General Discussion Race Reports! » Mayesville Buffalo Trails Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mayesville Buffalo Trails Triathlon - TriathlonOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Mayesville, Kentucky
United States
Buffalo Trails Multisport Racing
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 14m 50s
Overall Rank = 45/69
Age Group = M4044
Age Group Rank = 6/7
Pre-race routine:

We arrived in town Friday evening for a Saturday AM race. This was a short-notice (2-week) decision to enter this race, and I had decided this was definitely to be a fun race, especially given the forecast for HOT. We checked into the French Quarter Inn (race HQ), picked up our race packets, had a nice dinner at a local restaurant (Chandlers) then had a few pre-race malt beverages with some friends. In bed by 11:30, asleep by midnight.
Event warmup:

Woke up to the sunrise in our room at 6am. Coffee, Clif Bar, dressed, prepped the bike and nutrition, and we were down the elevator to the lobby by 6:45am. Literally walked out the front door, and got body marked, grabbed the timing chip, and set up transition by 7a. Had some more water, and grabbed a GU to find the shuttle to the swim start.
Swim
  • 18h 46m
  • 820 yards
  • 2h 17m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was in a little bit of traffic at the start due to everyone jumping off the barge in a wave start, but since I wasn't that fast and my swim training has been less than planned, I just let everyone pull away and settled into a groove. I sighted once then swam for 50 yds and sighted again, made a correction and then settled into a slow and steady groove. Had a little bit of assistance from the current, but it was fairly light. Slight assist getting out onto the dock and then a short 100-yd ish run up some stairs to the transition area by the race hotel.
What would you do differently?:

Find a way for life to stop getting in the way of my swim training.
Transition 1
  • 02m 16s
Comments:

Goggles, cap, and wetsuit off to the waist on the run. Grabbed glasses, helmet, bike, and race belt, and I was off. Standing mount at the mount/dismount line.

Work on running mount technique.
Bike
  • 1h 23m 17s
  • 25 miles
  • 18.01 mile/hr
Comments:

A really nice bike ride through the KY countryside. I was happy with my performance, averaging 18 mph including the big climb.

Get in some serious bike training and bring my cadence up to where it should be.
Transition 2
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

Standing dismount. Lost a few seconds on the dismount, but I wasn't at a point in the race where a few seconds would matter.

Practice and get the time down
Run
  • 28m 59s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Spent the first mile getting the legs to turn over and transition from pedaling. Second mile was hot, hot, hot, and my cadence/pace was disrupted by the 50+ steps up the flood wall.

I didn't push as hard as I could have, mostly because I was just starting the holiday weekend and had a 3 1/2 hour drive in front of me. I didn't want to feel like butt for the rest of the day.
Post race
Warm down:

Refueled - Gatorade, 2 waters, turkey/cheese sandwich, muscle milk. Later a foot-long Subway, chips and a Coke.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat and humidity, my decision to treat this as a fun race, and the decision to skip my last Gu on the bike.

Event comments:

A great race overall. The community puts on a great race. Despite the warnings about how bad the "Big Hiney" would be, I found this to be a fun bike course. The swim was good. The run is what it is, a challenging finish to a nice race. Great organization, and definitely will do this one again when it fits into the calendar.

Last updated: 2012-05-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
18:46:00 | 820 yards | 2h 17m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/7
Overall: 0/69
Performance: Average
Suit: Yes (full)
Course: 1/2 mile downriver swim in the Ohio River. Mass start off of a floating barge just offshore
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:16
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:23:17 | 25 miles | 18.01 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: 25 mile course through the KY hills, including the "Big Hiney" at mile 8, ~7% 0.9 mi long. After that a few rollers and a gradual downhill on the back side. +/- 1500 ft elevation change on the entire course. Great course control from the local police, National Guard, and volunteers. One area of minor construction but otherwise good roads.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 60
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:31
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:28:59 | 03.11 miles | 09m 19s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: First half of the course was on city streets, in the hot sun, no shade. Second half was on top of the flood wall along the Ohio River, mostly grass, but even less shade, if that was possible. Did I mention it was now 84F?
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-05-28 3:35 PM

User image

Subject: Mayesville Buffalo Trails Triathlon

2012-05-29 7:40 AM
in reply to: #4232142

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Subject: RE: Mayesville Buffalo Trails Triathlon
Nice job Hot Stuff! And it may have been down river but there really wasn't  a noticeable current so nice PR on the swim! Thanks for indulging my last minute racing decision and having fun with me
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mayesville Buffalo Trails Triathlon Rss Feed