Sandy Spring Friends School
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 20m 24s
Overall Rank = 1/35
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This is a very low-key cross-country race, run by the school that my daughter Zoe is about to start attending. We decided to take part as a way of getting to meet some kids and parents from the school. It didn't occur to me that the race would be so very low key that I'd get the first OA win of my life.
Event warmup:

Simply running around a little to try to loosen up my achilles tendons, which are still recovering. I've been back to more regular running in the past couple of weeks, building slowly. Due to big storms overnight plus a huge 5k downtown that draws thousands, sign-ups for the race were very low, only around 35 people.
Run
  • 20m 24s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Some teenagers set off fairly quickly, and they were wearing cross country team shirts, so I figured that they knew what they were doing, and let them get away. But within a few hundred yards they had slowed down, and I found myself in the lead. This was rather a surprise. As we took our first loop through the forest, I alarmed a deer who was enjoying a peaceful snack. After a half mile or so there was an open section where I could see that I was pulling away from the second person, but after that we were twisting and turning on forest paths, so I really had no idea whether I had a clear lead.

The first mile went by in 6:05, which was faster than expected given the soft, wet ground and the slippery sections. The next mile took 7:39, which is a pretty good indication of how the course was. The forest path turned every few yards, went up and down, included logs to jump and narrow bridges. Some sections were rather muddy and slippery from the storm, and in one place I found myself skating into a tree, in an effort to avoid a muddy face plant. Note to self: consider shoes with some grip. The last mile was mostly looping around fields with soft grass, so I was able to pick up the pace some more (6:19). It wasn't until the last half mile that I was able to see that the next runners were a couple of minutes behind me. So no need to push too hard to the finish, as there's some big bike training in store for the rest of the weekend. I sped up a little for the finishing lap around the baseball field.

20:24 was the slowest 5k that I've run in a long while, but the terrain made it pointless to compare to anything else that I've done. It made it all the more impressive to me that somebody won the same race in 16:xx last year.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. This was just supposed to be a hard training run, and it served its purpose.
Post race
Warm down:

I jogged around a little and waited for the 2nd and 3rd runners to finish. Then ran off to accompany Zoe for a run-walk around the last mile of the course. The terrain had taken its toll on her, so she was feeling a little despondent. As soon as I got back to the finish it was time for the awards. The second place finisher was a 5th grader who had paced himself well and worked his way through the field. So between my 44 years and his 11, we had the average age of a decent runner.

Event comments:

This is a very low-key event. It's a fun run through the woods, not something to do in search of a decent time.

Last updated: 2012-06-02 12:00 AM
Running
00:20:24 | 03.11 miles | 06m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 1/35
Performance:
Mile 1: 6:05 Mile 2: 7:39 Mile 3: 6:19
Course: Undulating loops around fields and woods, with some "technical" sections and mud.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?