Henderson, NV
United States
Amica Race Series
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This was a C race (not a main one) for the year, so I wanted to test something out. Worked out every day of the week (I was supposed to have Friday off but missed my Wednesday run so I did it Friday) and worked out 2 hours the day before, so no taper nor rest. I had my best race so far ha.

I ate 2 apples around 1a, oatmeal around 5:30a, Luna bar right before swim at 6:20ish am, one gel as I started the bike, one gel as I started the run. Ate much less on the hours leading up to the event this time around, I think it helped! I think I got about six hours of sleep in 2-hour intervals ha (the after-effects of working graveyard).
Event warmup:

None, as always.
Swim
  • 24m 52s
  • 875 yards
  • 02m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

I took waaaay to long in the transition area. As I'm finishing putting on the wetsuit someone tells me Debbie hurry up they're gonna start now and I'm like oh no I got like five minutes the men go first! and they said the men already went the women are gonna start now!! So I throw on the wetsuit, zip it up without tucking it in the back, throw on the cap and goggles, and jump into the lake and swim my little heart out to where everyone is wading what, 100-200m away? As I get there I hear, "30 seconds to go!" Whew, talk about cutting it close. Got myself towards the middle of the wade.

My swim wasn't significant faster than my previous best, but it just gelled. NO GOGGLE ISSUES. No leaking, no fogging. I had the perfect swim. I noticed that ALL my form went out the window when I got to the lake and so this time around I worked on having good form. I had three voices going on inside my head. There was my coach's voice going "Kick Debbie Kick!!" (or everything, I forget to kick the most as I pay attention to everything else, so every few minutes I picture her telling me to kick and I make sure I am), rotate, extend, hand closed. There's Jackie's voice (coach that taught me "how to swim" properly) telling me to zip up my sides each time I stroke (this makes sure your elbows go high above the water as you stroke), and the voice of the Beginner Triathlete (dot com) forum telling me to hum under water (I used to hold my breath under water and exhale/inhale every third stroke... this was only the third time swimming while exhaling under water, and the tip to hum while under water to help your body exhale underwater totally works!! So I sound like a train or something as I swim along going hhhhmmmm, gasp, hhhhhmmmm, gasp, hhhhhhmmmm, gasp lol). Trying to cycle through everything.

This was the best I've ever felt swimming, even if my time wasn't significantly faster. Sighted MUCH less (having perfect goggles helped A TON). Kept my head under water slightly pulled out like a turtle to help my balance. Actually swam in the lake like I swim in the pool for the first time.

When I first started triathlons if someone bumped into me I swam away. Now I stand my ground and get right in the thick of it, even pass people (even men!). Did get whacked once in the head, and this guy got in front of me so I couldn't pass him so I passed him on the other side. Getting out was hard because you had to pull yourself out of the water into the ramp. Then shoes on because T1 was rocks and I didn't know and hadn't brought sandals so I used my "walking shoes" (my old running shoes, now retired).
What would you do differently?:

Pay more attention to the starting time and get out of transition faster!!
Transition 1
  • 05m 23s
Comments:

For the bike, I couldn't find my sunglasses (they had been knocked off into the next person's transition area). Still didn't take long. Used my sunglasses for the bike and my glasses for the run (from now on this won't be an issue as I'll have my new glasses (double the prescription sigh) within a couple of days and I have clip on shades now). Forgot to take the anti-dizziness pills but I was just so happy to bike and run the dizziness didn't bother me (and the glasses themselves help a lot, I'm thinking 34 finally caught up to me and I can't decide not to wear my glasses any longer).

This is the first time I was actually able to zip off the wetsuit without a problem, slid right off my legs. Whee.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 06m 29s
  • 16.71 miles
  • 15.08 mile/hr
Comments:

This is the second time I don't drink enough on the bike. I drank less than ONE QUARTER of ONE BOTTLE of Fizz with water (electrolytes). Barely nothing. I did drink a lot the days leading up to it and 32 oz of Powerade Zero right before the race so I had hydrated enough beforehand and this was short enough that it didn't impact my performance (I think). I can make myself drink for an Olympic distance triathlon but not for a Sprint distance one sigh Had one gel as I started biking. Passed a few people, more than passed me.

At one there was this steep hill (32 MPH max speed) and I realized if I wanted a good time I had to throw myself at it. You have to give up control and either do the hill or not. There's no in-between. You want the speed, you have to let go to the hill. So I did while yelling out "SHT!!!!!!!!" ha.

81 cadence average. I like 90, but I'll take 81. I go by feel for cadence and will drop a gear to keep up the cadence, i.e. drop speed to keep legs moving. Felt really strong the whole time. Nothing really hurt. Lots of hills. My Garmin went bonkers when it came to elevation so I'll get it and record it within the next few days.

15.1 average on the same course pretty much that I averaged 13.65 during Irongirl a month ago. I think that's huge progress!!

Drink, drink, drink, drink!
Transition 2
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

Transition was down a rocky hill "carpeted" but still had to run down quite a bit with the bike. Bike racked, helmet off, cap on, switch shoes, and I was off as I was flipping the number belt. At the dismount the sign said "Dismount here" then below "That means get off your steed" I thought that was hilarious.

Nothing!
Run
  • 29m 38s
  • 3.12 miles
  • 09m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

This was just 3:17 slower than my PR standalone 5K. I ran 9:30 minute miles average, me. For me that's awesome. I've been having dizziness issues and I forgot to take the motion sickness pills but did wear my glasses. The cap blocked the sun away. Getting my new prescription any day now with the flip shades so I ran happy from now on :)

I felt so strong during this run. Some hills. Sixth triathlon fourth in a row that I don't walk at all. Felt so good during this run. Had a gel as I started the run and water at each station. For Sprints at least, I will skip the Gatorade/Heed and just have water and my gel. The gel provides enough electrolytes for the distance.

Nothing!
Post race
Warm down:

Chatting to everyone. Got a stretch. Still not a fan of massages but stretching is AWESOME. I love stretching. Five minutes, ready to train again.

Today was the third year anniversary of my dad's death, and his dying is what spurred me to lose 104 lbs and through a series of events led me to today, so I thought about him during the race. Today was for him.

Sprint Sub-2:00:00!! The total time was over two hours because the bike was 16.71 miles instead of the usual 14 miles for a Sprint, but taking the official swim and transitions time and multiplying my bike rate times 14 and my run rate times 3.10, gives me 1:57:38!! On the third anniversary of dad's death! Thought about him while I was doing it. My four sprint triathlons so far normalized over 14 mi bike and 3.10 run to be able to compare: 3:21:45, 2:43:47, 2:06:14, 1:57:38. 8 minutes and 36 seconds improvement in one month!! I WANT MORE!!!! =)

Getting stronger and better each day, and I am totally hooked on training.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Me :)

Event comments:

First time doing Amica. I LOVED this race and course, and will be doing it again.

Last updated: 2012-05-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:52 | 875 yards | 02m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: X-Terra Vortex 4
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:23
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:06:29 | 16.71 miles | 15.08 mile/hr
Wind:
Course: Out, back, out a little bit the other way, back. Hilly.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 81
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:02
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:38 | 03.12 miles | 09m 30s  min/mile
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-06-03 4:43 PM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: Amica 19.7 Lake Las Vegas

2012-06-03 7:20 PM
in reply to: #4241943

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Subject: RE: Amica 19.7 Lake Las Vegas
That's solid progress. Keep up the good work! Sounds like you really had fun out there.
2012-06-04 4:36 PM
in reply to: #4241943

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: RE: Amica 19.7 Lake Las Vegas
Thanks!  It was so much fun!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Amica 19.7 Lake Las Vegas Rss Feed