Broad Street Run
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 47m 14s
Overall Rank = 25960/34013
Age Group = M 50-54
Age Group Rank = 847/998
Pre-race routine:

Had a banana, peach and pom juice smoothie along with a small bagel with PB at around 5:30-6:00. Rode to the race site with Jim Chin and his wife, she dropped us off a few blocks south of the start, where the porta-potties had very small lines. Much nicer than riding the subway up.
Event warmup:

Walking from the porta-potties to the start line. Went to the BR again, against the wall inside the stadium near the start, actually saw two chicks bear their asses to pee in some bushes. Amazing how most of our private inhibitions go out the window at this race.
Run
  • 1h 47m 14s
  • 10 miles
  • 10m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Definitely started out too fast...ran the first two miles in 19:40. That's OK for a 5K or 10K, but not for 10 freakin' miles. Forced myself to slow up after that, hoping I'd be able to step it up later in the race, especially the last two miles. Still ran 10K in a little over 1:04, still too fast. And, unfortunately, I was only able to manage 20:50 for the last two miles, so I probably lost a little as a result of the faster start. But other than that the plan worked out pretty well. I walked through all the water stops, and walked for 20-30 seconds after each mile, then for a minute after some of the miles in the middle of the course.
What would you do differently?:

Take it a little easier at the beginning in hopes I'd have a little more at the end.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked with the herd to get water and goodies (plus a nice medal), then fought through the press of crowd and runners to get the heck out of the Navy Yard and back to the subway into Center City to meet TSW.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Pushing a little too hard early.

Event comments:

I suppose the race actually was on time, but it was 45 minutes before my group crossed the start line. And again, I went with the wrong group! But always a fun event during the run itself...not so fun at start and finish with the crowds. A good way to get in a long run.

Last updated: 2012-04-19 12:00 AM
Running
01:47:14 | 10 miles | 10m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/998
Overall: 0/34013
Performance: Average
Course: Straight down Broad Street, from just near the Olney Trans Center to the Navy Yard.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes