RunTex
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 58m 8s
Overall Rank = 633/
Age Group = 40/44
Age Group Rank = 33/35
Pre-race routine:

Try to remain calm. Fixed a pot of coffee, a bowl of oatmeal, and sat on the balcony watching the bats come home to Congress Street Bridge
Event warmup:

Nothing really, a few stretches, mental walk thru for transitions, and chatting with the others setting up
Swim
  • 20m 52s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

Water was cold but not too bad. I had a bit of a panic attack trying to tread water in the middle of 30-40 people, so I had to get to the outside of the group. I should have just put my head down and went for it but my head was in the way. Too much breast stroking and not enough free style, I am disappointed with my effort.
What would you do differently?:

Get to the front of the wave and stay to the inside or outside for more free space. Obviously I have an issue with getting crowded
Transition 1
  • 06m 43s
Comments:

Took way too long in transition! The swim took it out of me and I took time to catch my breath. I washed my feet, got socks and shoes on, drank a little gatorade and headed out.

Move faster and quite beating myself up for not swimming faster so I can concentrate on getting out of transition in a smooth and timely fashion.
Bike
  • 47m 51s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 15.59 mile/hr
Comments:

I was concerned about gear changes for the hills and it turns out for good reason. I did manage to change gears to get up the hills but dump the chain on the first hill on the down hill trying to get back to where I started. Jumped off, got it back on and took off again. It was better on the second loop but it still took me a while to get to a cruising gear after the hills. I really enjoyed the down hill runs and managed to get up to 25 miles an hour. After the second turn around, as I was heading up the small incline, I looked up in time to see another racer, jump off his bike and throw it into the grass on the side of the road. He then took off running in his bike shoes. I commented out loud, "That's not a good sign" to the enjoyment of another rider passing me. Couldn't believe it. The bike was still there on my next pass.

Ride more hills and learn to change gears.
Transition 2
  • 03m 46s
Comments:

Slow down quicker as I get ready to dismount. I came in too quick with spent legs and fell at the dismount line. Managed only to scrap my knee, but was completely embarrased about the whole thing. Took a bow for the few folks concerned for me and took off to transition.

Not fall at the dismount zone
Run
  • 38m 54s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 12m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

It was soooo hot by the time I started the run, I felt beat down. I walked for a little bit at the start, then decided to get moving. I could not make myself move any faster! I saw Aaron and Celeste during the run, Celeste was not responding at this time but she was probably rounding on her second lap. I drank at every aid station and dumped water over me as well. I was thankful for the shade on the down side of the run.

PUSH MYSELF! I knew I could go faster but didn't push it, and I am a bit disappointed with myself for that.
Post race
Warm down:

Grab a popsicle, a bottle of water and a banana and headed for the shade. I stretched very little but did manage to get my quads and hams.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My head. No hill training and not clearly understanding my bike and gears. I also need to work on my nerves and get plenty of sleep. I am having a hard time adjusting to being a forty something athlete (I was a very competitive runner in high school) and my competitive side is suffering with my performances so far, though I know that I have just started back down this road back to fitness. I plan to train smarter, work harder, and try to be less hard on myself.

Event comments:

I enjoyed this race. It was nice to be around all the athletes both newbies and professionals. I enjoyed the announcement of my name as I exited the swim as well. The crowd was very supportive, it really made a difference. I will do this race again next year. Since I stayed at the host hotel, getting to/from the race was a breeze for myself and my family.

Last updated: 2006-04-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:52 | 820 yards | 02m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 26/35
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
pace from chip, 2:47
Suit: no wet suit
Course: long narrow rectangle
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 06:43
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:47:51 | 12.43 miles | 15.59 mile/hr
Age Group: 28/35
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Great.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:46
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:38:54 | 03.11 miles | 12m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 33/35
Performance: Below average
92-105 most of the time
Course: nice
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-05-30 7:04 PM

Master
Houston
Subject: Capital of Texas Triathlon

2006-05-30 9:40 PM
in reply to: #438482

Regular
tracy,california
Subject: RE: Capital of Texas Triathlon
Great job. I tried looking for BTers but could not find anyone wearing BT clothing. I was in Sprint 35 to 39 age group for swim but Clydesdale group overall. I sure wish I could of cought up with some of you at the race. I even wore the BT tats on both ankles. Maybe next race. Congratulations to you. I hope when I am your age that I have that kind of drive.
2006-05-30 9:53 PM

User image

Houston, TX
i think i saw that gut that threw his bike. i was watching from the end of the bridge near where the entrance and exit for the transition area was and i saw him come running over the bridge and run right back down the ramp where everyone was coming out of. weird. i would love to know what the heck was up with that.

you did a great job and i am glad you enjoyed yourself, TRIATHLETE!
2006-05-31 7:26 AM

User image

Pro
Evanston,
Congratulations Jeanette!!! You did a good job in this race. I will tell you, that run kicked a lot of us in the butt. (You're so diplomatic, "nonresponsive," heh. I was in the pain zone for sure!!!) It was good to see you & your fam at the BT gathering as well! You know come to think if it I do remember seeing Mark at one point during the race, don't remember where... anyway thank him for coming out to support us!

GOOD JOB! Keep tri'ing, and have FUN!
2006-05-31 12:14 PM

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.
Awesome job, 'nette! It's all about learning, and you did great. My second tri kicked my butt too. It's a lesson of where to go from here!
2006-05-31 3:50 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Nice race - Triathlete!  Great job overcoming some obstacles and continuing on with the race.  It sounds like you are learning about the mental side of triathlon.  Remember to 'race in the moment'.  You can't control what has happened in the past.  Ask yourself during the race "What do I have to do right now in order to have my best performance."

TJ

2006-05-31 6:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX (West of Houston)

Jeanette...you did a GREAT job!  (stop beating yourself up)  You had really good times!  (Not that we can compare them to our first tri's non-existent results!)  I think your overall time was better than last time - wasn't it? 

Be PROUD...Triathlete!  Participating in and completing a triathlon is a wonderful accomplishment!

We should try to do some OWS's like once or twice a month...what do you think?

Take care and see you soon!

-Lisa

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Capital of Texas Triathlon Rss Feed