General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » newbie to tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-06-15 5:13 PM

Saskatoon
Subject: newbie to tri
Good afternoon all.

My name is Heather, aka Dr. Bones, and I am a newbie to the sport, and finding that I am addicted. I did a duathalon in April, and enrolled in a program for women called Y-not-try-a-tri, and since that time, I did a team triathalon, and a small triathalon put on by the Y-not gals. I am registered for a sprint distance tri in another city at the end of June, as well as two 10 k runs, and a relay team for the Regina Marathon in September. Yup, busy summer, but I finally got off of the couch, and got moving after I bought a treadmill in January. I am looking forward to setting a few more goals for myself, including a bigger tri next year, and doing a few more runs. If everything goes okay, maybe a 1/2 marathon???? Who knows where the road may take me......

A bit of history- I started doing something this year, as I found that as an asthmatic, my condition was getting worse, and I was more dependant on meds to help me through the day. I bought a treadmill, and started on a walk/run program, focussing on time to help me start to condition my cardiovascular system. I also learned to swim! Now, I have noticed that I only take my control meds, but not my emergency meds, as I don't really need them much anymore!(alt ;-) (although I still carry them with me, just in case...) I was also overweight, and 170 pounds for 5'3"- I am now down almost two sizes to a size 10, but not much change on the scale. I find that odd, but look quite a bit slimmer than the winter's pictures. Hopefully the weight loss will start to happen soon- has anyone else experienced that? Loss of size before weight?

Also, I am looking for some help with recurrent shin splints. I had an x-ray in the spring, revealing a small stress fracture. I did rest and gradual return to activity, however find that when I start to increase distance, my left shin begins to ache. I have new shoes, and orthotics, but any suggestions from some of the more experienced would be really appreciated.

I look forward to the posts, and what I can learn from the group.

Happy trails,
Bones

2004-06-15 5:49 PM
in reply to: #31602

New user

Indianapolis
Subject: RE: newbie to tri
This is going to sound idiotic, but I have done it for years for shin splints and it works. After your run, walk a bit backwards. It helps if you can do it on a treadmill so you don't look like a dork out there on the trails. Typically, if I run anwhere between a 5K and five miles, I will walk backwards for a quarter mile afterwards.

Ice helps, too. Shin splints are just tiny tears in the muscle fibers, but one thing I have been told that you should never do is run through the pain. That only makes them worse.

Hope this helps out some.

80n3j3573r
2004-06-15 6:14 PM

Saskatoon
Thanks for the info!! I have a long training run tonight, so I will try that little tip after!
2004-06-15 9:41 PM

User image

Champion

welcome.  great job on med reduction and your weightloss.  many here will say to ignore the scale and focus on you actual measurements.  sooooo YES!  you are slimmer then winter.  relax and it will come.  make sure your fitted with running shoes at a runners store preferably.  depending on your shoes, if properly fitted, u may not need the orthotics to run in...and yes, walking backwards to alleveiate shin splints - atlhough never tried by myself - seems to be more fact than fiction around here.

best of luck!

2004-06-15 11:13 PM

User image

Expert
Lake Geneva
Welcome! I also suffer from shin splints. I warm up before a run by walking a bit (5 minutes) and then doing calf raises on a step or curb. I do about 20 or so. Along with my orthotics this works for me. In highschool I used to do the walk backwards thing with my soccer team and no one ever had shin splints on our team. Go figure!
-Jeanne
2004-06-15 11:29 PM

New user

Dr.Bones! (cool handle)
CONGRATS on the better living. I have never had any breathing issues but I could only imagine the difficulties, GOOD FOR YOU on making wiser long term decisions. As for the weight issues, I can jump in on this one. I am YO-YOer since I was about 15 I have been the same height 5'11" . I have Yo-YOed my weight from 190 - 235, YIKES! There has not been any particular reason for this accept, my life style, eating habits, an clothes? I have lost weight purposely 4 times in 19 yrs. All done by will power and tired of being fat and uncomfortable all with limited suscess. Only once did I loose weight correctly, by fluke. SO After fooling myself with the " It comes off easy so I'll wait till after the holidays or when ever" or starving all of the water and nutrition out of my body (aka:the scale game) or the world famous Atkins diet, I felt at 34,235(still 5'11"darn) it was time to make a change.

I have enjoyed bicycling (M.B. or R.B.) in my adult years as a fun thing to do, never enjoyed running much, never ever did any swimming competitve or non, just the understanding of how to. At book store one night, looking for my usual Golf mags, or Bicycling mags and vwala, sitting next to the triathlon mags was a book called . Yes, I thought it was a joke, but the lady on the cover looked pretty sincere in her quest. read the book that night cover to cover (easy reading). I believe this is what triggered this process but could be a litttle of everything. I have been training ever since, don't care about my weight, didn't even look at a scale for 6 weeks. I have been training for 10 weeks. I use the rule of " Do not eat anything that you would not feed to your toddler" (mine is 2) it works for me and the grocery list is much simpler.I have been riding,running or swimming, everyday since this quest started. I was lucky enough to sign up for a local sprint series (4) staring this Sunday (CAN'T WAIT!) I feel in better shape than I have in a long time, my weight is now 213, however I fit into all clothes of the 200 lb days. I have a big body frame for my height so all I can figure is it must be muscle? My inital goal was to be around 200. I don't think I could be below this and be healthy but again, no worries, I like what I am seeing and feeling, hearing. IF YOU LIKE WHAT YOU ARE SEEING, FEELING, HEARING keep it up and don't let the little fat ,..., oops flat meter discourage you. Steve

P.S. Where is Saskatoon?

Edited by Headstill 2004-06-15 11:32 PM

2004-06-16 8:51 AM

Regular
north end of vancouver island, BC, Canada

Welcome fellow Canadian!!! Good work on your training Heather. Your weight loss will come. I started out at 220 and I'm now 170 (goal about 150 or so). It has been slow but sure with a few back slides now and then. I too started on the tready...got mine for my 40th birthday present and had decided that the backside of forty was not going to be like the front side...so far so good!! Where is your Sprint Tri?? I'm doing one in Victoria next month, and one in Parksville in August (both on Van. Island) and then the Mission Bay in Sandiego in October (my brother and family live there, so will turn the vacation with my 5yr old into a tri event too!!)

Darlene
2004-06-16 9:35 AM

Saskatoon
Hey! Thanks for all of the encouragement. You guys rock! Had a great training run last night- I am taking a clinic on Learning to run 10k, and we did drills last night...running up stairs and hills. Eek, but seemed to go okay. Tonight am planning to go and do a bike and run, tomorrow is swim and run in prep for the sprint distance tri on the 27th June in Regina (Saskatchewan, Canada)! That is the last tri for me this year, but am training for a marathon team relay in Sept, as well as two other races, so will still keep up the other cross training in prep for the tri season here next year. I am really hoping to do some longer races, so am planning on joining a masters swimming program for stroke improvement.

What I am finding is that different people have different opinions to training. My parents think I am totally nuts and burning myself out, and my partner keeps buying me donuts....my friends are quite supportive though, and have started to work out with me but it has been a fairly solitary drive to fitness. I like it though, and I like the way it makes me feel. I am way more relaxed, and am able to not only talk the talk, but walk the walk with my patients regarding fitness and core strength!
Heather ;-)

PS- Dolly- you are in my most favorite part of BC! I will be out there, but not in your neck of the woods this summer...I am going to Penticton to watch the Ironman! They run right by my parents condo!

Edited by drbones 2004-06-16 9:37 AM
2004-06-17 12:09 AM

Elite Veteran
Boise, Idaho
Welcome
2004-06-18 4:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Midcoast, Maine

Hi heather,

Your story is great, I love to hear stories about people who  turn things around for themselves.  The stress fracture would worry me though espicially if it is the same one that is causing you pain when running distance.  I was putting in alot of distance and got a stressfracture on my 3rd toe, so I laid off running, but was still able to bike moderately, and swim.

2004-06-19 4:35 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Welcome to the T-spot!

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » newbie to tri Rss Feed