World Triathlon Corporation
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 54m 51s
Overall Rank = 147/2175
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 17/256
Pre-race routine:

Arrived to Haines City on Friday (instead of Saturday) which allowed me to settle in, relax a little, take a run around the loop and test it out, and get the bike cleaned up. Being there early allowed me to also stretch out the body after the drive up there from Miami.
Event warmup:

It was challenging to have to be at transition so early and have everything set up by 6 am when my wave didn't even kick off until 7:30, but these are the things one has to plan for, both nutritionally and physically. With proper planning, I had my coconut water and granola to finish up about 60 minutes before my race start. As the sun rose, I began some dynamic stretching (or flexibility) to open up the legs and arms.
Swim
  • 32m 54s
  • 2112 meters
  • 01m 34s / 100 meters
Comments:

I know I am a better swimmer than my triathlon results tend to show, especially in longer distance races, but there are factors that I cannot control that inhibit my ability to perform faster. I purposely do not go all out on the swim, but the facts remain that there are three waves of female swimmers before my wave and this forces me to swim into and around many hurdles throughout the course, beginning at the second buoy. I know I perform better in the ocean as opposed to the lake, due to others' apprehension to the ocean as well as the added buoyancy it provides me. My navigation has been quite well over the past year or two.
What would you do differently?:

All things considered, I suppose I performed okay, but I simply need to get more efficient in the water whether pool, lake or ocean and whether wetsuit, skinsuit or just swim suit.
Transition 1
  • 02m 54s
Comments:

My transitions over last year had no choice but to improve. I knew going into this year's race that I'd have an opportunity to eliminate a few minutes in the transitions alone. I definitely appreciated the nicer transition area and was better prepared coming into T1.

There's still time savings opportunities with transitions, but I also recognize that forcing a few seconds in a HIM transition can cost minutes later on so I er on the safe side.
Bike
  • 2h 36m 22s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.49 mile/hr
Comments:

I'm most pleased with my bike performance in this race. We climbed over 1100 feet and I was able to maintain an average 22.4 MPH for the first 38.5 miles. A few strategies really worked to my benefit, leading to a 9-minute improvement over last year's flatter course. I drove the course on Saturday even though I heard from many where the hills were, etc. I knew where the roads were going to be rough and where the turns were going to be tight. The elevation maps were actually incorrect and so I'm glad I went with my instinct and took the time to drive the course. I checked the weather several times prior to the race which helped me gauge how the winds were going to affect me at what point in the bike segment. This helped me strategize and "enjoy" the tailwind as much as possible.

Though I planned my nutrition quite well, I felt myself getting hungry in the last 15-20 miles. I forgot to take the salt tablets earlier on so I consumed them at miles 35, 45, 53 and this might have been too much because it was in the last couple miles that I started feeling just a small bit of stomach pains which I countered with plain water to help subside any potential pains, which it did. Working intervals at home (thank you trainerroad!) was key to my improvements this year as well.
Transition 2
  • 02m 52s
Comments:

I borrowed some Newton mv2's from a friend to test them out but I had trouble getting speed laces set up where the shoes would be easy to put on, but comfortably snug for the run. Because of that, I had to basically sit down to put the shoes on and lace up - a first for me since my inaugural triathlon years. To be honest, it wasn't more than a few seconds difference.
Run
  • 1h 39m 49s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

431 feet of climbing in 85 degree weather is not exactly pleasant. On paper, my run performance doesn't look any better than last year but I have to put perspective into the situation and when doing so, I'm better off. We had so much more climbing on the run (and coming off 1100 feet incline on the bike, our legs weren't exactly fresh). I'm not excited about a 1:39 half-marathon run, but I'm not displeased. All I had to do was a 1:45 (to come in under 5:00). Oddly, my splits say that I slowed just a little with each lap however I honestly felt like my third loop was my fastest, or at least faster than loop 2.

Like the bike course, I ran the run course on Friday as I arrived to town and was certainly glad I did! I was able to keep my legs active and get them used to the course. I took that run easy and in the afternoon when it was pretty hot. I didn't realize how hilly the run would be but I'm glad that I spent the last couple months running hilly trails once a week.
Post race
Warm down:

I've really come to attacking recovery quite well. Where I used to finish like I was dead, that's not the case any more. I'm happy to report that I've learned how to walk it off and cool off. After catching my breath and pouring two bottles of fresh cold water over myself, I made way to the food tent where I grabbed just a little bit of food and drink and a place to get some dynamic flexibility in to avoid any cramps or muscle tightness. I also found the massage tent where they were giving five -minute massages and though it wasn't long, every minute helps!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Some tweeks to the nutrition plan should help later on and this is what I'm looking forward to with Gatorade in the coming months. I was able to identify any potential nutrition issues early on and reduce any potential issues for later. Next HIM...sub 4:45!

Event comments:

I was much more impressed with this year's venue and expo over last year. I thought it was better organized as well. The volunteers were great as well as helpful and I don't think they are ever given the respect they deserve as they are out there longer than any competitor, cheering on everyone who swims, bikes, or runs by. They truly make the race successful! Also a kudos to all the neighbors and their encouragement throughout the race!

Other Notes: Rankings based on total finishers.

Last updated: 2012-03-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:54 | 2112 meters | 01m 34s / 100meters
Age Group: 15/256
Overall: 169/2175
Performance: Below average
One lap.
Suit: TYR Torque
Course: "M" shape in Lake Eva.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:54
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:36:22 | 56 miles | 21.49 mile/hr
Age Group: 39/256
Overall: 227/2175
Performance: Good
Split Distance Split Time Race Time Pace 38.5 mi 38.5 mi 1:43:04 2:18:52 22.41 mi/h 56 mi 17.5 mi 53:18 3:12:10 19.70 mi/h
Wind: Little
Course: One lap beginning in Haines City through Polk County's rolling hills and orange groves.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 78
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:52
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:39:49 | 13.1 miles | 07m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/256
Overall: 147/2175
Performance: Average
Split Distance Split Time Race Time Pace 4.4 mi 4.4 mi 32:00:00 3:47:02 7:16/mi 8.8 mi 4.4 mi 33:37:00 4:20:39 7:43/mi 13.1 mi 4.4 mi 34:12:00 4:54:51 7:51/mi Total 13.1 mi 1:39:49 4:54:51 7:37/mi
Course: Three laps around Lake Eva's parks and neighborhoods.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes