General Discussion Race Reports! » Surf & Turf Aquathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Surf & Turf Aquathon - Biathlon (swim/run)

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Denver, CO
D3 Multisport
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 32m 55s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Showed up a little bit late because of traffic so I didn't really have a pre-race routine for this one. It was basically get there, register, throw my stuff down, and get my wetsuit on.
Event warmup:

Talked with Mark, Adam, Stacie, Matt, Julia, and Dan and got in the water to wait for the countdown.
Swim
  • 32m 55s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 11s / 100 meters
Comments:

First, I'm slow so let's just get that out of the way. And I'm also not the best with open water mass starts. Nonetheless, I didn't doo too badly with the start here. In the Galena tri I tried to go hard at first and hang with the faster people, which only proved to be a bad idea. Here, I just went out nice and easy, possibly too easy, so I could get into a rhythm early. Although the rhythm didn't happen right away, I didn't feel terrible either. I probably only sighted 2 or 3 times on the way to the first buoy and just followed feet and bounced around between packs of people. Figured I'd let them look into the sun. After that buoy I realized that for any longer distance swim, I'm going to eventually quit breathing bilaterally and commit to one side, so I just started breathing to one side. The only problem with that is if I don't sight better, I wander off course and at one point I was probably about 20-25 yards too far to the inside. This happened a couple other times as well. Made my adjustment, got back on course, and after going around the second buoy, I must have cut someone off or something, because all I heard was "learn how to f@!#ing navigate better." Whatever. If you can't take a couple people running into you in an open water swim, you're in the wrong sport. At any rate, I was finally in a rhythm and got beyond wishing I had only signed up for the 750m swim. The second lap was better. I was already in a decent rhythm and the buoys seemed to come faster. One of the things I realized was that I don't swim the same in open water. I think that after I sight, I don't put my head all the way back in the water so I'm looking up a little bit, which slows me down. I corrected that a little bit, but not consistently so it's something to work on. Near the end, after rounding the last buoy, I tried going hard to the shore, but that didn't last. I didn't have a whole lot in me at that point.
What would you do differently?:

Need to sight better and correct my position in the water.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Got out of the water and talked to Ocky who was standing there waiting for Shannon. Then I realized I should tell the timers I'm not doing the run.
Run
  • 00m
  • 0 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

No run for me. Knee issues instead.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out and had a couple beers while freezing my butt off.

Last updated: 2006-03-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:55 | 1500 meters | 02m 11s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: ProMotion
Course: 2 laps around buoys.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time:  00:00
Overall:
Removing cap, goggles and wetsuit:
Getting into shoes:
Running
00:00:00 | 00 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-06-01 10:10 AM

User image

Expert
Denver
Subject: Surf & Turf Aquathon

2006-06-01 10:13 AM
in reply to: #440203

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Subject: RE: Surf & Turf Aquathon
Nice swim!  I like the RR and your points to think about!  Have a great weekend!
2006-06-01 11:10 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Practice makes perfect!

PM me your e-mail and I'll forward the Fort Collins open water swims to you.   They are pretty nice...big lake, few people, good chance to practice sighting.  1.2 mile loop and you can go around as many times as you like!

2006-06-01 4:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
What a toolbelt to yell at you about navigation. Whatever... Dude you are not slow. If you're slow, then I guess I am tortoise-like in my efforts. Get that knee squared away for the 5430 aight G (more MTV Raps). Good swim.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Surf & Turf Aquathon Rss Feed