General Discussion Triathlon Talk » i find this interesting.....any thoughts? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-05-25 3:34 PM
in reply to: #4229614

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: i find this interesting.....any thoughts?
cweninger - 2012-05-25 3:04 PM

Attention! Attention! Attention!

The Habanero Race Series is now here!  This race series is composed of many scenic and challenging courses that are much to hot to handle. 

Here is how it works:  Send us your $$$$$ and we'll send you a medal of your choosing!  You heard it right folks - all you have to do is send us some dough, say it is too hot to race, and we'll give you a slightly used medal - you choose the distance - 5k,10K, half marathon, up to a full marathon - yes a full marathon.

More race series to come soon like the Wind Chill Its too Cold series, the Tornado, its too Windy Series and my favorite Detective Series for those that do not have a clue.

Thank you for your support  We look forward to seeing you soon.

The Mucho Caliente Promotion Company

I WANT IN!

2012-05-25 5:04 PM
in reply to: #4224673

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
I ran the half 2 years ago and really lost any desire to race in those conditions ever again. Seeing as they didn't change the date I figured I would take the problem into my own hands and race earlier in the season. Problem solved! Still have a 1:40 run planned for Sunday, will just bring more water with me!
2012-05-26 5:56 AM

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

Boston this year and what they did, i have no issues with.  same with green bay this year too.  Madison?  lost all respect i might have had for that event and will never do that race directors event.  so people can run a half marathon now and get a full marathon medal?  bull crap.  slap in the face to those that trained for both the half and the full.  in that case, those that did enter the half should also get a full medal, right?  what are they going to do if, god forbid and i know this never happens, but what if the weather forecast becomes inaccurate?  this is just a chicken sh*t move on the RD's part.  full refunds should be given to anyone that signed up for the full.

2012-05-26 1:37 PM
in reply to: #4230191

I'm with you, DJ. I paid for the full so I'm getting the full medal although I'm not allowed to do the full. It's all because they don't have enough half metals to give out.
2012-05-26 2:35 PM

User image

Veteran
, Wisconsin

This is interesting... and I see it as a no-win situation for the RDs.  I sure wouldn't want to be in their position for this dilemma.  If they don't cancel, under-prepared people will have problems with the heat.  If the RDs do cancel, a lot of people will be angry.  The end result is, no one will be really happy.  (As an aside....Is this a personal responsibility issue?  Absolutely!!  But unfortunately, we live in an era where the average person prefers to shift responsibility to another party rather than accept the consequences of his or her actions and personal decisions.)

It seems that any mishap and even natural events (outside of anyone's control) lead to lawsuits, so I don't really blame the RD for canceling Madison - although I think they should foot the loss and allow runners a full refund or free entry into next year's event.   

I'm actually OK with them handing out the full marathon medals to  marathoners completing the half, since many people probably did put in the training time.  On the other hand, I can see why some would consider this disrespectful in a way.  I see both sides of it but I lean toward feeling OK about the full marathon medal distribution. 

I ran Madison a few years ago when they called it after a few hours due to heat.  It was a miserable day to run, but I just slowed down and finished it since I was close to the end when they called it.  A friend of mine didn't complete the race and stopped when they called it, and still accepted her medal.  I didn't really mind since I know she put in the training time.

Edited by SpottedCow 2012-05-26 2:38 PM
2012-05-26 7:47 PM
in reply to: #4230191

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
djdavey - 2012-05-26 5:56 AM

Boston this year and what they did, i have no issues with.  same with green bay this year too.  Madison?  lost all respect i might have had for that event and will never do that race directors event.  so people can run a half marathon now and get a full marathon medal?  bull crap.  slap in the face to those that trained for both the half and the full.  in that case, those that did enter the half should also get a full medal, right?  what are they going to do if, god forbid and i know this never happens, but what if the weather forecast becomes inaccurate?  this is just a chicken sh*t move on the RD's part.  full refunds should be given to anyone that signed up for the full.

I totally understand the frustration, but, as someone else stated, it's a no-win for them.  Taking the course of being safe has some respect in my eyes, but, giving the medals out to the full marathoners for finishing the 1/2 is not right (OMFG, I agreed with DJ - hell is snowing ).
Anyhoo, I'll be at E. Main Street and the Yahara River bike path volunteering.  Flip me off when you all come by, just make sure my son doesn't see it.

Edited by 1stTimeTri 2012-05-26 7:50 PM

2012-05-26 8:20 PM
in reply to: #4230740

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin
1stTimeTri - 2012-05-26 7:47 PM

I totally understand the frustration, but, as someone else stated, it's a no-win for them.  Taking the course of being safe has some respect in my eyes, but, giving the medals out to the full marathoners for finishing the 1/2 is not right (OMFG, I agreed with DJ - hell is snowing ).
Anyhoo, I'll be at E. Main Street and the Yahara River bike path volunteering.  Flip me off when you all come by, just make sure my son doesn't see it.

totally agree its a no win situation for the RD.  then man up and give out full refunds, or allow people the chance to actually TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEMSELVES.

2012-05-27 9:31 PM
in reply to: #4230765

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
djdavey - 2012-05-26 8:20 PM
1stTimeTri - 2012-05-26 7:47 PM

totally agree its a no win situation for the RD.  then man up and give out full refunds, or allow people the chance to actually TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEMSELVES.

You do get credit for next year's race.  Is that a bad thing?
And, we know that human nature (and MANY non-elites) are just plain stupid and will never take responsibiity for themselves.  There are way too many people that just "don't get it" like we do, doot.

2012-05-29 1:37 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago
So it was probably best they canceled it because we all know there would be people on the course until noon, 1, 2pm. And someone would've died or been hospitalized. Many people, in fact. It got hot quick.

It was a fun race nonetheless. And good seeing PHIL!
2012-05-29 1:54 PM

User image

over a barrier
I found this a unique marketing tactic...just to the Northwest

ATTENTION: REGISTRATION STILL OPEN!
YOU CAN STILL RUN THIS WEEKEND

Several area races either have been, or may be canceled due to extreme weather. After all that training, we understand your disappointment. Therefore, Med City Marathon will not limit numbers in any of our races this weekend. We will accommodate all runners and if we run out of medals and shirts, we will make sure you receive one after the race.

Register this Saturday, May 26th, 10:00am – 7:00pm at the expo Mayo Civic Center, 20 Civic Center Dr, Rochester, MN.

http://medcitymarathon.com/
2012-05-30 1:51 PM
in reply to: #4233678

User image

Veteran
Germantown, WI

mr2tony - 2012-05-29 1:37 PM So it was probably best they canceled it because we all know there would be people on the course until noon, 1, 2pm. And someone would've died or been hospitalized. Many people, in fact. It got hot quick. It was a fun race nonetheless. And good seeing PHIL!

So as I said above, why don't these races start earlier?  Plan to start at 5:30 then people will be done before it gets really hot.

2012-05-31 12:34 PM
in reply to: #4235731

User image

over a barrier
kbreitz - 2012-05-30 1:51 PM

mr2tony - 2012-05-29 1:37 PM So it was probably best they canceled it because we all know there would be people on the course until noon, 1, 2pm. And someone would've died or been hospitalized. Many people, in fact. It got hot quick. It was a fun race nonetheless. And good seeing PHIL!

So as I said above, why don't these races start earlier?  Plan to start at 5:30 then people will be done before it gets really hot.

Permitting would need to change for one. I have no idea how long the process takes but doubt it would be pulled off in a few days.
2012-05-31 5:07 PM
in reply to: #4237404

I completed a survey today on the race. They asked what is the earliest I would want to start the race. 5:00am was the earliest time listed. So, it appears they are considering changing the time for next year.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » i find this interesting.....any thoughts? Rss Feed  

of 2