General Discussion Race Reports! » American Triple-T Ohio - Race #1: Super Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

American Triple-T Ohio - Race #1: Super Sprint - TriathlonMini Sprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Portsmouth, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
Sunny
Total Time = 30m 35s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 33
Age Group Rank = 69/105
Pre-race routine:

It took 4 hours to get there. We went to the hotel and then to the race. I had been eating all day in moderation. I was really pumped up
Event warmup:

swimming a few strokes
Swim
  • 08m 28s
  • 273 yards
  • 03m 06s / 100 yards
Comments:

I’m really glad I can laugh at myself on this one. The swim was a time trial start and they let people go every few seconds. I was ramped! Maybe a little too ramped! My plan was to go hard on this race. When he told us to go I took off like a bat out of hell running down the beach. They had you run down a small area of sand (maybe about 10-15 yards) and head into the water. When I hit the water I kept trying to run until it was waist deep and then I dove right in. My head came out of the water and …PANIC!!! My goggles were full of water and I was completely out of breath. I just swam as hard as I could, but I didn’t hold the crawl for very long. I started to breast stroke and kept trying to relinquish my swim, but there was no helping me. By the time I rounded the next bouy I tried to fix my leaking goggles and nothing was working. I could hear “Hold my Hand” by Hootie and the Blowfish as I tried fixing the goggle. Was this ironic this song was playing? Was this a sign??? All of a sudden I was treading water and looking at the guards. I was curious as to what they thought of me. I shook my head and asked myself what the hell I was going not moving fwd ( it was kinda like a wake up call- duh). I started moving fwd again and I swam with my head out of the water and got to the shore. I was way out of breath.
What would you do differently?:

First time triathlon. I would never run as hard as I did into the water. I need new goggles. Leakers!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

they didn't post transition time, but I was quick ( I think)
Bike
  • 00m
  • 5 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

I did a really quick transition and headed out on the bike. I didn’t know what my heart rate was, but I know it was sky rocketed because I couldn’t settle my breathing down. I sorta felt like I was in labor. I wish I had the bike in a higher gear, but I wasn't familar with the course so I think I could have went a bit faster to start. I was awaiting the so called "hills." I started to pick up the pace on the bike and I realized I hadn’t tried on this aero helmet since the winter when I got it. I made a mental note to myself that I needed to fix the helmet strap because it was hitting the ear flap of the helmet. All I could hear was “bap, bap, bap!” Good thing it was a short course because that could get annoying! We went up this big hill and came right back down it. The ride was short and sweet, but I was still breathing rapidly.

Put it in a higher gear once I got out of transition. I was being cautious because I didn't know the course and I was expecting hills.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

not sure of my trans time, but I felt fast again
Run
  • 07m 19s
  • 1 miles
  • 07m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

I went into transition and quickly put my shoes on with out socks. I know they say don’t ever do anything new on race day , but it was only a mile. The shoes were new with lock laces and I always wear socks. O well, not this time! I ran out of transition hard core. I got to the turn around and felt burnt out. I sprinted to the end and felt like I wanted to pass out, but I felt good! I can certainly tell myself "WELCOME TO TRIATHLON KID!"

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

I really didn't do anything. We left and went to the room and stretched that evening.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

panic in swim and leaking goggles. I was unfamiliar with the course as well.

Event comments:

I loved it. Just wish I had more experience going into it

Last updated: 2011-11-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:28 | 273 yards | 03m 06s / 100yards
Age Group: 69/105
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit: none
Course: It was in the lake
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 05 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 49/105
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:07:19 | 01 miles | 07m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 34/105
Performance:
Course: Started out on pavement and it went into the woods.very rough/rocky/uneven terrain. I was still out breath from the swim.lol
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 1

{postbutton}
2012-05-25 11:18 AM

User image

Regular
Akron
Subject: American Triple-T Ohio - Race #1: Super Sprint

2012-05-26 5:11 PM
in reply to: #4229116

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Subject: RE: American Triple-T Ohio - Race #1: Super Sprint

You ROCKED it!

I can feel the excitement oozing out of this report...priceless...

Congratulations on becoming a triathlete.

Dale

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » American Triple-T Ohio - Race #1: Super Sprint Rss Feed