General Discussion Race Reports! » Mayesville Buffalo Trails Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mayesville Buffalo Trails Triathlon - TriathlonOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Mayesville, Kentucky
United States
Buffalo Trails Multisport Racing
80sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 11m 50s
Overall Rank = 41/
Age Group = Female 30-34
Age Group Rank = 4/
Pre-race routine:

Arrived in Kentucky the night before the race, checked into our hotel, went and got some dinner- awesome dinner at this little local joint called Chandlers, I had a sirloin steak with portabella mushrooms and a baked potato. We had already decided that since this was a last minute race and the heat that it was a "B" race, which we decided stood for beer, as such I had a couple of beers. We met up with the Tri Parents and chewed the fat for a bit before heading off to relax in the giant jacuzzi tub, get in some core training and a then a good night's sleep. Woke up around 6:15 got dressed, had a cliff bar, walked my bike down to transition (which was directly out the front door of our hotel).
Event warmup:

Riding the shuttle from transition to the swim start up river and then standing around waiting for the barge to arrive sweating my hoobs off in a wetsuit.
Swim
  • 13m 31s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a really fun swim. I was a little nervous since it was a Mass Start with everyone simultaneously jumping off the barge into the river but it all went pretty smoothly until the end of the swim when I was climbing out of the river behind some shumuck who couldn't get his feet on the dock and accidentally kicked me in the face as he was trying to climb out - argh. Did I mention this was down river? There wasn't a super strong current but it did feel really easy, it probably could have been faster if I wouldn't have had to stop and tread water so I could pee - there was no warm-up allowed so I never had the chance to pee until the race started.
What would you do differently?:

Nada...
Transition 1
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

My wetsuit got stuck...and well, I'm just slow, I really should probably practice my transitions...

I dunno, go faster.
Bike
  • 1h 26m 7s
  • 25 miles
  • 17.42 mile/hr
Comments:

This was an awesome bike course, even with the "Big Hiney" which was a hill a mile 8 that was 9/10 of a mile long and averaged a 7.6% grade with lots of twists and turns, every time you thought you might be getting close it would make another turn and you would have to continue to climb. My sole goal for this race, given how bad my bike fitness was, was to endure this hill without falling over or having to unclip and walk - I accomplished both. In the end it actually wasn't that bad, I would sit for as long as I felt I could then I would stand and climb and then I would sit again and then climb again until I made it to the top. The rest of the course was very mellow, lots of rollers, a couple of smaller climbs but for the most part it turned out to be a great course, gorgeous views of the Kentucky Farming countryside, impressive and I was impressed overall with my bike handling skills and my time, I made my gears work for me and given the little amount of bike training I've done this year, I'm very happy with this.

Train more.
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

It's T2 What else do you want me to say?

I dunno.
Run
  • 28m 56s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a disaster...it was so hot and I didn't hydrate well enough on the bike because I had to pee the whole time and didn't want to add to the problem. This run was miserable, the bike course was awesome, the run course not so much. You run 1.5 miles out of town, hang a left, climb what seems like an interminable staircase to get you on top of the natural damn that later gives way to the flood wall, then down a dirt trail next the the flood wall and then along the flood wall for the remainder of the run. This killed me, it was hot, humid and no shade. I lost third place in my age group at mile 2 of the run, the stupid girl with the pink and black cervelo caught me 2 miles into the run and nudged me out of a podium spot - argh! Oh well it was a B race after all.

More hot weather run training I guess.
Post race
Warm down:

Waited for my FTP and my Tri Parents but had to park it in the shade and keep sipping on gatorade and water because I was seeing black with white spots. It was hot and I think I was under-nutritioned, I really need to get a handle on my nutrition, this happened after the Pig Half as well, I was sick and dizzy...something to work on I guess.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Same thing that limits everyone's performance lack of training and killer heat and humidity.

Event comments:

This was a fun race, one I'd like to keep on the annual calendar, however, they really need to add a porta-potty on the bike course and some additional water stops. Outside of that I was really impressed and it was a great race.

Last updated: 2012-05-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:31 | 820 yards | 01m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Full Length
Course: Straight shot down river -sweet!
Start type: Dive Plus:
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:56
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:26:07 | 25 miles | 17.42 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 25 mile Lollypop Loop with a gnarly hill at mile 8 called "The Big Hiney" - it was 9/10 of a mile long and averaged a 7.6% grade, plus lots of rollers and slight inclines and declines.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:56 | 03.11 miles | 09m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/
Performance: Below average
Course: Flat run out of town and then back along the flood wall
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-05-28 3:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Subject: Mayesville Buffalo Trails Triathlon

2012-05-28 3:39 PM
in reply to: #4232130

User image

Subject: RE: Mayesville Buffalo Trails Triathlon
You rocked! Nice job. You did a great job keeping me in your rear view on the bike. :-)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mayesville Buffalo Trails Triathlon Rss Feed