General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Eagleman Tri next weekend!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-05-31 3:21 PM

Subject: Eagleman Tri next weekend!!!
So i have to say that i am entered in this event and i am VERY nervous!!  this is my first half IM and i feel like i could use a couple more weeks to train for it!!  i have been training since january but honeslty lately life and kids have gotten in the way!!!  HELP!!  any advice!! 

2012-06-01 9:21 AM
in reply to: #4237752

User image

Extreme Veteran
Overlea/Fullerton Maryland
Subject: RE: Eagleman Tri next weekend!!!

Well there is nothing you can do about it now.  Do not go out and try and cram some training in this week. It wont do you any good. Stay hydrated, stretch, go for some light training just to keep the muscles moving, but don't push because you don't want to get hurt this week.

Eagleman is typically hot, probably will not be wetsuit legal but bring it just in case. If you have any new gear you bought, now is the time to try it out BEFORE the race. 

In the mean time just relax, once the race starts you'll be having a great time.

Oh.. make sure you sun block in transition, I got burned real bad last year.

Oh,.and good luck

Edited by Grnfsh 2012-06-01 9:23 AM
2012-06-01 10:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
AimeeReeves - 2012-05-31 4:21 PM

So i have to say that i am entered in this event and i am VERY nervous!!  this is my first half IM and i feel like i could use a couple more weeks to train for it!!  i have been training since january but honeslty lately life and kids have gotten in the way!!!  HELP!!  any advice!! 

I've done the race 3 times with last year being my best after a disastrous run on the course in 2009! Other than what Grnfsh said, a few notes:

- The bike course is flat and therefore very deceptive because you may feel like just hammering. But, you need to save something for the run. So spinning more than mashing will help with that.

- Winds can be screwy on the course sometimes. I made the mistake in 2009 of really pushing rather than spinning when I had a headwind for 25 miles on the bike. That plus dehydration led to my run completely falling apart. So, don't fret about reduced speed if you hit a headwind. Gear down and spin more rather than fighting the winds. You'll have a better run.

- Hydrate. It's easy to get wrapped up in the race and forget. Last year, I learned from my mistakes in 2009 and while I had hydration and nutrition with me on the bike, I took water at mile 30 just to avoid cramping. I also followed my plan to take the Gatorade at the 40+ aid station too. I also took a cup or two of water after T2 at the aid station right there again to avoid cramping. This could be especially important if it's hot.

- Now, me, I take a wet towel on the run and wrap it on the back of my neck if it's hot. There's no shade on the run and this helps cool me a bit during the run. I can also remove sweat as needed.

- The first time I did this race in 2008, it was 95 degrees when I started the run with heat index to 102 later on the run. Survival mode kicked in and I adjusted my race strategy. So recommend you jog/run to each aid station and walk through them. Take whatever you need, but especially ice under your hat (no visor if it's hot), water and gatorade as needed to replenish fluids and electrolytes. Start back up when able to jog/run to the next aid station...repeat. Walk as needed in order to finish.

- Swim - relax, relax, relax! Take one buoy at a time and take the swim easy and steadily. The Choptank can live up to its name and be a bit choppy, but I've not had problem if I just keep steadily progressing to the next buoy. And the swim is my worst of the three disciplines.

- Don't rush through transitions. Should be smooth though. Ensure you have what you need for the next part. You don't want to forget anything you've trained with.

Like Grnfsh said, this is the last few days to practice with any new gear. But, no untested methods, nutrition, or gear on race day. Race as you trained.

Feel free to read my race reports too as they're very detailed. Above all else, enjoy! It's an awesome event and it was my first HIM as well back in 2008. It was such a thrill to finish, especially because I did relatively well for such a hot event. GOOD LUCK!

2012-06-03 8:44 AM

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
Eat as much ice as you can on the run.
2012-06-03 6:11 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania

I've seen variations on this question, but not much feedback. So I'll ask again.

My wife and two children are coming to Eagleman. They would like to watch the start and finish. They are not keen on sitting around for 8 hours. (That's going to be my reality.)

We aren't staying in town. My aunt and uncle live on the eastern shore, so we're staying with them.

This means no walkable hotel room with pool in Cambridge, which would have been great for them.

Is there anything resembling a beach they can get to during the race?

Is it sensible to shuttle back to the car and come back later for the finish?

2012-06-03 7:19 PM
in reply to: #4242049

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
TheClaaaw - 2012-06-03 7:11 PM

I've seen variations on this question, but not much feedback. So I'll ask again.

My wife and two children are coming to Eagleman. They would like to watch the start and finish. They are not keen on sitting around for 8 hours. (That's going to be my reality.)

We aren't staying in town. My aunt and uncle live on the eastern shore, so we're staying with them.

This means no walkable hotel room with pool in Cambridge, which would have been great for them.

No, not really.  If you follow the edge of the water, I'm sorry I don't remember the direction, there is a little sandy strip there.  My wife and I dipped in the water once after a bike ride out there.  But I'd hardly call it a beach. 

It might be best, depending how old your kiddos are.  8 hours in the Eagleman heat could be pretty rough.  You might want to check with the Hyatt about activities they may offer.  I'm not sure if it's for guests only, but they have stuff that may be accessible. 

Make sure to hydrate well, and eat ice when you can.  Hopefully this year it won't be quite as hot. 

Have fun!

2012-06-04 2:00 PM
in reply to: #4242049

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
TheClaaaw - 2012-06-03 7:11 PM

Claaaw,

They will probably be about 45min-1hr drive from Ocean City, MD. They can go to the inlet and park for like $10 or something for the whole day and walk onto the beach from there. Also, that parking lot is where the boardwalk is and there is a ton of games and rides to be had there also. Not sure how much $$ they are willing to spend but OC also has a waterpark/amusement park called "Jolly Roger" that they could go too as well. I am not sure what street it is on but somewhere along Coastal Highway in OC. There are also mini golf courses every other block if that is something they want to do. If they dont feel like paying for parking, I would recommend going into OC and driving north towards delaware and finding street parking on the bay side and then walking across Coastal Hwy and onto the beach. The farther north you go, the better your chances of finding parking are. OC goes from the inlet to 142nd street so there is always parking to be had on bayside and to the north but it will be a farther walk for them to get to the beach. Hope this helps.

2012-06-04 3:40 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to let them just sleep in, then come to the finish. They can spend the day at my aunt and uncle's house. Then after finish line, we'll drive to Rehoboth for the boardwalk and Grotto.

Then they can get a slice of my childhood beach experience - staying in Denton, driving an hour each way to the beach, plugging the meter, driving home in a hot car.

The Dewey experience was a much better one for them - heck, we chose the motel based on the route, and they watched me from the balcony.

I did get something special for them to hold out at the finish line, so I can find them easily. Something only I would bring to this race.

This way, my wife can drop me off, and if she wants, watch the swim and make sure I get out. Then she can head back to the house and wait with them in the AC. They've seen swim starts, it's the finish line that matters this time around.

2012-06-07 9:42 AM

User image

Arnold, MD

Claaaw,

Im going to come find you and say hi again. Good luck buddy... this is my first 1/2 iron and I expect to be hurting on that run. Say a prayer for cool temps in the afternoon... I am Cool

- Vin

2012-06-08 9:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Claww..

Good luck man, Ill be looking for you out on the course. By the way do you perfer "Go Claww!" or "Go Doughboy!"  for a yell? 

2012-06-08 10:58 AM
in reply to: #4251540

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Grnfsh - 2012-06-08 10:12 AM

Claww..

Good luck man, Ill be looking for you out on the course. By the way do you perfer "Go Claww!" or "Go Doughboy!"  for a yell? 

All about the doughboy - that's the shirt. I'm hard to miss. Purple shirt - block white letters.

I'm in the 7:26 swim wave, so I'll be getting out of the water about the time the last wave goes in at 8:30.

I ordered a custom DOUGHBOY ON BOARD trip top from Scudo, but it's not here yet and we leave in the morning. Oh well.

2012-06-09 5:12 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania

Pro forum was awesome. I Wanted to get the mic and ask

"are there triathlons on your home planet of Krypton?"

2012-06-12 8:15 AM
in reply to: #4251813

User image

Extreme Veteran
TheClaaaw - 2012-06-08 11:58 AM

Claww..

All about the doughboy - that's the shirt. I'm hard to miss. Purple shirt - block white letters.

I'm in the 7:26 swim wave, so I'll be getting out of the water about the time the last wave goes in at 8:30.

I ordered a custom DOUGHBOY ON BOARD trip top from Scudo, but it's not here yet and we leave in the morning. Oh well.

Hey dude.. that was me talking to you during the swim after we made the final turn for the home stretch.  So how did you make out? 

I posted a big fat DNF.  I was sick all week and never recovered. Never made it out of T2. 

2012-06-12 8:26 AM
in reply to: #4257206

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Grnfsh - 2012-06-12 9:15 AM

Claww..

Hey dude.. that was me talking to you during the swim after we made the final turn for the home stretch.  So how did you make out? 

I posted a big fat DNF.  I was sick all week and never recovered. Never made it out of T2. 

Sorry to hear about your DNF man, it was a brutal day out there from what I heard and it was HOT!

2012-06-12 8:35 AM
in reply to: #4257235

User image

Extreme Veteran
dmbfan4life20 - 2012-06-12 9:26 AM

Claww..

Sorry to hear about your DNF man, it was a brutal day out there from what I heard and it was HOT!

thanks, Yeah it was brutal.  The DNF just motivates me to train harder and kick Eagleman's azz next year.  Sub 5hrs or bust next year and that's all there is to it. 

2012-06-12 2:28 PM
in reply to: #4257206

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania

For a while I had trouble believing that actually happened, since there was such a slim chance of us crossing paths like that and catching an eye to recognize someone. I have to tell you, that put a pep in my step. Or swim. Totally random and awesome moment for me.

I DNF'ed after mile 9 on the run. It wasn't pretty. I just got done writing about it on my blog. 

So sorry to hear about your DNF and illness. Look at it this way: we're in good company with Miranda Carfrae.

2012-06-12 2:50 PM

User image

Elite
I saw you Claw! But I was on mile 11 and brain dead. I saw the doughboy shirt and thought I think I know him....but my brain dead self took a minute for it to process.I had a 6 min pr on the bike (got my elusive 20mph split! Only took 5 years) and had a 14 min pr going if I could only maintain a 10 min mile. I had done 9:30 the first two and those are usually my worst miles. And by mile 4 it was 9:50, mile 5 it was 10, mile 6 was 10:30. PR just slipping away...I did theath and knew if I could keep it below 10:45 it would still be a pr. Alas my lungs weren't having it. I had an awful headache (whuch lasted till 12 pm on Monday) and I couldn't get a deep breath to save my life. My lungs hurt more than any im I've done or other HIM and this was my 5th Eman. I managed to tie my PR, which was achieved in 2007 when it was 75, overcast, and the swim was short.All things being said, I love this race. It's deceptively challenging. Do not beat yourself up on a snf. The eagle claims victims every year. This year it seems that many who wore wetsuits got overheated early on.
2012-06-12 7:31 PM
in reply to: #4258103

User image

Extreme Veteran
TheClaaaw - 2012-06-12 3:28 PM

For a while I had trouble believing that actually happened, since there was such a slim chance of us crossing paths like that and catching an eye to recognize someone. I have to tell you, that put a pep in my step. Or swim. Totally random and awesome moment for me.

I DNF'ed after mile 9 on the run. It wasn't pretty. I just got done writing about it on my blog. 

So sorry to hear about your DNF and illness. Look at it this way: we're in good company with Miranda Carfrae.

Well glad I could pep you a bit during the swim.  Ive had plenty of time to mull it over and there is no shame in a DNF on a day like that.  That was my first DNF ever and it was a big hit to my ego.  Ill just use it for motivation for next year.   

hey you made it to mile 9 on the run, so you beat me. 

Edited by Grnfsh 2012-06-12 7:32 PM
2012-06-12 7:44 PM
in reply to: #4258609

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grnfsh - 2012-06-12 8:31 PM
TheClaaaw - 2012-06-12 3:28 PM

Well glad I could pep you a bit during the swim.  Ive had plenty of time to mull it over and there is no shame in a DNF on a day like that.  That was my first DNF ever and it was a big hit to my ego.  Ill just use it for motivation for next year.   

hey you made it to mile 9 on the run, so you beat me. 

hey, I just read your blog. Glad you are driving on and not giving up. I know its a heart breaker to not succeed but don't give up. I felt pretty defeated too, but like you said there is more than one lesson to learn.  Coming back and trying again and slaying your demons is just as important as succeeding the first time.  Good luck, ill see you on the course again next year. 

Edited by Grnfsh 2012-06-12 7:45 PM
2012-06-12 10:38 PM
in reply to: #4258103

User image

Rockville
Claaaw, I believe I saw you when you were just out of T2.  I was hesitant to say anything to you as I had already finished and was wearing the finisher's medal.  You looked quite fresh.   I wondered what made you to DNF at mile 9, so I read your blog.  Sorry to hear that you had so many troubles during the race.  That actually makes you more experienced triathlete than most of us, finishers.  I wish you better luck next time.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Eagleman Tri next weekend!!! Rss Feed