• 3h 31m 50s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

TL:DR
Mr. Mom (prude)
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
This morning we ran the San Diego Rock n Roll marathon. The goal going into this race was for her to qualify for the Boston Marathon next April. Only 10% of American marathoners get into Boston, and this year they lowered the qualifying standard by 5 minutes across the board, but also they had instituted a rolling registration where the faster you are under your requirement, the sooner you get to register. Going into this race her PR was a 3:50 back in December. For this race she had to do at least a 3:40, but a 3:35 was the goal to make sure she got in. Her training was hit or miss, never doing more than 35 miles a week, and usually closer to 25. Her longest training run was 17 miles a few weeks back. My job was to pace her by pushing if she started to falter and otherwise keep her company.

Woke up this morning to overcast skies and nice cool temps. There were 7000 runners doing the full, and another 20k or so doing the half. You are placed in corrals based on your estimated finish time, which put us in the 4th corral. The gun went off at 6:15 and we were on our way. Our goal pace was 8:08. First 7 miles goes around Balboa Park and down to the downtown area. This section went by really fast as there are tons of people on the course to look at. We drove the course the evening before, but most of it was pretty new. After downtown you spend the next few miles on the 163 freeway. It has a long uphill, then a really long downhill that was brutal on the quads! It was pretty cool to be running on a completely closed down 6 lane freeway though.

We hit the half marathon point right at 1:45...which meant roughly a 8:00 pace. We were hitting up the aid stations for water and gatorade, and taking gels and sport beans. We felt really good over the next 6 miles as we crossed town towards Mission Bay. There were tons of people out cheering and the road was mostly flat. They had bands playing every mile or so..some great, some just awful. There was a long climb at mile 19 that started being a pain in the ass, but with 10k to go we hit a bike path down along the Bay. This is where things got tough! My quads were screaming for me to stop, the wifes foot and hamstring were killing her....but overall just really really tired legs. Aerobically we were both doing great though. No huffing or puffing at all.

At mile 22 you go out onto Fiesta Island which is this mass of sand and scrub brush in the middle of the bay, where you do a circle of 3.5 miles. This was the toughest section, and I wanted to walk so bad i could taste it, but i knew i had to do my part to get her to the finish line. At one point i was slapping my quads and screaming at them as I ran.

We came off the island with a mile to go, and you run along the bay again towards the finish at Sea Holy shit that mile felt like 5! We started our kick a little early, and i knew I couldnt hold it to the finish, so I told Lisa to just go and smacked her on the ass. I maintained my speed though and with 200 yards to go, I caught her again, and we crossed the finish line together.

Finish time: 3:31:50. . Not only did we meet our goal, we shattered it.

We were fucking DONE though. We hobbled around a bit, had some Jamba Juice and ice pops, and got our bags. Then it was onto a shuttle back to the convention center, then a cab to our car/hotel. We stopped by Woodstocks Pizza and destroyed a large peperoni on the 2 hour drive home
Post race

Last updated: 2012-03-19 12:00 AM
Running
03:31:50 | 26.2 miles | 08m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/624
Overall: 0/7087
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-06-04 12:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Strong Beach, CA
Subject: Rock ‘n’ Roll San Diego Marathon

2012-06-06 10:04 PM
in reply to: #4242435

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale
Subject: RE: Rock ‘n’ Roll San Diego Marathon
Wow....shattered does not even explain your finish.  BQ all the way!  From your times (1:45 half, 3:31 finish), it sounds like you passed me somewhere along Mission Bay or on the Island - well done!  Congrats to you and to your wife for making the Boston cut!
2012-06-07 7:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Strong Beach, CA
Thanks man....those last 6 miles were really really tough!  The sad part is knowing I'd have to shave 20 minutes off that time to qualify myself.  Based on Sunday I just cant imagine that happening any time soon.  :D
2012-06-13 3:38 AM

User image

Chula Vista, CA
Congrats to both of you on a great race! When I grow up I want to be as fast as you...oh wait, I'm a few AG's older than you
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock ‘n’ Roll San Diego Marathon Rss Feed