Buffalo Triathlon
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 36m 39s
Overall Rank = 40/953
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 10/89
Pre-race routine:

Well...Fishing in Canada with limited (clean) drinking water, but plenty of beer was probably not part of the best plan for a successful taper. But at least my legs were well rested. Got home last night at 9:15, but stayed up too late. Woke up at 5:15 and felt surprisingly well rested. Breakfast with Special K and coffee, then met up with my neighbor John to load the bikes and hit the road.
Event warmup:

John and I ran an easy 1.5 miles after setting up transition. Had a pack of Gu Chomps prior to the pre-race meeting. Definite struggle to get on the wet suit (this was my first OWS of the year), but had help from John. Swam an easy 200 yards, then found my wife and kids just prior to our wave start (15 out of 25). I was certainly excited to see the girls (and vice-versa), as they were sleeping last night when I got home and this morning when I left. HR check pre-race just standing in my suit: 115bpm. Definitely had the adrenaline going...
Swim
  • 06m 19s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

Great swim overall. After doing well in the swim last year, I knew to take it out hard to get some clean water. I lined up in the middle of the front row, sprinted to mid thigh depth, then dove and swam like crazy. There were 3-4 swimmers in a lead pack. I had one guy on my feet that I dropped after about 50 yards, and 2 others 5 feet to the outside. With a strong contingent of first timers and two minutes between waves, we caught the group in front of us half way to the first buoy, and had to do a lot of picking through crowds throughout. I sighted extremely well for the first time ever, and picked a very tight, inside line. There were surprisingly few people to the inside, and I basically had clean water the rest of the way. I rounded the last buoy too sharp and didn't bother to sight the finish, leaving me too far to the inside. I corrected and quickly got back on course. Heading into the last stretch, I could see one other white cap (my wave) with me still, but felt no extra effort was necessary at that point. I came out of the water just ahead of him, and we congratulated each other on a good swim.
What would you do differently?:

Absolutely nothing, short of maybe swimming more yardage.
Transition 1
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

Overall no complaints. I hustled up the hill, but took my time to get the suit off and helmet/race belt/sunglasses on. I could have run a little faster with the bike (as I was being passed on foot).

Run faster, keep up the hard pace
Bike
  • 34m 54s
  • 12.8 miles
  • 22.01 mile/hr
Comments:

For me, I absolutely crushed this!! I don't think I've ever averaged over 21 on a training ride, and pegged this one at 22 mph. I did a good job getting in and out of my shoes on the bike, and had a solid running dismount (still working on the flying mount:) I rode almost the entire race on the yellow line (at the far left) due to the traffic and people strung all across the road (certainly understandable at a good "beginner" race). I did a great job of pushing the downhills and carrying the momentum into the next uphill. Overall, just a great ride!

Perhaps push a little more just yet. Even though the HR was high (my supposed LT is around 168-170), my legs were not burning, and it was rare that my breathing got very heavy.
Transition 2
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

Everything went great except that my shoes got a little scattered when I went out of T1. Took my time (again, probably too much time), and made my way.

No problems, just push harder
Run
  • 22m 8s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

This was fairly typical for me. I've never been much of a runner, but it has been getting better. This was my best pace ever over this distance. I took it out fairly easy. I had no semblence of cramping whatsoever, so picked up the pace earlier than in the past. My friend John was about a minute behind me at the turn-around, so I wasn't sure I could hold him off. With this in mind, I definitely ran a negative split. I was a litte humbled when I was passed by a 14 year old, though it turns out he was the fastest swimmer (out of 953 participants), and 24th overall! i probably kept up with him over the last 2/3rd mile, but couldn't reel him in at all. I gassed it into the finish with all I had (HR 185!).

Again, perhaps take it out a little harder, but otherwise I have no complaints!!
Post race
Warm down:

Hit my watch and waited for John. He finished :35 behind me. We stretched and enjoyed the post-race food and drink, and checked our times

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Only knowing that my fitness was good enough to push a little harder on the bike and run, despite what my HR monitor was telling me. I'll see how the half-iron distances go, but I may decide to stick just with sprints, as this was fast, fun, and the suffering was relatively limited.

Event comments:

This is an excellent race for people of all abilities. The organization is top-notch, planning is clear, website up to date, and volunteer help is only matched perhaps by the MPLS Lifetime tri. I will definitely do this race year after year.

Last updated: 2012-01-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:19 | 440 yards | 01m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/89
Overall: 39/953
Performance: Good
High HR, probably 160s most of the race.
Suit:
Course: Counter-clockwise oblong triangle that boardered on being an out and back. Just follow the white swans. Distance was probably a little short, but closer than last year
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:04
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:34:54 | 12.8 miles | 22.01 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/89
Overall: 36/953
Probably averaged 173-175. Range 169-181. I had never held that high of a HR for that long.
Wind: Some
Course: Single loop of the lake. Small to moderate rollers, but only one bigger uphill. The roads were excellent!! Fresh blacktop on much of the course, only one small stretch that was rough, no potholes.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:16
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:22:08 | 03 miles | 07m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/89
Overall: 112/953
Average probably 177, Range 172-185 at finish
Course: Out and back along the lakeshore, pretty flat
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-06-03 7:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove
Subject: Buffalo Triathlon - Sprint Course

2012-06-03 9:50 PM
in reply to: #4242115

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Subject: RE: Buffalo Triathlon - Sprint Course
congrats on your performance.  Your times are coming along nicely!
2012-06-04 8:24 AM
in reply to: #4242327

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Buffalo Triathlon - Sprint Course
Nice job, you killed that swim!  Super bike and run too.  That is the best run course at a sprint that I have ever experienced, the slight decline for the finish makes it actually feel... fun!
2012-06-04 12:35 PM
in reply to: #4242752

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Buffalo Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed