Tri4gold
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 19m 51s
Overall Rank = 27/350
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 6/49
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3:45 am, and drove down to Perimeter Mall to meet up with Derek & Scott. Quick transfer over, and we were on our way down to Peachtree City. We got there about 5:45, which seemed like plenty of time, but the rush was on to get checked in, body marked, transition set up, wetsuit on, and over to the line up. This was my first time doing PIT, and they have this race run like a well oiled machine. The good news was that once I got over to the swim line up things slowed down. That was good so I could catch my breath. All of the go, go, go had my HR up, and I needed a few minutes to get everything settled down.

In the process of getting lined up I chatted it up with The Captin, Joe Dollar, Frank (frank-the-tank :) ), Derek, Scott, Michael Duncon, and several, several others. I finally saw Bryan, and I think he was busier than I was getting everything set up.
Event warmup:

Warmup, blah. Running my mouth with everyone was plenty of warm up. Lined up at the back of the 300's, and just behind Derek & Scott, with some chick who was also solo.

We were entering two at a time in 5 second intervals, so it was moving fast. Time was upon us, and I was ready to toe the line.
Swim
  • 30m 15s
  • 1770 meters
  • 01m 43s / 100 meters
Comments:

The name of this race is Peachtree City International, which is the correct classification. Any distance that varies from 1500m swim, 40K bike, 10K run (which is a true olympic) is called an international. The swim today was just over 1.1 miles by GPS. It is not an Olympic it is an International, so we do not need to compare this race to Olympic times. It is different, and in the end, everyone has to race the same course so it really does not matter.

Nonetheless, I got the send off and hit the water running. Got about knee deep and dove in. Goal of this race was to keep it relaxed and smooth. No pushing, just let it come to me, and that is what I did. Nice smooth strokes, good body rotation, glide, head-press while breathing, and tried not to sight too much. My hips drop too much when I pick my head up to sight, and since I have been swimming so stright recently I figured I would try to sight less to see how that worked out. It worked great! I swam straight as an arrow, with little adjustments here and there based of other swimmer's position, buoys, etc. No problem with navigation what-so-ever.

As relaxed as I was, I was blowing past people. Never really drafted that much, since I could not find a good speed match; however, I would work my way from feet to hips to shoulder and pass each swimmer I came up on. A little contact out there, but nothing big. That first turn buoy really did seem like it took forever to get there. No worries, on to the next one. On the bottom side I did get hit by some wakes from the boats, etc., but no big deal. Rounded the next turn buoy, and headed in to shore.

The return seemed to cut back in to the rectangle a bit, so I adjusted to that and kept at it. No problems since I was swimming right down the buoy line, close enough that my elbow touched the buoys as I passed.

Passed one more group before hitting the exit.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, I felt strong in the water. Based on 1.1 miles or 1,770 meters 1:43/100m is on par for my OWS times recently.
Transition 1
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

Up out of the water, and through the racks. As big as transition was, I had no problems finding my rack. Kicked the wetsuit off (right leg heel got stuck, shocking), helmet on, glasses on, out the door.

I need to either cut the excess material or repair the wetsuit where I had stepped through it. It always gets stuck on my heel. No big deal, since I know it is coming but it cost an extra second or two.
Bike
  • 1h 05m 56s
  • 25 miles
  • 22.75 mile/hr
Comments:

Exited transition, and ran a little way to the mount line. Mounted up, and got up to speed and into my shoes. The first .25 of a mile or so is a no passing zone, but I had some space so it was on.

Keeping it relaxed I took the first two/three miles to get my HR under control, and find my gears. I was passing people left and right, working my way up the draft line being very mindful of the amount of refs on the course. This is a fast course, so I am a bit surprised that my bike split was not faster than it was. Still, no worries, I was keeping it relaxed/smooth and passing everyone in my way. I had some guy that played leap-frog the entire time, and he was pissing me off. He had enough power to pass, but would only get about one bike lenght in front of me before he started slowing back down. WTF? After about the fifth time doing so, I thought this A-hole is going to get ME a drafting penatly. So, I became very mindful to make my pass in 15 seconds, but I never got his number to see if he got a drafting penalty, because he had to be locked on my rear wheel. There was no way he was staying with me without being locked on, because of his lack of pulling away power.

Other than that, pretty uneventful ride until we had made a left and starting a small climb. I went to pass and the guy in front of me was in the middle of the road (e.g. blocking). I thought about passing right, since I was moving much faster than him, but I looked up and saw a ref coming back towards us. That would have been a bad idea right in front of the ref, so I started to yell at him to tighen up to the right. He was a nice guy, and moved over quickly. Back to playing leap-frog until about mile 21, and then I had enough and dropped the hammer to drop this guy. I was over it, and pissed off at this point. No reason to let him hang on. See ya! I used the super sprint bikers on MTN bikes to scrape him off my rear wheel, and turned it on. Back into the no passing zone, and I got caught behind a woman going soooooo slow. Nothing I could do b/c of the no passing zone, so I set up on my pursuit bars tapping my fingers. Yes, I was that guy. I finally passed her as I cut to the inside, and started my dismount.

Odd part about this race was that there was a dismount "area". I am used to a line, so I stepped off just before I crossed into it.

I could have easly pushed harder, but the goal was to keep it relaxed and smooth.
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

Got to my rack and noticed Frank's bike mounted, time to see if I could catch him. Woo-hoo! Quick rack, helmet off, socks/shoes on, and I was out the door.

Nothing
Run
  • 41m 33s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 06m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

I was running in my new all3sports race top that had just come in on Friday, so I was unsure how much it was going to restrick my breathing so I started off easy. Yes, I know "never race in something that is not tested", but I had to start sometime. However, I noticed quickly that it unzipped in the front. I zipped down to about mid-chest, and then realized that it would unzip all the way down to my stomach. That's right, I was running all flapping in the wind. It was great! No restricking what-so-ever, so I could really fuel the oxygen.

Once I figured that out, I picked up the pace. Not sure who it was but right before I got to the road, someone yells "go get'em Coldfire' from the sideline. I gave a quick thumbsup, and pressed the pace. Keeping it relaxed, I put it in a comfortable cruise control which seemd right since I was gunning runners down left and right. Made my way to the first tunnel, which was really cool to run in. With glasses on it was pitch black, and you could only see silhouettes of the other runners. Through the tunnel and then a switch back up and back over the tunnel.

As I crossed over the tunnel I saw a guy in bright yellow/green. I thought that was the Captin, so I started yelling at him. Not really sure what I was yelling, but I was going to yell anyway. There were two or three guys between us that all turned around, and looked at me like I was crazy. The Captin never turned.....the mark of a great racer! Never show fear! I caught up to him, and it was the Captin, chatted for a quick second as he said his hammie was trying to lock up. I wished him luck, and to hold strong as I pushed on.

Shortly after that I could see MikeyBB up ahead. He was slowly coming back to me, but once again he was not moving at his normal speed. Finally caught him, and he said that his other calf was acting up. Told him to hold strong, and keep pushing.

Pretty uneventful to the turn around, but I did see that the guy that they gave 1st OA to at the olympic two weeks before only had about half a mile or less on me. I knew he started up front, so I already had him, but now it was time to prove a point.

Made the turn, and started back. Quick little high five to some kid standing after the aid station, and back the other way. Pace still felt right, so I kept at it. No pushing, still reeling people in. Saw the Captin again, and he told me to go "they are suffering in front of you". Then Bryan, Scott, and Derek a mile later. Everyone looked steady. Passed some guy on the side of the path down stretching, and realized it was Frank. I yelled at him, and he said his hammies were locked up. I closed in on the final mile, and there he was, 1st OA from Rome just in range. I reeled him in to striking distance, but the course was getting short on me. I was unsure if I had him close enough, or if I had enough gass in the tank. There was the 6 mile maker, I am going to run out of space. I was in a perfect position, I was behind him and the course was uphill to the finish. Then, like the parting of Red Sea my turbo engaged, the path was clear, and I dropped the hammer full speed to the finish. I blew past him to the line. Even did a little jumping fist pump as I crossed. Point was proven.

I had plenty left in the tank so I could have pushed harder, but again, the goal was to keep it relaxed.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and chatting with everyone. Saw Eric Cross who I did not realize was racing. Eric is amazing, got a 2:00 minute penatly for chatting with some guy on the bike, and still took 3rd OA. Chatted with MikeyBB, Frank, Joe, Derek, Scott, Bryan, and tons of others.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I could have always pushed harder, but I was enjoying myself out there.

Event comments:

PIT is a great race. This was my first time doing it, and I am impressed with how it is run. Great course, great volunteers, and tons of speed out there.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-04-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:15 | 1770 meters | 01m 43s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/49
Overall: 0/350
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot Zenth - Batman Suit
Course: Course was a rectangle. Start on shore, straight out, hang a right for about 200 meters, and then straight back in. The exit was in a slightly different spot than where we started.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:15
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:05:56 | 25 miles | 22.75 mile/hr
Wind:
Course: All sorts of weird lolli-pops, and out and backs. No worries, just gun down whomever is in front of you. Since it was a TT start, there was alway someone else to catch.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:41:33 | 06.2 miles | 06m 42s  min/mile
Course: Out and back. Course was up and down the entire time, with very little flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-05-23 8:13 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: Peachtree City - International

2012-05-23 4:04 PM
in reply to: #4224617

User image

New user
Athens, GA
Subject: RE: Peachtree City - International

Nice race - way to close it at the end!

I agree with you on the swim in that we all have to race the same course, and I don't mind a race with distances that deviate from the standard distances, but I think the irritation is with the fact that the swim distance deviated from the event's published distance. In retrospect, a long swim is great for me because it's my strongest leg. In the moment, it was a little deflating to look at my (non-GPS) watch and see 30 minutes when I'd expected to see a faster time.

I do want to thank you for putting a distance to the mystery swim so I have some sense of what my OWS race pace is. Smile

2012-05-24 10:28 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Congrats on your day, mate, and especially nice to pip that guy at the line..

2012-05-25 7:14 AM

User image

Veteran

Great report!

Odd that this is your first time racing there-its an addictive race-along with the sprint in August!

Nice to read about the "Roman" guy, and you eye'd my bike in transition-wow-nice, lol!

Sounds like you had a complete A race-congrats

Quads

Frank

2012-05-25 11:25 AM

User image

Florida

I thought it was called an International so they could call it the PIT, whereas if it was an Olympic, it'd be the POT.  Laughing

Congrats to you on a good race!

2012-05-31 8:38 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
great race...congrats.  Gotta do more races with you and the posse.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Peachtree City - International Rss Feed