Woodlake Triathlon
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 19m 29s
Overall Rank = 16/207
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 5/28
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 0530, made oatmeal and coffee, bags in car, then out the door at 0550.

Arrived to race site 25 minutes later. I love close races!

Once I got there, set up transition, then mingled a bit.
Event warmup:

At 0730, ran for 1.5 miles to loosen up. Then, got wetsuit and headed over to swimstart.
Swim
  • 10m 21s
  • 600 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

For this whole triathlon, I was one of maybe 5 people that were wearing wetsuits. The water temp was cool enough to make them legal, so I have to assume it was either b/c of the temps. For me, b/c I'm not a strong swimmer, I use a wetsuit whenever it is allowed. I am not going to give up free speed!

My AG watched the first wave start, then the RD asked us to get in the start area. I was ready. In the last 20 seconds, I kind of went to the front of the group. What was I doing?!

Once the wave started, I initiated my swim at a hard pace I knew I wouldn't be able to sustain for more than a few mins. Eh, redline, right?! The washing machine effect was in full force! All I could see was white water all around! I love this! Glad no kicks or punches to the face. :)

At the midway point, I started to feel gassed, so I backed off and just went at a moderate, controlled effort. I tried to swim smooth, but I could tell I was just splashing about. Graceful I am not during a swim...

In the last 3/4 of the swim, hooked arms with a pink cap. We were both swimming on the buoy line. I apologized, the kept at it. I also stuck my hand up someone's butt shortly thereafter. Oops! Sorry, pal!

Reached the end without further incident and started to run out while taking off wetsuit and googles/cap. The run towards transition is rough and rocky. Ouch!
What would you do differently?:

I think I had a good swim. I am not fast in the water, so I am pleased with this effort.

Update: Actually, after results were posted, I was shocked with this effort. 5th Ag and top 25% overall? What?
Transition 1
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

Wetsuit got stuck on ankle, but just for one second. I ripped it off, then made sure chip was still there.

I noticed a bunch of ppl had pans with water in them. I guess they were goign to dip their feet in after the sandy run...problem is the run out of T1 is also sandy.

Once results are posted, I'll check, but I think I had one of the faster OA transitions. Maybe not.

Got everything on, then ran out.
Bike
  • 49m 32s
  • 17.2 miles
  • 20.83 mile/hr
Comments:

I came out of the T1 with a HR at 177! Holy cow! I blow up on the bike at 162, so I knew I'd have to take it kind of easy at the start.

It took me about 10 mins before HR was under 160, which is where I have to stay to prevent blowing up.

Leaving T1, I did a flying mount. I swerved a little, but recovered fine and started to ride with feet on shoes. I stayed like that for the next half mile to mile. As I passed ppl, some looked at me like I was crazy for riding that way.

After getting shoes in, I started to hammer away. I had to keep it easy enough to lower HR while still going at a decent pace, so it was a bit of a challenge.

The onslaught of hills began at approximately mile 3.5. At that point, you start to go uphill for 1.5 miles. I was in a hurt locker at this point, but passing cyclist motivated me to keep it going.

Overall, there were four "peaks" to contend with on this route. I made sure I was in the proper gear and just kept grinding away.

At one point, as I passed a cyclist, I mentioned that the hills were killer. It was Alan! We played leap frog for the next 4 or 5 miles, but then he fell back on one of the last hills.

About 1 mile before the dismount, I started to spin faster and then pulled feet out of shoes. I was trying to lower HR for the run. Once I reached the dismount, did a quick dismount, never stopping moving. W00T!

More intervals for those hills!
Transition 2
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

Everything was great, but feet were sandy. I just brushed them off somewhat, then put shoes on and ran out. I was a bit disoriented and couldn't find the run start! Crap! I yelled out to a volunteer and they pointed! THANKS! Time to hammer it!

Ensure I am aware of the run start!
Run
  • 17m 40s
  • 3 miles
  • 05m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Upon starting the course, I just thought to myself...BRING THE PAIN! This is where you're going to catch your AG! BRING THE PAIN!

I started off at a sub 6 min/mi pace, feeling great! The heat and sun were climbing and I could tell it was going to be a rough run. At that point, the road turned off onto a trail! Crap! I'm in race shoes! Then, there was a TON of mud. I just had to grin and bear it as I squished through a few places.

Well, if it's rough for me, then it is probably rough for everyone else. I picked off a few guys from other AGs, then I started to pick off a few guys in my own AG. Oh yeah!

end of mile 2 and I could tell I was starting to hit puke level. I had to back if off just a little. There was a guy chased for the remainder of that mile, but I was just not able to reel him in without losing it. He was about 15 seconds ahead.

Scope out course better so I bring the appropriate shoes.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, stretched, at some food, and cheered for and talked to a few friends.

Talked to a few younger guys after times were posted and they stated I had blown by them on the run. We laughed about it, then talked about Ironman and other races.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The swim...it is my achilles heel. I have to get in the pool more so I don't exit the water with a HR that takes 5+ mins to lower.

I also have to get stronger on the bike. I'm leaving several minutes on the table to stronger cyclists, especially the ones in my AG.

Event comments:

Pretty good race that has potential. I had to leave before awards were handed out, but ppl seemed to be entertained. Atmosphere was festive and fun.

Last updated: 2012-05-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:21 | 600 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/28
Overall: 49/207
Performance: Good
Suit: XTerra Vortex
Course: Out for aprox 275 meters, then swim around buoy and head back.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:01
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:49:32 | 17.2 miles | 20.83 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/28
Overall: 24/207
Heart Rate - Avg HR: 162 bpm | Max HR: 177 bpm
Wind: Some
Course: Hilly course! A bunch of rolling hills throughout the ride, and one big hill you have to climb twice (out and back). Garmin had course at 17.12, but I did turn it on a few seconds after starting.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:50
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:17:40 | 03 miles | 05m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/28
Overall: 3/207
Heart Rate - Avg HR: 162 bpm | Max HR: 166 bpm
Course: Flat course that is part dirt, mud, crushed gravel, and road. Garmin had course at 2.9 mi.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-05-26 10:58 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: Woodlake Triathlon

2012-05-26 11:25 PM
in reply to: #4230887

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA
Subject: RE: Woodlake Triathlon

d00d, now you are hammering away at the NC folks!  Nice race, strong as ever, top25% swim and a run pace that is more freakish with each passing year, you just hammer the run - AWESOME.

2012-05-27 11:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Sounds like a fun race and you made a "special" friend on the swim! My HR is also always really high after these short swims. Not sure why. Part of me thinks it is swimming, then running to transition and all the excitement to get your gear switched. At my last sprint my HR was 147 when I started the bike, which when riding alone is basically flat out for me. But I didn't feel gassed. Pushing hard, yes, but not burning legs, etc. Its kinda weird. Must be fun running so many people down at the end. That is one reason to neglect the swim and bike eh :-) LOL
2012-05-28 8:18 AM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC

hey don't work to much on the swim. I don't want to be the only one flapping around going nowhere.

Nice race. Good solid effort on what sounds like a pretty challenging course. I agree with what was on your blog from someone. Stop worrying about HR and numbers, just hammer.

2012-05-28 1:20 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD

Nice race. And the T1 is even more impressive than the run! 

I always find that my HR is super-elevated at the start of the bike, and I've learned to just not worry about it in the first few miles.

2012-05-28 2:00 PM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA

Nice race.  Your AG rankings were pretty consistent through out all the disciplines.   Well, you were better in the run, but we all expected that. 

2012-05-29 9:45 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
3rd OA on the run...d00d!
2012-05-29 1:31 PM

User image

Elite
N Carolina

Now I've got a new nemesis!!!  Way to go, Dood!!!!!!!!!

See you at the Triangle Triathlon!

Alan

2012-06-05 8:05 PM
in reply to: #4233656

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
japarker24 - 2012-05-29 2:31 PM

Now I've got a new nemesis!!!  Way to go, Dood!!!!!!!!!

See you at the Triangle Triathlon!

Alan

Nemesis for the year! You'll be a youngun in the 40-44 AG next year! Kick arse!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Woodlake Triathlon Rss Feed