MCM
hotF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 32m 14s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-35
Age Group Rank = 110/160
Pre-race routine:

Up at 6:00, water and half a bagel, a little pb. Got DD up for her Kids Race--she's sooooo excited! It's her first.
Event warmup:

A bit of running back and forth looking for my sister, who we're supposed to meet. Forgot to put her phone number in husband's cell phone! Also realize here I forgot to use my inhaler this morning. That's going to hurt later.
Run
  • 2h 32m 14s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Thanks to those who offered encouragment Saturday. I had really been hoping for a pr this race (1:52) and, about three weeks prior, was in shape to do it. I went on vacation for two weeks, then had a nasty cold which I still have in my sinuses and lungs. That, plus the heat, plus forgetting to use my inhaler just made things miserable. After three miles I scrapped any chance of anything close to a pr. I took my time and shuffled along, amazed at how many people were walking. I couldn't imagine doing the marathon!

This race took longer than my last 14 mile training run on a hillier course. Oh well. I had a feeling it wouldn't be great, just didn't think it would be this bad. Didn't bring the HR monitor cause I knew I'd stress out, and I'm glad I didn't. Surprisingly (for me), my attitued was ok and I was ok with slowing down. Anything to get to the finish! Let's just hope my performance at my HIM isn't this bad ;-)
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Too much time between last long run and race (due to vacation); terrible chest cold the week before race; lack of inhaler

Event comments:

On a *normal* day there would have been enough aid stations, but it was just so darn hot I was wishing they were every mile. Not sure who wants to have a brat after running a HM or Marathon, but this one ends at Brat Fest. If there was normal post-race food it wasn't obviously located, cause I didn't see it. Had two scoops of great ice cream instead!

Last updated: 2006-04-19 12:00 AM
Running
02:32:14 | 13.1 miles | 11m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/160
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Didn't see a mile marker until 3, stopped taking splits after 5--I just didn't want to know!
Course: Course is rolling, nothing too major.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-05-30 2:25 PM

Veteran
Iowa
Subject: Mad City Marathon - Half Marathon

2006-05-30 2:47 PM
in reply to: #438172

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madison,WI
Subject: RE: Mad City Marathon - Half Marathon
Nice job!  I ran the 10k and it was brutal.  Props to you for the half.  Great about the attitude.  It was a hard day to stay mentally tough.  Way to go.
2006-05-30 3:41 PM
in reply to: #438224

Veteran
Iowa
Thanks--congrats on your first race!
2006-05-30 4:01 PM
in reply to: #438172

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madison, WI
That would have been a tough day to PR even without the vacation/illness/inhaler.  You ran a good race.  congrats.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mad City Marathon - Half Marathon Rss Feed