Burlington, Vermont
United States
Run Vermont
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Went with what is my typical marathon pre-race routine. Ran a depletion run on Saturday and followed that with immediate carb loading.

Got up early on race day and took in 300g of Ultra Fuel and then a cup of coffee. Emptied out well at home and then twice more at the race start. Knew I'd have to stop one more time on-course for a final pee.
Event warmup:

Just relaxed at the start area with some light stretching. No warm-up jog. Decided to just go out easy for the first mile to gauge where my perceived effort would fall.
Run
  • 3h 24m 23s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 07m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt like I was in control of a great race through mile 18. Held back as I had hoped to do and had a great hill climb at mile 15 ... the best I've ever climbed that hill. At mile 19 I realized my splits were dropping and I was simply unable to get them back.
What would you do differently?:

The ankle injury at 3 weeks out kept me from running any serious training miles for the final 3 weeks. I think this made the difference between a sub 3:15:00 and what I ended up with. With the lost fitness, I just couldn't sustain for the final 6 miles.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Ankle injury.

Last updated: 2011-12-01 12:00 AM
Running
03:24:23 | 26.2 miles | 07m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 28/
Overall: 265/
Performance: Average
Splits will be added later once I upload from Garmin.
Course: Hometown marathon course that I've run plenty of times. I think this is the 6th time I've raced this event. My goal is to go out conservatively and then hope to have enough left to slowly open up from mile 18 onward for a slight negative split.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-05-29 8:43 AM

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
Subject: Vermont City Marathon

2012-05-29 10:54 AM
in reply to: #4232909

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Subject: RE: Vermont City Marathon
Great job! I ran (two legs of a relay) last year...what a great race it is...thinking about the full for next year.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Vermont City Marathon Rss Feed