Tri On The Run
89F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 33m 2s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 9/12
Pre-race routine:

This was my 2nd triathlon. We got up at 4:15. I ate oatmeal, left and got there early after a 50 min drive. Got marked and set up quickly in transition. The volunteers were VERY helpful. Had to wait about 20 minutes before we were allowed into the pool to warm up. The pool was a very comfortable, slightly warm temp.
** AG rank is just the Clydes **
Event warmup:

swam 100 and stretched
Swim
  • 06m 44s
  • 300 yards
  • 02m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was happy with my swim. It was a big improvement on my first tri. Having seen a snake style in a large pool where people are going one way in each lane, I much prefer that over going both ways in the same lane. It made passing very difficult. I'm big enough I just shouldered through, but I felt bad that I was in the middle of the lane, shouldering over a female athlete and had someone oncoming at the same time. Sorry about that! Plus, it was clear that some people had seeded themselves over ambitiously.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I felt I had a good swim. After this I determined that I like open water swims better.
Transition 1
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

I wanted to try the flying mount I've been working on. It went well! I wasn't super smooth, but it went fine.

Nothing - it went as good as I wanted.
Bike
  • 48m 23s
  • 15 miles
  • 18.60 mile/hr
Comments:

As this was my 2nd Tri, I decided to learn from my first. First, I didn't try to kill it on the bike. I kept my cadence up and sometimes rode in the drop when in a strong wind. Also, I have found a good mix using Gatorade in one bottle and water in another. That and some Cliff gummy shots kept me going. The cops and volunteers did a good job keeping traffic away from us. A friend of my wife's though got directed into the Walmart pkg lot by a volunteer. When she complained, the volunteer said he was telling a car behind her but she was still ticked (LOL).

I ate one too many gummy shots (Cliff). For some dumb reason, I thought I could get one more in before the run and it was truly one too many. I felt it on the run as a 'lump' in my side.
Transition 2
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

I also did a first, taking my feet out of my shoes, pedaling on top of them, and then hanging off the side coming up to the dismount. I have practiced this at home, but sometimes when I practice I twist a foot and the shoe pops off when I'm stepping off. Thankfully it didn't happen, but I was holding my breath. I am very proud of the dismount and run after the bike session. I actually went into T2 at almost a full run with my bike.

In hindsight, I might have overdone it. I probably need to jog it into T2 rather than sprint in.

I decided to go with socks again. So, putting on socks took 25-30 seconds or so. I think I'm at a point where I need the quick laces. Tying my shoes took about 10 seconds. I had debated whether I should start running without socks (see last race report), but haven't gotten that brave. I may keep looking into this.
Run
  • 35m 33s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

I STANK it up in the run. BAD. I was sick earlier in the week, missed 3 days of work, with either the flu or a bad sinus infection and it was still lingering. By the time I got the run I felt good, but just didn't have it. I walked a LOT. My legs were wore out and even at a slow pace I was huffing and puffing. Plus, I actually started getting occasional chills at this point, which was scary. I was pretty disappointed with myself, but I also am trying not to be too hard on myself as I know it was an extenuating circumstance.

Maybe get some type of shot (antibiotic?) to see if I could get over the sickness at least 2 days before the race. Taking antiobiotics by mouth lets it drag on a while.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked and stretched. But, the run had taken it out of me. With the illness I think I over-perspired and lost a lot of liquid, more than I thought I had. I almost passed out once or twice afterwards if I stood still too long. It was pretty funky. It took me about 30 minutes afterwards to get back to normal.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lingering sinus infection

Event comments:

The race was very well organized. The volunteers were very friendly and helpful. A number of them were community/local volunteers while a number of them were volunteers from the Tri On the Run race team. Hey! I won a $25 gift cert to TOTR so I'm pretty happy!

Last updated: 2012-04-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:44 | 300 yards | 02m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: No
Course: Pool swim. Pool only had 6 lanes. Athletes went up and back in the same lane, ducked under the lane marker, and repeated.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 87F / 31C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:59
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:48:23 | 15 miles | 18.60 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course: The wind was fairly strong, from 15-20 mph at times, blowing in from the south. The course was mainly along I-45 service road. We started off northbound with the wind for a couple of miles, then crossed the freeway and went soutbound into the wind for roughly 8 miles, then came back north and into the college via Emmett Lowry Expressway (FM 1764).
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:22
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:35:33 | 03.1 miles | 11m 28s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: run through a local neighborhood, added some scenery.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes