Mattoon Multisport
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 19m 50s
Overall Rank = 41/93
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 4/6
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 2AM and fell in and out of sleep between then and 5:30 when I got up. I drank some coffee but didn't eat anything. Was at the race site about 2 hours before the race which was way too early but it was fun sitting around waiting with my Dad talking. We were guessing how old people were and then able to check our guesses because everyone had their age written on their legs.

Did shave my legs before the race which was very uncomfortable for me but I have to say I really like it. It feels cooler, it was easier to write my age and race number on me and lotion goes on easier. Whether it made me faster I dunno.

One last thing, I did do a gel pack 15 minutes before the swim started so I did kind of have something to eat.
Event warmup:

Stretched some and did one 50 yard warm swim. In retrospect I should have done a much longer warm up swim. It was so warm outside I don't regret not doing a bike or run warm up.
Swim
  • 07m 54s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was looking forward to the swim largely because I viewed it is my best event on a relative performance basis. Not sure why but I seemed to hold back too much at the start and I never really got going. Still, there were several positives. I expected to be a little disoriented and out of breath after the swim but I wasn't at all. I expected arm fatigue and had none.

There was not a lot of congestion. We were started in pretty close to 20 second intervals and it was pretty darn close to just like swimming all by myself.

My form wasn't quite right for reason. Maybe I didn't warm up enough or more likely I was just a little nervous in my first triathlon but my performance seemed below what I was doing in training on a regular basis. Still, the overall conditioning and work before the race was extremely helpful I came out of the water not tired or even the slightest bit disoriented.
What would you do differently?:

I should have done more of a warm up. Maybe I should have done flip turns too. I seemed to have plenty of air but I think my biggest mistake was just not turning over the strokes fast enough. I'm not sure what went wrong on race day but overall I was pleased and that was completely the result of as sound a preparation for race day as this first time 50 year old triathlete could hope for.
Transition 1
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

Lost my bike which was kind of pathetic given that there were only 100 or so participants. Didn't take long to find.

Sat down to put on my socks and shoes. Not a disaster but I was trying to be cautious in my first triathlon.

Going to remember where my bike is!
Bike
  • 41m 10s
  • 14 miles
  • 20.40 mile/hr
Comments:

The bicycle ride was probably the highlight of the race and a particular relief as it was what worried me the most. It was just so much more comfortable to be on a flat, smooth road rather than the traffic/hills I normally am in. We started off with a tail wind which put me into just a great mood as I was riding 22-24 mph which I thought might be just what I could do in a race situation (normally train around 18). Then we turned into the wind and I finally realized why I had been going so fast. Slowed down to 18-20 mph (I think) and kept going.

It was in the 80s which is quite a bit warmer than the 60s I've been training in. I thought I would be sweating all over the place but wasn't. Thoroughly enjoyed the ride and the aerobars I've had only had for a couple of weeks.

Hit my goal of 20MPH and was 3rd in age group. 30 overall. Longer term I think cycling may be my strongest event but who knows.

For reasons that escape me, I didn't take any water during the ride. I think it might have helped me in the run to have done this.
Transition 2
  • 00m 44s
Comments:

Sat down to put my shoes on and wasn't the least bit "shaky." I normally am more fatigued so I don't know if I left something out on the ride/swim or was just having a good day.

There were things I could have done to pick up 10-15 seconds but I'll be happy with 5-10 second improvement in the next race.
Run
  • 28m 42s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 44s  min/km
Comments:

I've done brick runs but my legs did feel dead. There was a guy walking at the start and I thought about joining him but decided to just be conservative and trot the race. One could reasonably say I wimped out in this portion of the race but I'm being very conservative because (1) I've had knee problems for the last couple of years and tris are my attempt to run less and exercise more (2) I trained in 60s and race day highs were mid 90s so (I think it was in mid 80s at race time). I just didn't want to mess up what I viewed as a comfortable race up to that point.

I should have started to push hard at the one mile mark of the run. I know I left a fair amount on the table and just said I'd rather be cautious and comfortable.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit. Drank sports drinks.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat was the big issue along with a lack of experience. The elephant in the room that I should mention is that I weigh 150 pounds and at 5'4" that is a little chubby! I really need to get the eating under control.

Event comments:

This was the perfect sprint tri for a first timer like myself. Indoor swim which is less confusing than a lake swim, fairly flat bike course with long straightaways and little traffic, flat run that even had some shade.

Last, plenty of cool drinks and lack of congestion. The small number of participants (around 100) made things very manageable.

Last updated: 2012-05-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:54 | 440 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/6
Overall: 36/93
Performance: Average
Suit: Trisuit
Course: Serpentine swim
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:20
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:41:10 | 14 miles | 20.40 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/6
Overall: 30/93
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Loved the course especially when compared to where I train. Traffic control was very good with only one minor issue in a town the race went through.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:44
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:28:42 | 05 kms | 05m 44s  min/km
Age Group: 6/6
Overall: 72/93
Performance: Below average
Course: Very flat course. Between mile 1 and 2 was shaded which was nice given the middle 80 degree temps.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes