General Discussion Race Reports! » Kure Beach Double Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Kure Beach Double Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Kure Beach, North Carolina
United States
Set Up Events
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 07m 14s
Overall Rank = 33/274
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 5/34
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:20, out the hotel door at 5:30 to meet Daryn. We drove down together while I ate bananas and some shot blocks. Then we did the setup and made our way to the beach. This race is pretty weird in that T1 and T2 are several blocks from each other. We opted to just leave our shoes on the road outside of the beach T1. You still have to go through T1 but dont have to carry your shoes that way. Ran into Maria and said hi. Neither of us had ever "met" her before- talked online and saw each other during races when you can't really talk, so it was nice to say hi. Then we walked over to the swim start.
Event warmup:

About a 15 second swim. ACtually had my warmup on the beach the night before when two girls (10 and 11) got caught in a current and were swept out to sea. There were only 3 families on the beach at the time so I ran out and got one fairly quickly and tossed her to her mom. Then I had to swim out to get the second one. Talked to her about staying calm and that she would be fine and she nodded. Then got her in a lifeguard kinda grip and tried to get back to the beach. That took quite a while but we got back. Sweet girls came back later, all sheepish and said thanks. I feel srangely blessed to have been there at that time, with the ability to help. Not to be melodramatic but they would not have made it back...the one girl couldnt swim and was just sorta floating along! Yay triathlon training asnd knowing I could stay out for an hour or more without too much trouble,
Swim
  • 20m 20s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

Out to bouy, turn left, then another left and down to the beach. Then out to T1 and the run start. For the second swim, it was through T1, up the beach on land to the swim start and then the same swim as before. I was 3rd AG on both swims. 42 and 31 (out of 274) overall. I had a good swim on the second, but I think the very slow plod on the beach cost me quite a bit of time. For just the swim I was cruising nicely.

Just ignore the pace on this. There is no way this was a 375m swim twice. Anyway, not too worried about that. The first swim was 9:17; the second was 11:03 and includes the 250 or so yards of running on the beach after you go through the transition area, so it is more of a run/swim than a pure swim.

Swims were fine. Happy to finish on the swim but I was so worried about having issues on the second swim (breathing after running) that I slowed it way down coming to the start on the beach. I should probably just have kept running because I had no trouble starting the swim with breathing, etc. And since 17 seconds stood between me and 3rd AG, and 10s between me and Daryn, a little more pushing might have got me there.
What would you do differently?:

Not hang back on the second run to save myself.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Times for transition are all included in the swim/run/bike times. This race is weird that way. So T1 is included in the swim time.

Pretty methodical T1- slow running in the thick sand though.
Bike
  • 30m 39s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 24.33 mile/hr
Comments:

I didnt have a Garmin so I have to go with the official results but I somehow doubt I averaged 24+mph. It was flat and not windy and I pushed relatively hard but I still think that is a little too high. I think Daryn had the course at 11.8 miles, which is a 23mph average and that is prob more accurate. Still, if the official results say 24mph, who am I to argue! haha Passed dozens of people. Kinda fun starting in later waves and passing tons of the slower people in the waves in front, especially when they are younger than you...soon I will be able to say "hey sonny, when I was your age we didn't even have bicycles and had to run up mountains barefoot".

Could have pushed harder. In sprints I seem to have a hard time getting my legs to really hurt- cardio system struggles and I feel like I dont have much more to give but I still need to get used to going harder.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

No T2. Time included in the bike or run. Not sure which.PRetty methodical though. Had a guy in front of me so had to slow down coming off the bike.

not much. Went fine.
Run
  • 23m 50s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

This time includes some of transition so not bothering with the pace. Whatever it was, I didnt run well on these. 3rd in AG for the bike and the swim, but 7th on the runs. That ain't gonna get it done. Felt hot and tired on these. It was funny to start the run wondering when Daryn would come by. Took him all of 4 mins to make up the time lost on the swim and he cruized by. I heard his fast feet first and then he just flew on by. And he did that again on the home journey too. Took a little longer to catch me this time but he went by and put enough distance between him and me to not give me much chance on the swim. And all this after his mechanical issues on the bike and little training. Daryn, you are a monster! Was 49th and 73rd overall on the two runs. 7th in AG on both.

Push more on the run- I definitely hung back on the second one. Train more running. I found it hard to figure out pacing on these runs. Normally in a sprint I would start out hard/easy but ramp it up to hard/hard. With a bike or swim coming up I had a hard time pushing all out on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Milled about talking to Daryn. And the went back to eat some foot and drinks and met up with the family.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall fitness. Run speed.

Event comments:

Not sure if I like this format but it was fun to try. Loved the ocean swim. Bike course was boring (out and back twice) but on a nice smooth road and closed to traffic, which was awesome. Would rather have this than a White Lake type of course where you have huge trucks barreling by every now and then. Nice little race in the end and really fun to have it at the beach. I must say though, it was hard work playing on the beach all day and then driving back to Cary after sleeping badly and racing, etc. Good to see Daryn again and catch up and meet Maria.

Last updated: 2012-02-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:20 | 820 yards | 02m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/34
Overall: 0/274
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:30:39 | 12.43 miles | 24.33 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/34
Overall: 28/274
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:23:50 | 03 miles | 07m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/34
Overall: 0/274
Performance: Below average
Two runs- one after the swim, one after the bike.
Course:
Keeping cool Below average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-06-03 11:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Subject: Kure Beach Double Sprint Triathlon

2012-06-03 7:40 PM
in reply to: #4241659

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Subject: RE: Kure Beach Double Sprint Triathlon

was super cool getting to go to a race with someone. Made the whole thing more enjoyable.

Like I have said, nice bike out there. I am totally convinced you can go way quicker than you think when it comes to Olympics and HIM.

I look forward to B2B and who knows, maybe something before that. Oh yeah you forgot to bring my biltong.

2012-06-03 8:08 PM
in reply to: #4242165

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
You know, I meant to bring some biltong along! Argggg! Next time! :-)
2012-06-04 7:34 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina

Pretty neat about the two children. Nice job, bro!

Race was almost anticlimatic after that experience! You threw down on the bike, let me tell you! That is some speed!

Don't listen to qrkid...you can't go that fast during B2B.

Edited by d00d 2012-06-04 7:38 PM
2012-06-06 9:34 AM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina

Well done out there saving those two girls!  I can attest that the water was VERY rough Friday.  Pete even refused to swim with me Friday evening for fear of getting sucked out to sea.  I guess his fears were founded!

I was wearing my Garmin on that first swim and measured it at 545 yards from shore to shore, but that depends on how straight I swam in line with the buoys.  But I do believe the swim went long this year.  I did not use the multisport function properly, so I did not capture the rest of the race.

Awesome race!  And it was good to finally meet you person rather just in passing on run courses.  But you know I'll be looking for you on the run course at B2B!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kure Beach Double Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed