View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Boone, Iowa
United States
Total Time = 1h 15m 59s
Overall Rank = 18/173
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/
Pre-race routine:

Up early for breakfast and the hour drive. Check in and transition set up was smooth. Discovered wetsuit has a seam separation on right forearm, but it's small and proved not to be a problem. On the way to the bus to get shipped to the opposite side of the lake, I managed to step on a big rock and bruise my right heel. Still hurts now five days later, but in the shoe it wasn't noticible on either the bike or run.
Event warmup:

Arrived on the beach to find a nasty cold wind, whipping up waves directly against us on the swim course. Water temp was ten degrees higher than the air temp, so I stayed in the water. Swam several warm ups, more than I'd like, but I needed to stay warm and the race start was 25 minutes late.
Swim
  • 10m 36s
  • 547 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

Average swim. Not much contact. Time is inflated by the run from the lake up the boat ramp and drive to the timing mat at the edge of transition.
Transition 1
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

Hadn't had the chance to practice shoes-on-bike transition, so I did it my usual way rather than attempt something new on race day.
Bike
  • 42m 33s
  • 15 miles
  • 21.15 mile/hr
Comments:

This was interesting. I was trying my new wheels, and had a true test regarding my ability to handle disc rear and deep front in the wind. It was sustained cross wind (partially against on the way out, partially with on the way back) at 20mph with gusts higher the whole way. The front wheel did make some efforts to jump away, leaving my arms tired from a bike ride! But it wasn't too bad and I think I can use these wheels in windy races in the future. I was passed by only one rider, and that was on our way back into the park at the end of the ride.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Run
  • 20m 36s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Decent run. Not in quite the shape I hoped to be by this race (got to work on not weighing in at 190 pounds!), but I kept an even pace and finished strong. No one passed me on the run, and I passed the guy that got me on the bike right away. That means all 17 of the people who beat me were out of the water before I was (two of them had slower times, but were in the wave ahead of me). Not too hard to figure out where I need to be working to improve.
Post race
Event comments:

Pretty well run and fun race, but organizers need to figure out how to get everyone to the beach in time to start on time. I'd suggest earlier shuttles and earlier closing transition closing time.

Last updated: 2012-02-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:36 | 547 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/173
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: High
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: