General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Proper 70.3 To Full IM Separation Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-05-30 2:53 PM

Subject: Proper 70.3 To Full IM Separation

Hello all, n00bie here.  Can I get some opinions as to what a good separation between the half and full distance are?  I'm certain that there are variables; I'm just looking for some thoughts.

My current schedule is Muncie 70.3 (July) and IMFL (November) with some sprints here and there.  How close to IMFL should I even consider doing a half?  I would like to get another in before Florida if possible, but the last thing I want to do is negatively affect my performance there.

I can also provide some of my background and current fitness level if it is helpful/necessary.

2012-05-31 10:39 AM
in reply to: #4235876

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Subject: RE: Proper 70.3 To Full IM Separation
Most folks are fine doing a HIM 5-8 weeks prior to an IM.  I did one at 7 weeks and it was fine.  Some plans actually recommend doing a HIM as part of your training around 7 weeks out give or take.  If you hit it at 7 weeks, recover 1-2 weeks build 3, taper 2-3 the math works out nicely.  You wouldn't want to do one as a final build week event (3 weeks out) because a HIM is a little more taxing than a 120 mile bike ride, so you may not be fully recovered for an IM effort 3 weeks later.  You would be recovered for training 3 weeks later for sure, but not an IM.  You need to refil those reserves.  Results may vary depending on overall base training, age, genetics, etc.  Some recover quicker, just about anyone should be fine 7 weeks out. 
2012-05-31 10:50 AM

Thank you for the reply.  The HIM that I was looking at is 5 weeks before IMFL so I'll probably look for one a little further out.  I did Augusta last year in 5:43 and I have continued my training over the winter and into this year.  I am in better shape now (and lighter by 12 lbs) than when I did Augusta, but I will still look for one around 7 weeks prior since this will be my first year for full distance.  Branson is 6 weeks prior and not too bad of a drive for me...

Edit: I'm not sure about genetics, but I'm 34 years old.

Edited by rowanjones 2012-05-31 10:52 AM
2012-05-31 11:26 AM

User image

Expert

I did Augusta last year before IMFL and plan on doing it again.  What is that like 5 weeks I think. 

enjoy,

Duane

2012-05-31 11:43 AM
in reply to: #4237271

Yes, Augusta is 5 weeks before and I had a great time last year!  I did just find a half that is 8 weeks out from IMFL that is A LOT closer for me and would save me a ton of cash: Nashvegas Half Distance.  I'll have to do some research and read some reviews on Nashvegas...
2012-05-31 12:08 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
I would recommend NOT doing another HIM prior to your first IM.  Your current schedule is fine.

2012-05-31 12:19 PM
in reply to: #4237350

JohnnyKay - 2012-05-31 12:08 PM I would recommend NOT doing another HIM prior to your first IM.  Your current schedule is fine.

What is your reasoning?  I am not trying to dispute what you are saying, but can you elaborate?  I would like to hear both sides of this.  That's exactly why I started this thread!  The last thing I want to do is hinder my IMFL performance in ANY way.

2012-05-31 12:39 PM
in reply to: #4237372

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
rowanjones - 2012-05-31 1:19 PM

JohnnyKay - 2012-05-31 12:08 PM I would recommend NOT doing another HIM prior to your first IM.  Your current schedule is fine.

What is your reasoning?  I am not trying to dispute what you are saying, but can you elaborate?  I would like to hear both sides of this.  That's exactly why I started this thread!  The last thing I want to do is hinder my IMFL performance in ANY way.

2 HIMs and a full IM (plus some other shorter races) is a big season.  With only one HIM under your belt, I would be careful about planning such a season without much knowledge about how you will recover from those efforts.  An HIM 'lead-up' is unnecessary for completeing an IM.  Contrary to how many people think about a pre-IM race, an HIM is not particularly good as 'practice'.  It can be useful to give you something to train for before you start focusing on the IM (and with a late season IM like FL, having an 'intermediate' goal like that is probably a very good thing). 

I'd recommend training well for your July HIM.  Do a full taper and race it as hard as you can.  Take a week or two to recover fully (train lightly as you feel) and then start ramping back up for IMFL.  Use the shorter races along the way as higher intensity workouts.  That will do more for your IM than another HIM, while also being less 'disruptive' to your IM-specific training. 

Personally, I think *ideal* timing for most first-time IMers is probably in the 10-12 week out range.  That allows for a short recovery and then a final block of IM-specific training (the really long bike rides, swims, etc.) without the training disruption that an HIM can cause in terms of tapering & recovery.  Of course, not everyone is the same and responds to things differently (physically & mentally).  So there's a pretty wide range of what people do in practice.  And as you gain more experience, you'll get a better feel for what may work best for you overall.

2012-05-31 12:53 PM
in reply to: #4237423

User image

Veteran
Arden Hills, MN

I second what JohnnyKay is saying.  In 2010 I did 2 HIM's prior to my first IM and in hindsight I think it was too much.  During that 2nd HIM I was worried about getting a little rest in prior to the race, then recoverying when I would have been better served nailing my peak weeks.   

This year I'm doing an early season HIM which is 11 weeks before my IM.  I may do some sprints for fun but that's it.  

2012-05-31 1:00 PM
in reply to: #4237423

JohnnyKay - 2012-05-31 12:39 PM
rowanjones - 2012-05-31 1:19 PM

2 HIMs and a full IM (plus some other shorter races) is a big season.  With only one HIM under your belt, I would be careful about planning such a season without much knowledge about how you will recover from those efforts.  An HIM 'lead-up' is unnecessary for completeing an IM.  Contrary to how many people think about a pre-IM race, an HIM is not particularly good as 'practice'.  It can be useful to give you something to train for before you start focusing on the IM (and with a late season IM like FL, having an 'intermediate' goal like that is probably a very good thing). 

I'd recommend training well for your July HIM.  Do a full taper and race it as hard as you can.  Take a week or two to recover fully (train lightly as you feel) and then start ramping back up for IMFL.  Use the shorter races along the way as higher intensity workouts.  That will do more for your IM than another HIM, while also being less 'disruptive' to your IM-specific training. 

Personally, I think *ideal* timing for most first-time IMers is probably in the 10-12 week out range.  That allows for a short recovery and then a final block of IM-specific training (the really long bike rides, swims, etc.) without the training disruption that an HIM can cause in terms of tapering & recovery.  Of course, not everyone is the same and responds to things differently (physically & mentally).  So there's a pretty wide range of what people do in practice.  And as you gain more experience, you'll get a better feel for what may work best for you overall.

Thank you for your detailed response.  You do make some very good points.  I do have more of an endurance background than my original post lets on so that could factor in too, I'm sure.  I am new to triathlon (Augusta was my first and only at any distance), but I have been endurance mountain bike racing for a couple of years now, too.  These are typically 6-8 hour MTB races and I can average a HR of about 160 during that period.  I have raced 3-4 of these a year.  Also, in terms of schedule, I ran the Flying Pig Marathon in May (my first, 3:46) and I have some mountain bike races coming up, too.

2012-05-31 1:04 PM

Thanks for the input, DB. 

I think that I may be just excited about this new venture of mine called "triathlon" so in my mind I'm trying to figure out a way to do more and more, but more isn't necessarily better as you guys have stated.

Edit: Fixed typo.

Edited by rowanjones 2012-05-31 1:26 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Proper 70.3 To Full IM Separation Rss Feed