General Discussion Race Reports! » Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
RunTex
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 47m 38s
Overall Rank = 500/1266
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 95/147
Pre-race routine:

Had a great pre-race dinner at Dennis's house with all the other BT'ers (Thanks Dennis!). Had a couple of beers, pasta, salad, some great garlic bread that Polly made, Celeste's grilled veggies and a few brownies haley made. Is that carbo-loading or what?!

Race morning I got there on time and looked for other BTers. Hung out and watched the pros exit the swim while I was waiting for my wave.

Event warmup:

No real warm up for me. Transition closed at 7AM and my wave took off a little after 8AM so there wasn't much I could do.
Swim
  • 33m 26s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was shooting for a 30 minute swim and I was a little slower than I expected. I didn't get overly tired and breathing was ok. I swam a little bit off course a couple of times.
What would you do differently?:

Try to draft a little bit more.
Transition 1
  • 03m 43s
Comments:

I need a little practice with transitions. Could've easily shaved two minutes or more off my overall time which would have moved me up 7 places in my AG and 35 in the overall!

Practice, practice, practice.
Bike
  • 1h 09m 48s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.36 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt good on the bike. I was a little slow to get going because I ran barefoot out of transition with my shoes on the pedals and by the time I got out of T1 there was a lot of dirt/mud/rocks on my feet so I had to wipe them off before I mounted the bike. Once I got going I felt good. Going over the first street bridge for the first time was when I noticed the incredible crowd support that comes out for this race. It was absolutely incredible. The course was very fun and fast. I enjoyed hammering, especially on the downhill on Congress and Cesar Chavez. I guess the only problem I had was that I ran out drink by the end of the third lap. Maybe that affected my run a little bit. My frame only fits one bottle cage, so maybe I need to get the bottle that is mounted on the aerobars. I saw one on the course that someone had dropped, maybe I should've stopped to pick it up! :)

Not much. Maybe go faster! Probably run with shoes on out of T1?
Transition 2
  • 03m 38s
Comments:

Same story with the dirt and mud. Wiped my feet off on my towel and put socks on.

Do everything FASTER!
Run
  • 57m
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

First couple of miles were good and I kept a steady pace around 8 min/mi (My 10K PR is 7.2 pace). By this time it was very hot and humid, and suddenly I started overheating and feeling crappy. I started pouring water on my head and at one point I even put some ice inside my hat and in my jersey to try and keep my core temperature down. At this point it was hard to sustain 9.5 min/mi pace. I started walking through the aid stations making sure I drank enough water and let those girls with the water guns give me a good soak! I saw Dennis a couple of times, Aaron, David, Celeste, Colleen and Polly out on the course. I saw Desiree Ficker a couple of times cheering people on and when I passed by I almost stopped to declare my love for her! ;)

Stop and declare my love to her!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Met with the other BTers below the red tent and hung out, tried to stretch a little. We saw Desiree again and we all took a picture with her.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Probably the heat.

Event comments:

Overall organization and support was great. I liked the race a lot. Maybe waves could start a little earlier so it doesn't get too hot outside for those who start on the later waves.

Had lots of fun and will surely be back next year!

Last updated: 2006-02-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:26 | 1640 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 114/147
Overall: 773/1266
Performance: Average
AVG HR 175, Max 183
Suit: Sleeveless Wet Zoot Z1
Course: Rectangular loop in Town Lake
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:43
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:09:48 | 24.85 miles | 21.36 mile/hr
Age Group: 58/147
Overall: 251/1266
Performance:
AVG HR 172, Max 184
Wind: Little
Course: 4 laps in downtown Austin.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 92
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:38
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:57:00 | 06.21 miles | 09m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 94/147
Overall: 575/1266
Performance: Below average
AVG HR 171, Max 182
Course: 2 loops through downtown Austin.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-05-30 3:48 PM

User image

Veteran
McAllen, TX
Subject: Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic

2006-05-30 8:51 PM
in reply to: #438320

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX
Subject: RE: Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic

Great race, Sal.  I was really nice talking with you before the race.   

I feel same way as you do about transitions.  In a big, but relatively short race such as this, you can really lose AG positions in T1 and T2.   I spent nearly 7 minutes in transition.  Ridiculously slow! 

It was fun seeing you on the run, and I hope to meet up at future races.

-David 

2006-05-30 8:56 PM

User image

Expert
Great race. I spent over 8 minutes in transitions, it is a killer. New to the group, located in austin tx. glad to be aboard.

jamie
2006-05-31 11:16 AM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Sal,

Great race and congratulations.  Your transitions were faster than mine.  My transitions sucked. 

It was nice meeting you and I hope to see you at some other races.

TJ

2006-05-31 12:00 PM

User image

Expert
Dallas, TX
Good job, Sal! It was nice to meet you. I let way too much time go during the transitions too. That's free time
2006-05-31 2:50 PM

User image

Pro
Evanston,
Hey Sal, way to go! It was good to see you. The ice-in-the-hat thing was working for me too. I had forgotten about those water-gun girls; they were great!

But where's the picture with the BTers and Desiree??? "Stop and declare my love..." you are too funny.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed