General Discussion Race Reports! » Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
R&B Sports
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 25m 36s
Overall Rank = 108/767
Age Group = M50-54
Age Group Rank = 6/66
Pre-race routine:

up at 5:30, Clif bar and coffee, walk about a mile from Raddison down to transition. No issues
Event warmup:

none.
Swim
  • 32m 21s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

I became flustered when I learned water was too warm. should have left my tri top in Transition as the one I was wering had big ass pockets on the back, forgot to take off wedding ring as well and had to screw around putting that away. This was my forst non-wetsuit swim of oly or greater distance and I let my major thought be take it easy and don't drown. Cost me big time in the AG placement.
What would you do differently?:

I swim open water once a week, just need to do it without wetsuit to become more confident. Getting this race behind me will help.
Transition 1
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

I was at the end by the bike out so I had a long run to the bike, since I am a runner I did pretty good at this.

nothing
Bike
  • 1h 07m 50s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.98 mile/hr
Comments:

Was worried about all the turns and the one steep hill but was able to make up for my crap performance ascending the hill with good flat and downhill speed. Very happy with my bike especially after such a suck swim

Do I need to invest in aero wheels yet?
Transition 2
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

3rd best in AG, took my time with running shoes but needed to since I was racked in the dirt,

nothing
Run
  • 41m 45s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Garmin had run course at 5.83. To be honest I just ran a 18:57 5K PR two days before so was not so serious about my run. Just kept HR in low 150s and saw where pace went. probably could have run a little faster but it was clear I was going to beat my goal of 2:30 so I really didn't push to hard so I could try to PR again next week at Playtri Festival.

nothing, maybe not run a 5 K two days before.
Post race
Warm down:

Ice bath was great touch, ate, drank.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of confidence in non-wetsuit swim.

Event comments:

From my limited number of races I put this behind Texas 70.3 2012 and just ahead of US Open - Rockwall Oly 2011. Nicely done, good crowd, nice expo, great food after. Accurate and consistent communications to the athletes leads some room for improvement. water temp info and transition close times were all over the place.

Last updated: 2012-02-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:21 | 1640 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 32/66
Overall: 382/767
Performance: Bad
i sucked, got pshyched out when they said it was too warm after assuring everyone at the athletes meeting the water would be cooler. This was my first non wetsuit race at oly or longer distance.
Suit:
Course: Down town lake to the left to almost railroad bridge then back to right past first st bridge then back into shore. Some seaweed, but not bad.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:56
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:07:50 | 24.85 miles | 21.98 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/66
Overall: 386/767
Wind: None
Course: 4 loops thru downtown Austin streets. one short steep hill on each loop, lots of turns
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 79
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:43
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:41:45 | 06.21 miles | 06m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/66
Overall: 69/767
Course: two loops around auditorium shores across congress bridge to 5th and back. slight incline going into downtown.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-05-28 10:26 PM

User image

DFW, Tejas
Subject: Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Course

2012-05-29 6:20 AM
in reply to: #4232581

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Course

congrats on a good race. i had the same swim experience. I kinda feel like the rd should have checked the water temp a few days out and warned people.

the run might have been short. but my garmin lost signal in the tall buildings a number of times.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed