The Hot Springs Friends of the Parks
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 37m 56s
Overall Rank = 76/86
Age Group = F 35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/4
Pre-race routine:

Had a banana and a cup of coffee then a Clif bar on the drive to the race. It's about an hour drive and we were there early enough to be on the second rack from the bike in/out which was awesome! Of course being there so early meant lots of time to wait for race start and at least 3 trips to the bathroom for my nervous bladder :)
Event warmup:

This was a long way for me to run so I just called the first half mile of the race my "warmup"
Run
  • 23m 6s
  • 2 miles
  • 11m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

Decided to stick with my 2 minute run/1 minute walk interval and tried not to push too hard on this first run. I haven't run more than 3 miles in training or ever done a du do I wanted plenty left for the second run
What would you do differently?:

I was fine with my performance. Felt a little dry on the run so should have drank more before the race.
Transition 1
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

As I mentioned before, my rack spot was very close to the bike out & mount area which really helps when walking in speed play cleats. I actually remembered to have the Velcro loosened & open on my bike shoes which made things faster
Bike
  • 49m 4s
  • 12 miles
  • 14.67 mile/hr
Comments:

I made really great time going out then at the turnaround realized there was a damn headwind that had been helping boost me on the way out. I am not used to hills & still figuring my shifting out so this was a challenging ride. I was pleased with my ability to pass a few people on the final 2 miles which was a tough bit of climbing. I know I can do better with practice but I am happy with my ride here given my inexperience. I also hit 28 mph on a downhill which was a first for me and P2!
What would you do differently?:

I need to get more time in the saddle and ride more hills. My saddle didn't kill me as badly as it did at Memphis in May but I still believe there is a better saddle for me out there. I would rather focus on riding as opposed to trying constantly to find the spot where my perineum isn't killing me.
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

I think was a good transition for me. I managed to get my shoes changed out quickly and jogged the run out. I didn't bother getting out of my shoes on the bike because I only had 15 feet to go from the dismount line to my rack anyway.
Run
  • 23m 20s
  • 2 miles
  • 11m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

I was having some major pain in the balls of my feet towards the end of the ride (right worse than the left) and it was really killing me on the start of the run. I was having bad flashbacks to the Little Rock Half marathon in 2010 where I had this pain and totally screwed up my feet for months. Walking helped a bit but the pain was still there. It was only 2 miles so I decided to just tough it out. By the end it was hurting bad enough that I switched to a 1:1 run/walk ratio. Still did pretty well on this run considering!
Post race
Warm down:

Found my husband and quickly got into my Sole sandals with the good arch support which helped the foot pain.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training, training, training!

Event comments:

This is a nice smaller event with good volunteer support and good post race food ( tasty grilled chicken sandwiches!) My husband has done this event the last 3 years so I have been a spectator til now and always appreciated how well it is organized. The course is enough of a challenge to keep it interesting but definitely within reach for the beginner or first-timer. The technical shirts are a nice touch and the kids race following the event is the only kids du around. I will be back next year- no more spectating for me!

Last updated: 2012-05-28 12:00 AM
Running
00:23:06 | 02 miles | 11m 33s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/4
Overall: 0/86
Performance: Average
Average HR= 162
Course: Out and back on greenbelt trail that was mainly pavement but small sections of asphalt. One block was on the road. It was essentially flat except for two small dips toward the creek and subsequent rise out.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
T1
Time: 01:29
Overall: Average
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:49:04 | 12 miles | 14.67 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/4
Overall: 0/86
Performance: Average
Average HR= 170
Wind: Headwind
Course: Out and back course with rolling hills but overall downhill on the way out & then net gain up on the way back. Roads were not closed to traffic but not too many cars and good police control on the major intersections. Some areas had no shoulders and a few spots had gravel plus there was one railroad crossing. 180 degree turnaround was at the bottom of a hill which was rude ;)
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good