General Discussion Triathlon Talk » stretching question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-06-15 4:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kennesaw, GA
Subject: stretching question
I read an article last night about how stretching can be harmful to you. I know not to stretch a cold muscle, not to bounce and a few other no, no’s to avoid injury due to stretching. But this article more or less made it sound like stretching loosens your muscles which makes you more injury prone, and that the good feeling you get from stretching comes from little tears in the muscle that the body responds to and the response to the tear is why it feels good. This is a little contrary to what I’ve always understood about stretching. I’m no expert about stretches, is there anyone who knows if this is correct?

Here is what I read http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/040621/health/21ligament.htm

2004-06-15 6:01 PM
in reply to: #31598

Regular
Colorado
Subject: RE: stretching question
Hmmm, very interesting article. I hadn't heard that theory before, but have come to a similar conclusion over the years. I wouldn't say that "stretching is bad" at all, but I used to be extremely flexible, and have injured myself several times doing yoga! Now I rely on stretching AFTER my workouts, particularly runs or bikes. Stretching my hams and doing basically light leg/back stretching keeps me feeling good. If I skip the stretches my back starts to hurt. But I don't stretch prior to working out, or to try to specifically improve my flexibility. Right now I just want to stay pain free, and I do believe for me that increasing flexibility tends to increase my injuries.
2004-06-15 7:43 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
northern Illinois
Well, first of all, it's VERY easy to injure yourself doing yoga and I'm quite convinced after 20 years of practice that being hyper-flexible is no advantage in a yoga practice. I've just finished months of physical therapy due to hyperlaxity in the shoulder -not due to yoga, but certainly exacerbated by yoga.

That said, I don't stretch to improve my triathlon performance. I stretch (or do yoga, more accurately) for its own sake. And it gets its own workout time; it's not the warm-up or cooldown from running (or whatever). It's just a kind of physical excellence that I want to have, whether or not it improves anything else.

I'm not too, too worried about the muscle tear thing. It sounds terrible, I grant you -but that's also how muscle strength is built. For that matter, tiny microscopic fractures are how bones get stronger, too.

Certainly not everyone shares my weird goals about yoga and flexibility -or yoga and strength, either. For me, though, yoga has been the biggest help in getting me to focus right here, right now. What is my body telling me? Is this real "something's broken" pain or is it "just" the pain of Idontwanna? It's a kind of paying attention that does NOT NOT NOT come naturally to me. And getting better at that has really helped me stay on the triathlon path.

Well... there's that and the fact that I don't think I could get out of bed in the morning without doing some yoga stretches. Are you people all 22 years old and don't have that morning stiffness thing?
2004-06-15 9:55 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
While I know that just about every well-established theory once started out as a crack-pot idea, I find this a little hard to swallow. "...as muscle fibers lengthen, it takes longer for the brain's messages to tell the muscles to move." What? Does anybody happen to know the speed of a neurological impulse? (Rhetorical: the average human response time is about .75 second. I doubt an extra millimeter of muscle-length would impact that.) I suppose a case could be made for the release of endorphins and feeling better after stretching, but I'd really like to see the actual study. Did these people bounce? Did they over-stretch? Did they warm-up prior to stretching?

If I don't stretch before a run, my hams and calves really hurt afterwards. I do very minimal stretching, compared to some people I see, but I've never had an injury from, or exacerbated by, stretching. Every body is different, and I'm still finding out things that work poorly, good, and very well for myself - light stretching works for me.
2004-06-15 10:07 PM

User image

Champion

yah, i could agree as most dont define 'stretching' appropriately.  it should never be to the extremes.  of course i learned that the hard way with ham and achilles muscle/ligament pulls all the time.  i went to the extreme and held it way too long.  now i warmup by jogging about 2 minutes, do 3 sets of 3 diff stretches only going to ~60% of max stretch and only holding for about 20-30 seconds.  i only go till it feels 'tight'...thats it.  it has helped me alot.  no injuries since and i have increased my mileage dramatically.

of course stretching is highly personal to...some dont even need to, some have too to keep specific injuries at bay.  i have read, ideally that post workout stretching could be the best.  i havent tried personally as by that time i am drinking beer.  who want to ruin that?

i did start an article with some insight from gallaway and friel at: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/directory/link-detail.asp?linkid=196 .  both books have excellant strething sections and you can see how strething has evolved from an extremests view to one of only moderation.  hopefully i can actually finish the article with some moderate stretching pictures/video/routines that has worked excellantly for me...but dont wait with baded breath.

2004-06-15 10:17 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Coast, FL

There was an interesting post on stretching a few months ago I remember in which someone brought up this site -

http://www.vancouvermassage.ca/articles/exercise/stretching.html

I used to stretch like religion before I read that and figured rather than just be a skeptic I would actually attempt my workouts as he describes with a warm-up being a brisk walk leading to light jog leading to running. Same with cycling. "... the best way to prepare for an activity is to start it slowly" I've since bought the Kool-Aid and not stretched since and not had a single injury or noticed any change in soreness levels etc.

Before the flaming starts mind you this is me speaking from my own personal experience. Im sure others have many different views on this. Stretching as a controversial issue

2004-06-16 1:20 AM

Veteran
Seattle, WA
I was about to go on and on about stretching and how I think it benefits me but after reading the article in the previous post, gave it a second thought. As a scientist, I really appreciate knowing where there is data and where there is not--so thanks for reposting that link. Also I figure if y'all have had this discussion before you probably have "heard it all"
I really doubt that stretching can hurt my performance in the triathlon sports, but still will spend 60-120 minutes per week stretching to improve my flexibility. As a martial artist increased flexibility increases the likelihood that I can kick someone in the head! :-)
2004-06-16 8:24 AM

User image

Dallas, TX
I think stretching also depends on the activity.

I play a lot of volleyball and if I don't warm up a little, then stretch, then jump and then stretch again before getting into a game, I'll injure my knees or my shoulder. I'll bet it's the same thing with martial arts, basketball, soccer, etc.

I suspect it's becuase of the nature of volleyball; it's a bunch of short bouts of intense activity... for something like cycling or running, It may make sense to get into it really slowly.

- just my $0.02

Keith

Edited by KPA 2004-06-16 8:25 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » stretching question Rss Feed