General Discussion Race Reports! » Tazewell County Jaycees Tri for Kid's Sake Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tazewell County Jaycees Tri for Kid's Sake - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Morton, Illinois
United States
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 09m 28s
Overall Rank = 8/115
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 1/8
Pre-race routine:

Couldn't sleep worth a nickel! Went to bed at 8:30 and I bet I didn't doze off until close to 11! I was to keyed up to sleep haha. Woke up at 3 before alarm went off and just decided it was time to get moving. Ate some oatmeal and a banana. Got the last few things packed up and headed out. Drank coffee otw down to race and also a cliff bar. I was really nervous going into this event since it was my first ever triathlon. Was one of the first participants there and once they opened it up for packet pickup and body marking I was done in a flash. Got my transition set up and talked to a few people.
Event warmup:

Did some stretching out on the grass in transition and then decided to do a couple hundred yards in the pool. Got dried off and and sucked down a gu and drank some fluids to wash it down. Waited for them to start lining us up.
Swim
  • 06m 10s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

There were some people ahead of me that should never have been there. I had to pass a couple woman that should have been probably 20 places behind me and it was a little aggravating because the first one was a pain to pass because of the serpentine swim. She stopped at the wall after I touched her feet once or twice hehe and let me pass. Overall I felt like I can definitley improve this area. I placed third overall on the swim. There was a 15 year old kid that was a beast in there. Once you swam the yards we had to jump out of the pool and run around I'd say 100-130 yards to the transition. That is why the swim time is slower. I probably went closer to 1:10 or better on the 100's I think.
What would you do differently?:

Not get stuck behind slower swimmers! I was frustrated with it but, there wasn't much I could do about it but just go hard. :)
Transition 1
  • 00m 28s
Comments:

I was 1st overall here!!! How does this happen on your' first tri?!! Seriously!?! Blew my mind that I got first in T1. I was so nervous about transitions and all. I practiced the rubber band on my shoes with them already clipped in during this week and I found it to be extremely easy so I went with it. Guess it paid off.

Not sure what I could improve on. Had an issue with the curb having broken cement right outside T1 but, nothing to get upset over. I was a huffing and a puffing though.
Bike
  • 39m 13s
  • 13 miles
  • 19.89 mile/hr
Comments:

So far the biking area has been my biggest weakness I think. I just started biking and I mean just started in March. I havn't biked in over 12 years really and never anything on road bikes before. I was really happy though with my results today. I was only passed by two people on the bike course and they both had carbon frames and probably 5x the money into their bike vs my Trek 1.2 with aero bar clip ons. It was pretty fast paced I think. When I turned to go east I could really feel the wind blowing on me but, I knew it would only be for a little bit. I did good and lapped a bunch of the people that were still doing their first loop of the bike course. I have improved my bike so much in the last couple months and averaged just under 20 mph. If they didn't have a stupid curb close to transition I would have averaged 20 but, you had to stop and dismount, pick your bike up over the curb and run it to transition. Overall I was really happy and think I could have possibly pushed it just a tad harder.

Just keep getting more saddle time. The results continue to show as the weeks pass on. Like I said I can see this improving more and then getting me even faster in the future.
Transition 2
  • 00m 39s
Comments:

Like I said the stupid curb before transition really screwed with me and most people I talked to didn't like it but, there wasn't anything they could do about it. I had some issues getting my left foot into my shoe that took me a couple extra seconds. Also had an issue trying to get race belt to snap on behind my back.(dummy) I was impressed with the time overall and hope to do better next go around maybe. Was also really nice to hear my wife and kid and sister/ other relatives cheering me on!

When putting my race belt on do it so that I can see the buckle infront of me instead of behind my back. Would have made things easier and run while trying to do it as well would have cut down a few seconds as well.
Run
  • 22m 56s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Oh boy am I glad I practiced doing some bricks! This was tough right out of the gate. I'm pretty sure my HR was spiked pretty good especially at the start. Got a quater mile into it and found a good rytham to go by. I think with it as hot as it was though they should have had two water stations instead of the one at 1.5 miles. It was ok but it would have been nice to throw some water on myself at mile 2 to cool down a bit. I only was passed by one guy and that was the guy who got third overall. We talked for a minute while I ran with him and he told me he was trying to catch me on the swim but, couldn't do it. He finally caught me on the run :P I passed a couple more guys and passed the overall winner for the woman as well. Feet felt like they were bricks at about 2 and a quater mile mark. When I was getting close to the finish my sister was there running and taking pictures yelling for me to go and that I was in the top 10! The only confusing part was you had to run over some timing mats on the sidewalk off the street and there wasn't anyone telling/yelling for you to do that other than my sister who was running along side me and taking pictures. Then you had to run over through the actual finsish line. Confusing.. I heard my wife and other relitives yelling and put on a burst of speed and crossed the finish line whew! The whole run didn't feel like I was going very fast...boy was I surprised.

Possibly put socks on. I ended up getting two blisters on my left foot because my yanks are to tight over there. I figured I would be fine for a sprint but, the shoe was to tight and started to yell at me at mile 2.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for a minute then had to stoop over to try and catch my breath. Drank some water and ate half a bannana.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Experience I think. This was my first tri and I will be analyzing everything about it for the next two weeks to prepare for the next one. Also just need more saddle time in the bike to get more leg muscles.

Event comments:

Overall I had a blast. It started about 10 minutes late I think as well. I think they need more volunteers to point out a couple spots on the run that were not marked on the street and also the whole finish line/double finish line sidewalk thing was confusing coming in the end the race. Thank you sister for directing me! Overall I'd do this race again as long as I have the weekend off. Was a great first triathlon for me and I also got 1st in my AG! Still stoked about that and I got 8th overall!!! Can't believe it!.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-04-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:10 | 437 yards | 01m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/8
Overall: 3/115
Performance: Good
Suit: 2XU Trisuit.
Course: This was a 25 meter pool swim. Serpentine style and I was the 11th to jump in.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:28
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:39:13 | 13 miles | 19.89 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/8
Overall: 23/115
Wind: Some
Course: This was a pretty simple course with a few small hills on the east portion. Simple square route that you had to repeat twice and then head back in a 1/4 mile back to transition.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:39
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:22:56 | 03.11 miles | 07m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/8
Overall: 17/115
Course: Was a run through residential streets and such. Pretty nice neighborhood. No people out cheering you on though :P.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-05-26 7:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
Subject: Tazewell County Jaycees Tri for Kid's Sake

2012-05-29 6:56 AM
in reply to: #4230742

User image

Master
MidWest
Subject: RE: Tazewell County Jaycees Tri for Kid's Sake
Congrats!  You were in my neck of the woods.  One of our friends won his age group as well.  The hot weather even held off for a bit for you.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tazewell County Jaycees Tri for Kid's Sake Rss Feed