Without Limits Productions
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 8h 00m
Overall Rank = 32/196
Age Group = Clydesdales
Age Group Rank = 1/8
Pre-race routine:

Picked up packet the day before, woke up at 5:30am and had some cereal, loaded water bottles and left for Oak Island. Really nice that it is only 15 minutes from the house. Arrived and parked within 25 yards of transition. Took my time and made several trips to body marking, chip pickup, and bike setup.
Event warmup:

Got in the ocean for about a 5 minute warmup. Had been on the fence about the wetsuit and was really happy that I chose not to wear it. Don't know how much time I gave up, if any, by not wearing it?
Swim
  • 12m 11s
  • 586 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

Really not a bad swim for me, times are slow but that is just me and swimming. I have put in the time this year swimming and starting to see a small improvement. I will need to get more proficient before B2B.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe go a little harder during the first few hundred yards. I seemed to be content to just settle in today.
Transition 1
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

Was able to get it and find my bike pretty easy. With no wetsuit to take off I was in and out pretty quick. Rolled up to the mount line and passed two individuals that we mounting ride on the line. 7th overall in transition.

Maybe some time to gain to do a running mount, just don't know if I will feel comfortable with the behind the seat bottle cages I have.
Bike
  • 53m 26s
  • 18 miles
  • 20.21 mile/hr
Comments:

Probably could have pushed a little harder, not much though

Pushed a little harder on the bike
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

Took a little extra time here, maybe 3 seconds as wife and kids were trying to get my attention. 26th overall

Not much, gonna speak to my wife and kids.
Run
  • 29m 15s
  • 4 miles
  • 07m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Came out of T2 a little hot on the run at 6 min 50 sec miles. Slowed it down to about 7 min and 15 seconds for first mile and then got into the groove at about 7 min and 50 seconds for the remainder. Course was actually bout 2 tenths shorter than advertised according to my garmin. Pretty much what I was willing to do today, could have pushed harder but training this week would have suffered and just was not willing to do it.

Not much maybe not put so much powder in my shoes. As soon as I started the run I felt what I thought was a glob of powder that had gotten wet and wedged under my second toe on my right foot. Became very uncomfortable and thought about stopping and removing it but it became a little better around mile 2 by wiggling my toes. After the run I immediately sat down to remove my shoe and found nothing, still not sure what that was all about.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, gathered items, chatted with some friends and family. Stuck around for awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swimming, everything else was fairly good. Did not come in first in any of the three disciplines but transitions keep pulling me through. I chose not to wear the wetsuit and probably left 90 seconds on the swim, but would have lost another 15 in transition.

Event comments:

I was very skeptical about this race and whether or not it was going to happen. Having a production company out of Colorado putting on a smaller race in SE NC was I thought going to be challenge. I must give kudos to Without Limits Productions as they made it happen today. Great job!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-03-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:11 | 586 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/8
Overall: 107/196
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: Rectangle out to 2nd buoy, right turn to next buoy, and then right turn back in.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:58
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:53:26 | 18 miles | 20.21 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/8
Overall: 28/196
154 bpm average
Wind: Some
Course: Nice course down the island for a couple of miles then turn to go over the new bridge. Headwind for about 4 miles to Rt. 211 and then right onto 211 to Long Beach Road. Back to island across the old bridge and then to Middleton Park.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:29:15 | 04 miles | 07m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/8
Overall: 35/196
175 bpm average, 185 bpm max
Course: Out and back. Neat turn around idea on the Ocean Crest pier.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes