Score-This
56F / 13C
Precipitation
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 73/350
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 3/21
Pre-race routine:

Packed up Saturday with Y. She was going to the Pittsford tri and I was doing the Keuka tri. Hard to day what to wear. Called for rain and cool, maybe just cool who knows. I work hard at keeping transition to a minimum so it always feel like I'm forgetting stuff.
Up at 4:45, little oatmeal for breakfast and coffee. R-stop done.
Even though Ken was out of the race he drove us down. He is missing racing bad I think. It was great to have him there as well as driving.
Left my house at 5:40. Got there in plenty of time, reg and were setting up transition area and body marked with plenty of time to meet up with R-stocks and others. Threw my bag in a plastic bag and slid it next to fence.
Mike got started out on his Oly. Ken and I were wandering around and there was Mike changing into his tri street clothes. He was looking a little goofy. He had got kicked in the head and pulled himself out. Good idea. Kids anytime you wake up in a triathlon swim its time to call for the jetski to pull you out. Good call Mike. Finally wandered sown to start my sprint.
Event warmup:

Took a little swim to get a little water in wetsuit.
Swim
  • 15m 18s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

I kept trying to inch my way to the front but was second back. Not happy about that. Turn out to work out. We got the horn to go and off we went. I was mixing it up a one guy in front of me first 30 seconds then left him behind. Round first buoy 50 yds well and headed straight with the waves. Nice, downhill. Field spread out and started to calm down to and easy pace. Rounded square end of course then back into chop. Little bit of up hill swimming. Had to negotiate a few guys doing breast stroke, man how much space can you take up. Very easy to see the finished and swam up till i hit bottom with my hand and stood and ran out. balance good and did well up the steps and lawn. Passed 4 guys walking.
What would you do differently?:

Not rip my full sleeve wetsuit last year so i would have it to wear today.
I should learn to kick.
Transition 1
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

Went well. Two mistakes had to re-tighten shoe and pick up helmet I knocked off the bike next to me. First in AG.

Get there earlier to for spot at the other end of the rack.
Bike
  • 43m 34s
  • 13.67 miles
  • 18.83 mile/hr
Comments:

It is now starting to rain a little more steady, now. Got a good start and up to speed well. Its a down hill and really conducive to moving. A few guys trying to get situated I guess were hugging left on the road. Took the right on the first guy then yelled at the second one to get over. Only had to listen to few disc wheels. They had just resurfaced the out road and did the main out/back road was done 2 years ago so the surface was nice.

It was like a big game of hop scotch for 8 miles. I believe I was holding my pace on the flats slowed a little on hills and then speed on the downhills but I pass someone and the may pass be back on any grade. It got annoying. The last 4 or so miles I got passed by someone in my age group so there is at least one ahead. Turned out to be my rack mate. He was still in in T2. My shoes were filling with water off the road and dropping into the turn around I hit like 35 plus MPH those raindrops hurt a little.
I was pushing 80% most the time. Didn't let off much except to drink.
There is a no pedal zone before T2 I was able to get one foot out but not the other one. I was little Johnny one steps one shoe on one shoe off running through T2.

It was a good ride and won't change much.
Transition 2
  • 01m 54s
Comments:

things were going well till I tried to tie my shoes. My fingers were cold from the rain and didn't want to work right or fast. My rack mate was putting socks so said screw it and ran without. Took a quick drink and grabbed the shades and left. Race number under my shirt.
Really blew this T2 30 seconds longer then T1.

12th in AG.

Get Yankz.
Run
  • 26m 29s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Came out with another one of my AG'ers. Thought well that would put me third at best. Legs a little tight so I kept thinking keep the cadence up to make up for the lack of stride length. I did pass him in the first 1/2 of mile. Damn that never happens. Now to keep him behind me. Do I need to stop for water. Seem OK. Wait till the next one at the turn around.
The road is funny seems like you are running downhill both ways. I keep plugging along trying to keep the turnover high. Hit the turn around and pick up a cup of water at the water station. Pinch it and try to drink out of it. Would have worked if I could drink through my nose. I was thinking I'll be the first to drown on the run course. I draw a little thinking Ken was after me. I knew that the guy I passed early wasn't to far behind.
Then get passed by a fresh AG mate. He is moving well. He is moving ahead steadily. I'm pushing all I got and the legs feel finished. At a 1/2 mile out he stops to stretch and I think oh good a pulled hammy. No luck he is over and back going. Push with everything I got and finally see the finish. Little up hill. Did my civic duty making other feel well letting them pass me in the chute. Hear the announcer say "Dudley Hallstead, man there is some real racing going on in that 50-54 AG. Makes me feel good but not certain I placed. Ken and Mike are waiting at the end. Took me about 5 minutes to be able to talk to them. Mike is looking better.

Could have done a few brick to train for the runs.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed water and walked around and suggested going to after race lunch. One of the best eats around.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weight and weather.

Event comments:

we walked up and got a dry shirt from my bag and we were able to get our bikes. So I did. Lunch was not open for another 20 minutes. So we took the bike up to the truck and wandered over to get some lunch.
Poor Ken. Mike and and I rocketed through the line of all kinds of good stuff. I was hitting the salad bar like a rabid rabbit when I turned around and there is Ken trying to negotiate with one arm as the other is in a sling. I told I was sorry. He said it was OK he found a nice lady to help him. I did offer to cut his meat up for him but it was tender enough to use the fork.
We went back to check to see how I did and found out I was third in my AG. Sweet but awards are not for another 60 minutes then sitting through them. You know the 50-54 group is close to last. I told Ken let me see is I can get a ride back as I want my stuff but to make then wait another 90 minutes for third place. I get a ride back with Tom D. Thank you Tom. Ken has to drop Mike at my house so ask them to drop stuff in the garage. The awards went fast and they did the sprint first. I get a local bottle of blush wine and pound of almond butter. Nice.
Ken thanks for driving and coming to support us. What a great guy. Mike looks like you'll need to wear a aquahelmet from now on.

Last updated: 2011-10-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:18 | 820 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/21
Overall: 43/350
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveles
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:27
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:43:34 | 13.67 miles | 18.83 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/21
Overall: 95/350
Wind: Headwind
Course:
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:54
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:26:29 | 03.11 miles | 08m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/21
Overall: 164/350
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-06-03 8:10 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Subject: Keuka Lake Triathlon

2012-06-03 8:36 PM
in reply to: #4242210

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Keuka Lake Triathlon

Sweet AG podium!!  Wine and almond butter, yum!!

Rain in upstate New York? What a novel concept Tongue out  Nice work in the slop of it all.

2012-06-04 6:08 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Congrats on a great race, 3rd in ag is sweet! Pretty good size group too which makes it more of an accomplishment!Yep, missing the racing but the crappy weather made it a bit more tolerable!
2012-06-06 5:15 PM

User image

Sweet!Congratulations on the podium.
2012-06-06 7:45 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member
..........WOO HOO !!!!! CONGRATS!!!!! LOve that hardware..you earned it!!! Now..Go get those Yanks!!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Keuka Lake Triathlon Rss Feed