General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman recovery and training for next ironman? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-05-29 4:30 PM

Harker Heights, TX
Subject: Ironman recovery and training for next ironman?
I just finished Ironman Texas (10 days ago) and have begun to do some easy SBR's. I am doing Ironman Florida in november. I am not sure how much to recover and when to start training for IM FL. and then do i start up again with a 20 week plan? any suggestions would be great!

2012-05-29 4:43 PM
in reply to: #4234112

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Subject: RE: Ironman recovery and training for next ironman?
It depends on a lot of things.  One is age and then there is genetics and overall fitness/years of training long distance/total vollume before the race.  The younger, more genetically sound, more years of training at the IM level with larger base miles you had coming into TXIM and assuming no pulls or muscle issues during the race the sooner you can start building back up.  Usually I take about a month with almost no running (walking is fine 3x a week) z1 bike rides of less than 20 miles 2x a week and z1 swims of less than 1500 yards 2x a week.  This year, after completing my 3rd IM in 3 years I thought maybe I could cut corners and come back quicker....which cost me 6-8 weeks instead of 4 weeks.  I wanted to run a half mary with my son for his first, but it wasn't in the cards.  Results verry a lot.  I am 45 years old, average genetics, history of minor calf pulls and a hamstring pull, nothing serious.  This year I will take the full month as described above.  Now for building, once that month is up you will feel like crap when you start building again, but you can build at a reasonable rate to regain that fitness once the body has recovered.  You will get a lot of opinions on this one.  It is usually better to err on the side of too little than too much.  You may have to feel your recovery once you start working out to see how much you can build that first month of building.  Your second month of training should be more solid and the third month you should be gtg for a nice build which gives you your 3 solid peak build cycles before your next IM.    
2012-05-29 4:57 PM

Harker Heights, TX
thank you for response! I am 38 and IM Fl will be my 3rd in 15months and i haven't had any issues after either one.  i have thankfully remained injury free so far. i did a half IM a month after my first full and then ran 2 marathons back to back. i am definitely going to take it easy for a month. a 20 week plan would start for me right at a month, so based on what you said, that would start my build again. 
2012-05-29 10:07 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
I also just finished Texas and am getting ready for IMNYC in early August. I took a full week completely off and just started training back up today. Like it was said, it'll vary for each of us. Today's 30 min run in the heat felt tough as did the 50' swim. I'll just keep slowly building these next two or three weeks until I feel ready to jump into full build mode. Just listen to your body and take rest as needed. It'll be better to get to the start line a bit undertrained than not get there at all.
2012-05-30 9:55 AM
in reply to: #4234183

User image

Master
New Jersey
armckenzie - 2012-05-29 5:57 PM

IM Fl will be my 3rd in 15months and i haven't had any issues after either one.  i have thankfully remained injury free so far. i did a half IM a month after my first full and then ran 2 marathons back to back.  

First of all, sounds like you got the genetics to deal with alot. For me, I agree with Baowolf in taking it REALLY easy for about a month. Learned my lesson the hard way last time. Felt like I could do stuff, but something was always a little bit off. Paid the price for pushing through it.

Which brings me to my second point...
It's 10 days after your second Ironman and you "haven't had issues". I would be careful with that. Just because you feel good now, doesn't mean there isn't any residual wear and tear on your body that may show up as little aches and pains, or sluggishness. Just be in tune with your body. You might be fine, but back off if things are entirely right.
2012-05-30 1:19 PM

I thought I was superman last year after my first Ironman. I was training for my first ultra marathon at the same time - The JFK 50 Miler. Well, the weekend after my Ironman I went out for a 24 mile run. I thought this would be nothing because I did 20 milers on the saturdays followed by a long bike ride and 10 milers on sundays for IM training. Well my 24 miler the week after IM was 12 miles out and 12 miles back. I made it 12 miles out. But then my legs literally quit. Anything more than a walk hurt to where I knew I was doing dammage. With no cell phone, I forced myself to do the 12 mile walk of shame back home to my worried wife. After IMFL this year, I plan on doing nothing but walking, light rides, and light swims for a few weeks. And I mean light. I literally thought I was 100% healed that weekend after IM. My legs felt great. And then I went for that run....

2012-05-30 1:26 PM

Harker Heights, TX
I appreciate all the advice! i haven't done much except some short slow runs/walks, an easy bike ride and easy short swim this week, and i did nothing but walk the first week. i will definitely take it easy! i don't want to get injured!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman recovery and training for next ironman? Rss Feed