Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Drywall ? again...Need expert and detailed instruction Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2006-05-31 10:58 AM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: Drywall ? again...Need expert and detailed instruction

I have a noticeable crack in the wall which I want to patch up. I bought the patch kit, the spackling compound, putty knife, and fine sand paper...these were what home depot said I needed.

After reading the instructions, I don't get something. After I apply the patch, and compound, and it dries, it says to sand the hardened compound.

Won't there always be a "higher" area around the crack/hole since the patch or compound is partly held on by an area of the patch/compound which is touching part of the surounding wall that is not cracked? (I hope this is making sense).

Do I have to strip the paint around the crack to even it off, or am I applying the compound to the original surounding wall so I just leave all that "untreated?"

Any advice, pitfalls, etc. is appreciated.

Edited by auto208562 2006-05-31 10:58 AM

2006-05-31 11:06 AM
in reply to: #439100

Master
Subject: RE: Drywall ? again...Need expert and detailed instruction

I'm no contractor but my step-dad is.

I would say that you would sand the wall first, patch and sand lightly after until smooth.

2006-05-31 11:17 AM

User image

Expert
Lake Forest, Illinois
I used to think the same thing when I first did some taping (that's the part where you actually use a heavy paper and sandwich it in compound to conceal the crack between two drywall sheets).

As long as the crack in your wall isn't raised itself then you won't run into issues with a high spot. To check this you can usually just run your fingertips along the wall and see if the crack causes them to feel a "bump" or if it is just a crack "depression".

If there is a noticable bump then it may be worth sanding that area down a bit first so that it isn't raised.

If the bump is very small or you can't feel one at all then you really don't need to do any stripping of material.

Take your compound and spread it over the area with the putty knife. You want to use fairly long strokes. The idea isn't just to fill the crack in the wall but also to feather it out at the edges so that the patch isn't very noticable.

There are two schools of thought on this. One is to use alot of compound and then do alot of sanding. The other is to use a few thin coats and not sand as much.

I hate sanding...

So I start with a fairly thin coat of compound. Let it dry and then sand it out a bit and see how smooth it is. If there is a depression around the crack then you'll have to add another thin coat, let it dry, and sand it out again.

Note that if the crack is small then one smooth thin coat is probably going to do the trick. Sand it out until it is smooth and even with the wall surface (on the edges you will be able to see paint from your wall through the compound maybe 2-3 inches from your patch). Then prime and repaint (remember to use colored primer if it is a dark wall). Be sure to paint an area significantly larger then just the patch so that it blends in with the wall.

I think that's all I can think of right off hand 8)
2006-05-31 11:23 AM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA

Oh, thanks...good info. 

The crack is slighting raised, as if someone pushed the drywall from the inside of the wall, and actually a little "flaky" because of it. 

Should I "break" this crack area so that there is no raise at all, so I guess I'd have to cut some of the drywall out, so eventually i'd be looking at a hole (before I patch).

OR

Should I just try to push the crack back even with flakes and all, and try to tape and compound over it to flatten it out?

(I think you'll suggest #1 but just want to make sure). 

2006-05-31 11:29 AM
in reply to: #439145

User image

Expert
Lake Forest, Illinois
auto208562 - 2006-05-31 11:23 AM

Oh, thanks...good info. 

The crack is slighting raised, as if someone pushed the drywall from the inside of the wall, and actually a little "flaky" because of it. 

Should I "break" this crack area so that there is no raise at all, so I guess I'd have to cut some of the drywall out, so eventually i'd be looking at a hole (before I patch).

OR

Should I just try to push the crack back even with flakes and all, and try to tape and compound over it to flatten it out?

Just to clarify, if you were to break out the flakes, and cust some of the drywall out how big a hole are you looking at? Is it about the width of a nail hole or is it more like a 1/2"+ size gap?
2006-05-31 11:40 AM
in reply to: #439154

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA

Thanks again for your help.  I tried to take a picture but the wall is white so it's nearly impossible to see it. 

Regarding your question, I'd say if I took off all the flakes and little cracked parts, it would be about 1/2 inch open gap. 

But there's something else I might not be explaining right so here it goes.  If you think of a triangular block, like one of those parking space concrete stoppers at the end of the parking space (they are sort of triangular in shape with the bottom thicker and the top thinner, like a triangle), so you don't go too far forward.  If you can imagine the floor of the parking lot as the wall, and the actual concrete stopper as the raised cracked area.  (This is a slight exageration).  So, if I took off the flake and cracks from the top of the concrete stopper, you will still have the rest of the raised concrete stopper, just not the top part, where the cracked particles were. 

So I could keep tearing apart this concrete stopper or I could try to push back the stopper after I cleared away the cracked particles from the actual crack.

jmcelroy - 2006-05-31 9:29 AM
auto208562 - 2006-05-31 11:23 AM

Oh, thanks...good info.

OR

Just to clarify, if you were to break out the flakes, and cust some of the drywall out how big a hole are you looking at? Is it about the width of a nail hole or is it more like a 1/2"+ size gap?

2006-05-31 11:47 AM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA

And this is what I'm using as the patch kit which home depot suggested.  It's hyde's wet and set wall and ceiling repair patch.  Is this what I should be using or some sort of drywall tape?

http://www.jnkproducts.com/wetandsetdrywallpatchrepair.htm 

2006-05-31 12:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
If it's just a crack you probably don't need any tape or anything like that. Is the crack very wide? If it isn't you may be able to just cover it with joint compound. If your wall is textured you can buy some stuff in a can that you spray on the dry joint compound after it's dry.
2006-05-31 12:44 PM

User image

Expert
Lake Forest, Illinois
Honestly I'm thinking you may be best served just to clear away the extra stuff and then push the "stopper" back in. Then glaze it with the joint compound and sand. If it doesn't work out you haven't lost anything but a bit of time.

The other way to do it would be just to cut out a section of the drywall and do a replacement patch but that is slightly more involved. Diynetwork.com has a halfway decent explanation (with pictures) of how to do this.
2006-05-31 12:49 PM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

How to patch a crack in drywall (the pro way)

You need

Drywall mud (joint compound)
drywall tape
6, 8, 12 inch drywall knives
mud pan

begin with 6 inch knife and lay a thin coat of mud down both sides of the crack. If the crack is straight, you can pull the mud down the wall in one stroke. The smoother you make this, the less sanding you will have to do.

Unroll the tape over the crack and mud. Smoorth out any bubbles with the small kniofe. Make sure that the tape is firmly embedded in the mud.  If the crack meanders, you will need to tear bits of tape to follow the crack. The tape keeps the original crack from re-forming. Joint compound shrinks as it dries, and if you don't use tape, the crack will re-open.

Allow the patch to dry

For your second coat, use the 8 inch knife. pull the mud as thin and smooth over the crack as you can. If you can cover the crack in one stroke, that's better.

allow to dry and sand out any high spots

repeat the above, with the 12 inch knife.

essentially you are creating a bump in the wal that's so smoothly tapered into the existing plaster that you can't tell it's there without a straightedge. 

2006-05-31 1:43 PM

User image

Expert
Montreal

Make sure you use the paper tape or pre-glued mesh to span over the crack. If the wall is cracked due to movement and might still move, it will crack in the same spot.  Drywall compound has very little tensile strenght.

FWIW I did not stay at the Holiday Inn Express last night, but I am a structural engineer and a home owner.

Mike

Edited by soloryder 2006-05-31 1:45 PM

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Drywall ? again...Need expert and detailed instruction Rss Feed