General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TryCharleston 2013 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-04-16 8:40 PM
in reply to: #4238656

User image

Carrboro, NC
Subject: RE: TryCharleston 2013

Anyone camping at KOA Friday night and have some room for an extra tent? I'm only staying the night Friday, but KOA makes you book for 2 nights on the weekends :/

Would love to share and help chip in if anyone is interested! :)

2013-04-17 2:05 PM
in reply to: #4703324

User image

Veteran
I'll be headed down this weekend for the Half myself. I am looking forward to the completely flat bike course more than anything else.  I keep telling myself that this race is more of a test run for IMLOU in a few months than a race but I know the competitive side will come out a few 100 meters into the swim! 
2013-04-17 3:36 PM
in reply to: #4704422

Veteran
The good- there calling for high of 70, last year it got really hot on the run.
The bad- 50% chance of rain with possible thunder storms.

The rain doesn't bother me but I worry about something getting cut short due to thunder storms.

Lets hope the weather comes EARLY on Friday, everyone have a great race and I'll see you there.
2013-04-18 8:20 AM
in reply to: #4704556

User image

Veteran

Rover24 - 2013-04-17 4:36 PM The good- there calling for high of 70, last year it got really hot on the run. The bad- 50% chance of rain with possible thunder storms. The rain doesn't bother me but I worry about something getting cut short due to thunder storms. Lets hope the weather comes EARLY on Friday, everyone have a great race and I'll see you there.

I was wondering about the possibility of thunderstorms, too.

mamooney - I wonder if you could check with TrySports or Trek Bikes to see if they know of anyone camping at KOA?

Setup trailer is already out there at the lake! I'm getting excited/nervous already, and I'm only doing the sprint Laughing It's just the first of the season... always a little nerve-wracking!

2013-04-18 11:18 PM

User image

New user

Irmo, SC
GATORS?!?!?
2013-04-19 8:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Good luck to all those racing this weekend.  I do hope the bad weather comes thru early and doesn't mess the race up.  

2013-04-19 9:08 AM
in reply to: #4706806

User image

Veteran
I know they won't make an official decision on the race and weather until tomorrow but is anyone hearing any rumors?
2013-04-19 9:16 AM
in reply to: #4706873

User image

Charleston SC
clemson05 - 2013-04-19 10:08 AMI know they won't make an official decision on the race and weather until tomorrow but is anyone hearing any rumors?
Official..."This email is a very important weather update for TryCharleston 2103.  Current weather forecasts call for severe thunderstorms to move into the area around 7PM Friday night with them clearing sometime Saturday morning.  Please note: TryCharleston will proceed as planned.  If alterations to the event have to be made on event morning due to lightning we will make the appropriate call then.  We anticipate the thunderstorms to be clear by start time at 7AM.Again, TryCharleston will proceed as normal at this time. Jeremey DavisSCTS - Director"
2013-04-19 8:19 PM
in reply to: #4706887

User image

Saint Marys, Georgia
I didn't rack my bike overnight because of concern of the storm, what's the best way to check my bike in the morning?
2013-04-21 7:48 PM
in reply to: #4707796

User image

Saint Marys, Georgia

Here's an interesting review of the sprint from another guy on facebook:

My son and I both race in Open and we were initially very excited about participating in this sprint in beautiful Charleston, South Carolina. TRY CHARLESTON is the WORST race experience I have ever had. EVER. There was such confusion in every aspect of the race! Where to begin?!? Those triathletes unable or unwilling (due to the severity of the thunderstorm that rolled through) to rack their bikes the night before were left to navigate between T1 and T2 via a shuttle. In the dark and in the rain. The Pre race packet suggested shuttling the bikes as an option but the bus drivers seemed unclear on many details and were directing participants to take the bikes over themselves. As for the swim I will say I was not crazy about the Open Sprint starting into a massive amount of "loopers" from the Half. In my opinion that is just nuts. I was trying to swim over all kinds of people till the first buoy. Now comes the bike... there were clean roads but nothing to protect us on Highway 17. When we approached the approximate location for the bike turn around for the sprint, NOT A SINGLE SIGN, CONE, or PERSON was to be found directing us to turn around. The first fast group of Open went on looking for some indication of the turn point and finally turned 7 miles out too far! My group of Open Men and Women did the same but turned around 5 miles too far out. So the majority of the Open starters went 23-27 miles instead of the correct 13 miles! Not only were officials and police officers unclear of the course, some officers actually sent Sprint participants on with the Half Revers. I finally made it out and back for the run but witnessed many other athletes struggling with the poorly marked course. I watched a number of runners without shoes apparently confused about the separate transition areas and where their gear needed to be or how to get it there. Now comes the best part... after the race when I went to the timing tent to explain the situation to an official, I was told they were aware but offered no apologies or concern. When I voiced concern that the situation would totally skew the final results, their suggestion was that I should just write an email when I get home. One final note of concern...After the race I heard a number of Half Revers discussing frustrations with an intersection on the course that had no police assisting with traffic. I think this race really dodged a major incident if this was the case. How can you expect athletes to safely navigate a race course without law enforcement directing traffic at major intersections? After the cost of 2 race entries, a 4 hour drive to and from the race, the cost of a hotel, and a race full of frustration, I can say I "TRY"-ed Charleston...NOT impressed and not interested in participating again. We appreciate all that set up events does...we love triathlon and enjoy competing. This was an unfortunate event that will hopefully be corrected and not repeated in the future.

2013-04-22 6:52 AM
in reply to: #4709225

User image

Veteran

unfortunately, this review is the same that I heard from a number of friends that did the sprint.  I was "fortunate" enough to do the half so the bike course markings were not an issue but I will say that when I came up on what should have been the sprint turn around there was still no one directing traffic and not a single sign.  I saw at least 6 bikes coming back down that road well after what should have been their turn.

The traffic incident we had on the bike of the half course had more to do with the flow of traffic than anything.  Police officers were holding traffic at a couple of intersections to let the bikers through but the traffic was backing up on a two lane road and we as the bikers had to try to ride beside them on the narrow road with no shoulder in order to make it to the intersection that was being blocked. 

I will also throw in one more item that was not mentioned in the facebook rant.  I took a spill on the bike at an intersection through no fault of anyone but myself.  I tried to go into a turn a little too fast and the back tire slid right out from under me.  A very nice lady that was directing traffic at the intersection helped me back up and held my bike while I got my chain back on.  I was skinned and bleeding but nothing broken or really hurt so I continued.  When the race was over I headed to the medical tent to get a few bandages on the scrapes.  There were 2 or 3 other people in the tent waiting on some minor help.  The problem is there was 1 person trying to attend to everyone and she kept looking around for help.  As I sat there she asked if I had also hit the pothole on the run course.  (I did see the hole but was fortunate enough to miss it as a person in front of me hit it and showed me where it was.)  As I sat there 2-3 more people came hobbling in and all had hit the same hole on the run.  Apparently everyone in medical knew the pothole was out there but not a single person made any effort to put out a cone or send a volunteer out there to warn the runners. 

I was looking forward to this race and had heard a number of good things about it.  I will just say that I was not impressed AT ALL with how the race was run.  I have done setup event races before and was satistfied so I will give them the benefit of the doubt on this one and perhaps try it again in the future but this was definitely not a good impression.

Edited by clemson05 2013-04-22 6:55 AM

2013-04-22 8:02 AM

User image

Master

I did the Sprint and have to agree with statements above although I don't view the loop on the swim creating a crowd as that big an issue. Having done mass starts with over 2500+ people the minimal contact in this event is nothing.

The weather was a big problem but should not be used as an excuse.

It is imperative that the athletes KNOW THE COURSE. This is the 2nd race I have done this year where this has been a problem. There should have been a cone and an official at the sprint turn around.  There was a paint mark on the pavement but it was hard to see on the wet road. I also realize that there was no warning sign as you approached the turn so you had to move left and brake in front of the 1/2 people. I had done the 1/2 twice in the past so I knew where the turn around was located and didn't have a problem. Obviously others did. Again KNOW THE COURSE, put it in your GPS.

I don't want to point fingers but I hate to put all of the blame on Set-Up. I think they may have delegated a little too much of the race management to a local committee. I think that if they want to put their "Brand" on races, they will need to have better oversight of the race. I would encourage everyone to give some constructive feedback to the guys at Set-Up.

Overall I had my best race in a long time. I had been training for the half but injured my shoulder snow skiing 6 weeks ago. I wasn't able to swim 100 meters 5 weeks ago. I broke the top tube on my carbon fiber race bike and had to use my vintage Cervelo trainer. In spite of that, I had a good race. I will definitely plan to return.

Another comment I heard was in regards to the tee-shirts. I personally didn't care but I know some of the first timers really expected to take something home to show they did their 1st and possibly only triathlon.

I also heard that they were planning to add a full option next year. That spells disaster to me. They need to get the shorter distance right before they consider expansion  

2013-04-22 10:12 AM
in reply to: #4709574

Charlotte, NC

I don't want to point fingers but I hate to put all of the blame on Set-Up. I think they may have delegated a little too much of the race management to a local committee. I think that if they want to put their "Brand" on races, they will need to have better oversight of the race. I would encourage everyone to give some constructive feedback to the guys at Set-Up.

This sums up the organization of the race. TRY Charleston is an organization who puts on the race. The TRYCharleston.org website does not seem affiliated with the Setup website and having done B2B twice, I know that the RD  Jeremey who does this is the same RD as B2B, so my conclusion is that TRYCharleston.org dropped the ball on the Bike course volunteers and directions. I did Charelston last year and it was very well organized, so I dont know what changed this year.

I hope that TRY Charleston and Setup make good to those people affected by the bike course mix as I know Setup always puts on great races, and when they do mess up, they make sure it is corrected and made right for all involved.

Dont be hasty to judge a company for one screw up though. If Ironman was to be judged for one screwup, then there would be no Ironman.

Echoing "pshriver", contact Set Up and Trycharleston, voice your concerns. 

2013-04-22 6:49 PM

User image

New user

Irmo, SC

I did the sprint as well and did find issues as above.  Setup Events usually does a tremendous job with their races so I will give them the benefit of the doubt.  There are perhaps some explanations: I have a feeling many of the volunteers did not show up due to the weather.  I noticed half of my Master Clydesdale group didnt show as most of our Triathlon club bailed out so I wouldnt be suprised to learn that many of the volunteers bailed as well which would leave Setup with a skeleton crew to staff a sprint AND a half.  In regards to the turn on the sprint bike, the turn off 17 was marked but NOT staffed which I found unusual as Setup usually has several volunteers at every turn.  The turn around point shortly after that DID have a police car with flashing lights, orange cones, and a volunteer with a bullhorn instructing Sprint racers to turn around and half racers to continue on so I had no trouble but when I reviewed the results after the race I was astonished to see that many of the Open division competitors had slower bike times than I did and now I know why.  And here I thought I just raced exeptionally well!

The run course was soaking wet but couldnt be avoided so no complaints there.

The logistics of the two transition zones did make for a difficult setup especially in the dark during a cold rain.  Several of us had a hard time finding the middle school for T2 but once there I was fine.  My issue came during the registration Saturday am (I worked friday night and didnt get to Charleston until 11pm so couldnt check in the night before.  Saturday when I checked in, I asked about the transition bag they website mentioned we would be issued so they could move our gear to T2 after the swim.  I was told they didnt have the bags at that time but they would be brought by before the start.  No bag at the start.  I ended up piling my wetsuit and other gear neatly in a pile, mounted my bike and rode on.  I had to wait until 2 hours after the race, in somewhat of a panic hoping it was in the lost and found bin coming over by truck after the awards ceremony.  Thankfully it did but by that time I was freezing and worried I had just lost my recently purchased wetsuit.  I think the 2 transitions was necessary to prevent bikers from having to cross 17 as well as to allow for a nice run course so I really have no issue with the course in and of itself.  It was a fast swim, bike and run and I enjoyed the race.  If the logistics get ironed out I think it will be a fine event overall as I have come to expect from Setup.

2013-04-23 8:59 AM
in reply to: #4710670

User image

Veteran
jrobatc - 2013-04-22 6:49 PM

In regards to the turn on the sprint bike, the turn off 17 was marked but NOT staffed which I found unusual as Setup usually has several volunteers at every turn.  The turn around point shortly after that DID have a police car with flashing lights, orange cones, and a volunteer with a bullhorn instructing Sprint racers to turn around and half racers to continue on so I had no trouble but when I reviewed the results after the race I was astonished to see that many of the Open division competitors had slower bike times than I did and now I know why

I am not sure what wave you were in or what you swim split was like but I do know that when the first few cyclists hit the turn around point for the sprint there was no guy with a bullhorn at that time.  I was an earlier wave because I did the half and he was not there when I went past that area.  A friend of mine (who missed the turn and did over 20 miles on the bike) asked about it later and was told that the volunteer who was at the turn around was late for whatever reason.  I did not think about lack of volunteers because of the weather and that may well be the explanation. 

I do plan to try another setup events race since my previous experiences were much better but I also would not blame an athlete for deciding not to race future SE events because of this fiasco.

2013-04-24 2:28 AM

User image

New user

Irmo, SC

Clemson05

"I do plan to try another setup events race since my previous experiences were much better but I also would not blame an athlete for deciding not to race future SE events because of this fiasco"

I raced with the Master Clydesdales, third wave of the Sprint.  I regularly race Setup Events races in the Columbia area and can say, without hesitation, they are all well organized, staffed, and designed.  The Lake Murray Triathlon is next Sunday May 5th and is one of the best courses in SC second only to the Dam Tri in September.  I highly recommend both and hope your experience will be much better.  I agree Charleston was a fiasco but I do not know how much was due to poor planning versus poor circumstances.  I did like all 3 courses and found them to be rather fast despite the weather.

2013-04-24 10:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

Not to take away from anyone's experience with the race because I was not there nor have i done that specific race....but make sure you are not blaming Set Up Events for something they had no control over. 

Please understand that Set Up can be hired by any organization to handle time and transition areas for a race but that be it.  I know from experience.  I am part of a committe that puts on a kids triathlon in the Upstate, "shameless plug...Sugar Creek Youth/Kinder Triathlon".  We hire Set Up events to handle the timing chips and transistion area, the rest of the race is on us the committe.  We the race committe is responsible for staffing the swim, bike, and run course as well as the transistion area.  Set Up has no responsiblity to that.  We are responsible for marking the course, making sure the athletes know where to go and making sure volunteers are out there helping out.

It sounds like the TRYCharleston.org is the "race committee" and Set Up was the timing/transition committee.  I am not affiliated with either TRYCharleston or Set Up Events so I cannot tell you the exact situation but before you start blaming someone, make sure you understand the whole situation...Just because Set Up Events is there does not mean they are putting the race on or that Jeremy is the Race Director...

2013-04-24 1:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Lake Spivey, GA
I did the 70.3 on Saturday.  I liked the swim course and the bike course.  The run course would have probably been fine if it were dry however, I don't see how they could fit many more participants on such a narrow path.  Having 2 transition areas magnified any issues 10 folds, IMO.  The weather was obviously a factor as I'm sure volunteers either didn't show up, were late or left early, or where less attentive than they might have been if the weather was nice (like it was on Sunday).  It's just human nature to want to get out of the rain.      
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TryCharleston 2013 Rss Feed  

of 2