General Discussion Race Reports! » Tempe International Classic Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tempe International Classic Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tempe, Arizona
United States
Tucson Racing Inc.
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 25m 7s
Overall Rank = 406/443
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 30/31
Pre-race routine:

Got up about 3:30 - ate about 1000 calories; nice and light. Relaxed for a while; check out my bike to make sure everything was good and then set out for the race from the hotel. Got to transition about an hour before my wave was to start. Found a good spot - got a spot on a rack on the end away from the aisle. Set up my area and warmed up.
Event warmup:

Jogged a little bit near the transition area -- nothing vigorous, just to get the heart and muscles going for 6:00 am. About 20 minutes before my wave was to start verified my transition space set up and got my swim cap and goggles (no wetsuits for the race - water temp. 81F) and went down to the water to warm up. Swam a few hundread yards out and then back to the beach. We were then called to the start area -- Clydesdales were the first wave out at 6:30 am.
Swim
  • 36m 5s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 25s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was generally happy with the swim - I finished. It was a worry after last years race, at this same event - in the sprint distance. Overall, though, I was happy with my performance in the swim.
What would you do differently?:

I need to work on my initial endurance. I need to be able to get out faster and then settle in without loosing my wind. I am currently forced to start out nice and slow and settle in, which leave me with a big hole to climb out of on the bike, which I can do to some extent but not enough.
I need to work on being able to start out fast with the pack and then settle in to a nice pace. Just need even more time in the pool!!
Transition 1
  • 03m 48s
Comments:

I was really happy with my T1 after last year's race where I felt like I was going to die and had to walk through the entire T1. This year, I was out of the water and running through T1; removing my cap and goggles as I exited the water and headed up the beach.
Took my time in both transitions -- I wasn't out to set any speed records so I figured I would just make sure everything went smooth.

I will continue to work on getting into my shoes once on the bike. I can do it, but not with enough confidence to do it in a race; especially when the bike mount was on an up hill.
Bike
  • 1h 18m 58s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.88 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt good on the bike. I am so glad I went in for a fitting before the race -- Wow, what a difference -- I am at least a mile per hour faster over a 20+ mile ride than I was before.

I need to continue to work on my hill climbing. I can climb, but I am slow. Part is I need to continue to loss weight and increase flexibility and strength. Need to get back to weight training and to a flexibility trainer.
Transition 2
  • 05m 25s
Comments:

Took my time in T2. I was little gassed after the bike. Decided to take it slow -- again not out to set any speed records; and it was getting hot. Took in some nutrition and water and stretched a little to make sure I wouldn't cramp up right out of T2. Was able to run through transition area to the run exit and felt comfortable.

Time was a little slower than I would like. I need to spend some time working on transitions. I have to think them through to make sure I don't forget anything.
Run
  • 1h 20m 53s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 13m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Course was good -- pretty flat and nice. Plenty of water stations, but some Gatorade would have been nice (truck never showed) -- thankfully I had some gels with me from the bike. Took in the nutrition and water at good levels. I was apparently a little under on my calcs. on the bike because even with regular intervals on the run I was getting a little fatigued as I approached each aid station (which I shouldn't have been wit the regular intakes on the run) -- may need to increase intake on the bike --- may have had something to do with the fatigue toward the end of the bike. ??

As always I start out too fast on the run -- not too severe this time, but I need to make sure I work on starting slow, relaxing and settling in to a good pace.
Had to walk more than I would have liked. Need to stick to the training a little better in the final month before the next race and work on nutrition on the bike to set up for the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Jogged it off around the finish area and took in lots of water, a banana, some orange wedges and some pasta (not much pasta -- too many onions in it -- Wow!).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Endurance and the extra 40-50 lbs. that I am still carrying around. The training plan I used was just to get me to finish, without concern for speed. Once I get rid of the rest of this weight and am where I want to be weight and general fitness wise I will start to work on being faster at the Sprint, 1/4 and Olympic distances.

Last updated: 2005-12-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:05 | 1500 meters | 02m 25s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/31
Overall: 0/443
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Single Lap: East along the north shore of Tempe Town Lake for about 600-650 meters; turned right (to the south) for about 100 meters or so; turned to the right, back to the east for 600-650 meters; then the final turn back to the north to the beach.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:48
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:18:58 | 24.85 miles | 18.88 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Four Loop Course. Couple of moderate hills, but nothing too severe. One of the hills is right out of the transition area, which meant taking it slow to settle in, but other than that I really like the bike course at this race.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:25
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:20:53 | 06.21 miles | 13m 01s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Single Loop Course: Along the lake; through Papago Park; over the bridge; through the beack park; along the lake and back; over the brige again to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-05-31 12:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peoria, Arizona
Subject: Tempe International Classic Triathlon

Okay, I know, it took an awfully long time to get this race report done.

Overall I had a good race.  I was no speed demon, but my goal was just to finish and if possible not be DFL.  I accomplished both -- I finished running (i.e. not walking) and I wasn't last in my age group (Clydesdales).

- Tim

Edited by SwmBkRn 2006-05-31 12:26 PM

2006-05-31 3:07 PM
in reply to: #439220

User image

Veteran
Stirling, Scotland
Subject: RE: Tempe International Classic Triathlon

Well done. It must be a very competitive race as your times look pretty good to me. Great bike leg.

I'm sorry about being so naive but I'm stunned that there was a clydesdale wave. Is that common practise in the US? I'm now wondering what the second wave was.

2006-06-01 10:03 PM
in reply to: #439487

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peoria, Arizona
Subject: RE: Tempe International Classic Triathlon

Thanks for the note.  Yeah, I was really happy with my bike time -- need improvement on the swim and definitely on the run.  Hopefully, that will come with continued weight loss. 

The race start was in waves by age group.  The first wave, however, was Clydesdales, Athenas and the Relays.  Then, they start at 15 minute intervals with age groups.  This was a pretty big race (1000+) athletes, so to avoid the extreme start like IM races they usually break things up.

They usually have the slower groups go out first and work towards the faster groups.  Instead of forcing everyone to start really early so the entire race (the slower people) are done by a reasonable time they make the slower groups start real early (6:30 am), then the faster athletes can start at a more normal time (7:00 or 8:00 am) and finish about the same time.

The Clydesdale division is a division under USAT rules, much like any other age group.  I.E. I could complete in my age group (M35-39) or in the Clydesdale division (over 210 lbs.).

- Tim

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tempe International Classic Triathlon Rss Feed