General Discussion Race Reports! » Surf&Turf Aquathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Surf&Turf Aquathon - Biathlon (swim/run)

View Member's Race Log
Denver, Colorado
D3
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 47m 42s
Overall Rank = 7/25
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 4/11
Pre-race routine:

Sitting at work, I realized that I didn't have any yankz on my shoes, so I left a little early and picked those up on the way. Sat in horrendous traffic for far too long, but still got there plenty early. Set up my transition and talked with everyone, then spent 20 minutes dicking around trying to get the yanks on my shoes and laced up correctly.
Event warmup:

10 minute running warm up run, and then 5 or so minutes in the water.
Swim
  • 24m 9s
  • 1550 meters
  • 01m 33s / 100 meters
Comments:

Pretty decent swim. There were some fast swimmers at this race, so the initial sprint was rugged. Lots of people trying to get out front early. I held on to the main group around the first buoy, and then got dropped. However, before the race I noticed that the woman who taught an open water swim clinic I went to this winter was there. She was wearing a bright yellow cap, and as I came around the second buoy I noticed that we were on about the same pace. So I spent the rest of the race hanging on to her feet, which was a good decision because she was maybe just slightly faster than me, so it might have improved my time a little. Still, parts of the swim were tough, and mentally I was dogging it a little on the second lap. Just tried to focus on keeping my stroke long and pushing through the discomfort.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. I liked swimming with someone, and I will try to latch on again next race.
Transition 1
  • 01m
Comments:

Time is a guess, we didn't have splits. I had one hell of a time getting my wetsuit off my feet, but otherwise it was a decent transition.

Need to work on transitions.
Run
  • 22m 33s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Decent run. I've been running on concrete so much that the soft gravel felt slow and annoying at the start. I also had a hard time getting my breathing and HR down in the beginning of the race, but eventually came around. Felt very comfortable after about 1 mile, and I was flying on the downhill portions of the course. Coming back with the wind in my face sucked, especially because it hit at the turn around which is an uphill portion of the course. Overall, I'm still very happy with the time given the conditions, so a successful run.

Not much, just focus on form and breathing and try to relax into a pace in the first mile. Mostly mental, and getting used to transitions again.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, stretched a little, threw my stuff in the car before the wind and rain made things any worse. Hung out with everyone after the race drinking a couple of beers. Very fun night all around.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Slightly slow transition, wind was rugged. I'm very happy with the progress I've made since last year though, so no real complaints.

Event comments:

Great training series, it's going to be fun doing some more of these this summer.

Last updated: 2006-03-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:09 | 1550 meters | 01m 33s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/11
Overall: 7/25
Performance: Good
Suit: ProMotion
Course: Basically a square. A very small chop on the south end of the course heading east made for some difficult breathing, but I just breathed on one side to avoid getting a mouthful of water.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time:  01:00
Overall: Average
Removing cap, goggles and wetsuit: Average
Getting into shoes: Good
Running
00:22:33 | 03.1 miles | 07m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/11
Overall: 10/25
Performance: Good
Course: Trail run out and back, small hills, tons of wind coming back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-01 11:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: Surf&Turf Aquathon

2006-06-01 11:22 AM
in reply to: #440276

User image

Expert
Denver
Subject: RE: Surf&Turf Aquathon

So basically what you're saying is that you could have swum for UCLA's women's team? That's probably not all that bad - at least from a locker room standpoint!

2006-06-01 11:44 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Great race!  It will probably be fun to watch your times progress during the series!
2006-06-01 12:03 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO

Great race!  Way to hang on her feet - must have been really to nice to find that bright yellow cap.  I never know for sure if I'm staying with the same person! 

I love the S&T race reports where the warm down centers on hanging out and having a beer!  Wish I could have joined you last night! 

2006-06-01 3:06 PM

User image

Master
Colorado

Great race, and nice to finally meet you.  And leave it to Ryan to bring it into the locker room... 

Next time I'm going to try to follow you since drafting off Matt didn't exactly work for me.  If I can get myself back into shape to keep up that is    Stacie and I are going to have to learn to draft.

2006-06-01 4:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
If Ryan was really sharp he would have made fun of when you said, "I made sure my STROKE was really long". Amatuer! Great race man. Really nice looking swim time and the run was fast too.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Surf&Turf Aquathon Rss Feed