MetaSport
30C / 86F
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 40m 22s
Overall Rank = 101/430
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 28/110
Pre-race routine:

Got there the day before after spending the week drinking in KL at a business convention. Not great preparation.
Event warmup:

I had joined a Metasport bintan training camp a couple of months previously which gave me a chance to recon the course. So I had a fair idea what was in store.
Swim
  • 29m
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

The race start was delayed due to a massive rain storm which was so heavy we couldn't see the first buoy from the shore. The course was a anti-clockwise outside loop to the shore, a beach turn around and then a return clockwise inside loop. As I breath on the left I thought the course would suit me and I kept to the right of the field on the way out which let me keep out of the cross and most of the leaders in sight. I wanted to keep things fairly easy and was happy to get out of the water in good shape.

Mass start on a tight frontage but managed to get into the second row on the grid and stayed clear of the pushing. what pushing there was, was pretty tame though. I didn't get the drafting I was aiming for and probably too the course too wide. But the water was pretty clear and had cooled down a bit from the rain. Didn't see any of the dreaded jelly fish.
What would you do differently?:

this was my first OD and I'm still getting the hand of the starts. I would take a more direct line next time and get closer to the traffic.
Transition 1
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

everything went really well - in and out quickly with no hassles. For me the trick is not going so hard on swim that I get to my bike hyper ventilating. Keeping things easy means more focus and faster movement.

nothing
Bike
  • 1h 14m
  • 40 kms
  • 32.43 km/hr
Comments:

Still putting my shoes on in T1. This course has a very steep start literally from the mounting line so you either want to be very comfortable standning on your shoes or put them on in T1. There are some corners which are not worries when dry but had my heart rate up in the wet. Saw two nasty stacks - one in the cobble stoned round about at the resort entrance - the sones aren't smooth and looks like with would have bloody hurt. Another stack towards the end on a dry straight road so not sure what the guy did. A bit of drafting but did see some guys coming into the resort who were blatantly drafting (up very close to each other for 4-5min, looking backwards now and then to spot marshalls) - what's the point fellas? Race in the rules or don't bother.

My garmin was playing up so didn't get accurate pace reading the whole ride. So was limited to lap time and cadence, which was fine. Pushed hard but only up to the point of resistance. Kept breathing under control and cadence fairly high. 1:14 was pretty much exactly the time I was after so very happy with that.

nothing but train more. Heaps of people past me on the bike. too many for me to be comfortable with.
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

happy with T2. would have been slightly faster except the guy before me had racked his bike in my spot so I put my in the next available sport then changed my mind and took my bike out again and shoved the other guy's bike over before putting mine back in.

nothing - sub 1 min T2, very happy.
Run
  • 54m 40s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 28s  min/km
Comments:

Everything was going fine until the 4km mark. the whole race plan was to keep things under control and have a strong run. I'm still learning how much effort I can spend on the bike and still have a fair run and it seems I over spent on the bike. running sub-5min km for the first 4 km and passing people at regular intervals but after the hills on the first lap the engine just died. the rest of the race was a struggle. Not a complete disaster but I couldn't maintain any pace or keep going for long without having to stop and regroup. Maybe just a little over done on the bike or a bit under done on the training.

training more. Need to get my running sorted. Coming from a running back ground I find it frustrating that in these longer races its my weakest leg.
Post race
Warm down:

A srping to the finish wrecked me so warm down consisted of being helped to the medical tent and laying down with a cool towel.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of bike milage and run training.

Event comments:

This is a great race with a great atmosphere. Very freindly staff, spectators and competitors. I feel like this was something of a draw between me and the race. Will be back next year leaner and meaner - there were 60 finishers between me and the guys coming in at 2:30. With a bit more milage under the belt I reckon I can take them.

Last updated: 2012-06-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:00 | 1500 meters | 01m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/110
Overall: 0/430
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:02
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:14:00 | 40 kms | 32.43 km/hr
Wind:
Course: undulating, some hills. wide roads, wet in part but mainly fast and dry.
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 82
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:54:40 | 10 kms | 05m 28s  min/km
Performance: Below average
Course: hilly - almost cross country in terms of the hills and height changes.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes