 1
  • 05m 30s
Comments:

Once again, I knew it was going to be a long day, so I took my time and didn't hurry very much.

My goal was to be under 7 hours. If I had handled my transitions like I normally do, I would have made my goal. So I should have done my transition normally and not have wasted probably at least 3 minutes.
Bike
  • 3h 08m 44s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.80 mile/hr
Comments:

Let me start out by saying that I live in a flat part of SC and have no where to train on hills. I realize that hills are relative to where you live and some people may say that there were hardly any hills here but the last 20 miles seem to be very hilly to me. The first 30 or 35 miles or so, I felt like I was moving along at a good pace. I think I averaged a little over 20mph for the first part and then it seemed to be all over for my day from there. A headwind seemed to pick up about the time I started hitting the hills. This was about the time the my quads also started trying to cramp, which I still haven't figured out. From that point on, it was a almost a constant battle with quad cramp. I drank plenty of fluids and had a GU or Chomps every 30 minutes just like I've trained. I've been on 65 -75 miles at the same or higher pace and never had trouble with my quads cramping like that before. I guess I can chalk it up to just one of those days but I've got to get it figured out before Augusta and IMFL.

Not sure. Don't know if the cramping came from nutrition or what. I need to go somewhere and train on some hills every once in a while.
Transition 2
  • 03m 59s
Comments:

Quads were cramping and I was having a big pity-party when I came into trasition.

Quit whinning and get my but in gear.
Run
  • 3h 04m 50s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 14m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Probably the worst run of my life. The three loop run was super tuff on me. The first mile of each loop was uphill. On top of being uphill, it seemed like it was in an oven. It was very hot already everywhere on the course but the first hill was brutal. After the first mile or so after each loop, the course shouldn't have been that tuff but I was done. I just couldn't get the cramps to go away long enough to run far enough to matter without having to stop and walk. Like I said earlier, it was the worst run of my life. I was probably having one of the worst pity-parties that I've ever had. Just past the next to last aid station, there was a family that had been encouraging everyone all day. It was about mile 11 or 12 and I was in a bad spot. About that time, one of the fellows put in all into prospective for me. He was making jokes about how Lance came by doing cart-wheels earlier and after a good laugh, he said "Don't worry about it, this is an Ironman, there are no losers. Just cross that line and you really accomplished something." Damn near thought he was going to make me cry.

Lately I always seem to have some excuse to miss a lot of my runs and it definately showed. I'm still not sure about about the quad cramps but the plain truth is, I haven't put the time in on my running that I need. Get off my butt and work on my run.
Post race
Warm down:

Laid on the ground and tried to work the cramps out of my quads.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

It was hot and my run training has been sub-par lately,

Event comments:

My first race was a sprint exactly one year before this race. I've come a long ways from where I started but I got even farther to go.

Last updated: 2011-09-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:47 | 2310 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 107/
Overall: 698/
Performance: Good
Suit: 2XU tri shorts
Course: M-shaped course in Lake Eva.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:30
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:08:44 | 56 miles | 17.80 mile/hr
Age Group: 177/
Overall: 1211/
Performance: Below average
Wind:
Course: 56 mile loop around the coutry side around Haines City
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:59
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
03:04:50 | 13.1 miles | 14m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Course: Hell
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-05-22 10:11 PM

New user
Walterboro
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Florida

2012-05-23 12:02 PM
in reply to: #4224197

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Florida

Great report. Same story here.  I live in S Florida with no hills.  Averaged 19.8 for the first 38 miles and 15.8 for the final 18.  Run was brutal but they say there is no such thing as a good bike followed by a bad run  

This was by far my worst 70.3 but I guess one of them has to be right  And with you, my worst run "ever".

See you in Augusta and IMFL.

Duane

2012-05-24 5:30 AM
in reply to: #4224197

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Florida

Even the guys who have hills to train in found them challenging.

We probably crossed paths at one point.

Way to perservere !!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Florida Rss Feed