General Discussion Race Reports! » Surf and Turf Series #1 - Short Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Surf and Turf Series #1 - Short Course - Aquathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Littleton, Colorado
United States
Surf & Turf Aquathon USA
Overcast
Total Time = 47m 46s
Overall Rank = 9/14
Age Group = 35-.39
Age Group Rank = 7/9
Pre-race routine:

Got there early and registered.
Event warmup:

Got in the water to acclimate to the temperature. Wasn't too bad. Actually things are warming up... Walked around and set up my transition. Talked to Mike Ricci, Mark, Matt and Julia. Tried to get the butterflies out of my stomach as this was my first OWS race.
Run
  • 00m
  • 0 kms
  •  min/km
Transition 1
  • 00m
Swim
  • 00m
  • 820 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim really worried me. I got off to a good start but started dragging to the right (breathing side). Sighted well to get back on course. 2x had to flip on my back, but this just made me dizzy. Probably didn't have to, just anxiety. Really found my rythm a couple of times. I need more of this. When in the groove, felt really comfortable, but the sighting threw me off. Goggles fogged up and had to wash them out at bouy 2.
What would you do differently?:

No time on my back. Just keep my head down and keep swimming. I'm strong enough, but just have too much OWS anxiety. Practice, Practice, Practice.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Swim was first not second... Got out of my wetsuit pretty quickly. Felt a little dizzy. Got my shoes on, but didn't feel like bending down to put on socks. Race belts are nice... :)

Take time to put on socks. May slow me down but the extra couple of seconds is really not important.
Run
  • 00m
  • 3.11 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first time running without socks. BAD IDEA. Got blisters on both feet. Not too bad though. I could feel some of the rubbing, but it didn't affect my run. I had a hard time catching my breath after the swim. Took almost the first mile to get going ~12 Min. Second Mile was 9 min and third was ~8 min. Probably the slowest first miles I've had in a race. I did pick up the pace for the second and especially the third mile. It got really windy and started sprinkling near the end.

Should have put on socks!!! I need to run some more in my tri suit and also work on running/biking right after swimming. Swim/Run and Swim/Bike bricks are not to common but I need to practice this so I can find my stride quicker.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, got some gatorade and water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Practice transition between water and running. I need to relax and loosen up between the swim and run. I'm used to cycling after swimming and I found it hard to catch my breath.

Very disappointed in my run time. I've done <25 min in several 5k this year. But the swim really took everything out of me. Open water is tough. I'll just keep practicing and make an amazing turn around at the 5430...

Event comments:

This is a very well organized event. I would definitely recommend it for people to get some good OWS experience and a great way to break up the week. I'm glad the weather cooperated. Weather got nasty at the end but was perfect during the swim and 1/2 the run.

Note to all other CO BTr's Get out here it's fun and done right. More races to come!!!

Last updated: 2006-06-01 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 00 kms |  min/km
Age Group: 0/9
Overall: 0/14
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time:  00:00
Overall:
Putting on cap, goggles and wetsuit:
Getting out of shoes:
Swimming
00:00:00 | 820 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 4/9
Overall: 6/14
Performance: Good
Suit: Javelin Tri Suit
Course: Good loop course. Longer than expected. I thought it was supposed to be 750 but was 820.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time:  00:00
Overall: Good
Removing cap, goggles and wetsuit: Good
Getting into shoes: Good
Running
00:00:00 | 03.11 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 8/9
Overall: 12/14
Performance: Average
Course: Relatively flat gravel trail. Good for the ankles.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-06-01 11:12 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Subject: Surf and Turf Series #1 - Short Course

2006-06-01 11:18 AM
in reply to: #440300

User image

Expert
Denver
Subject: RE: Surf and Turf Series #1 - Short Course
Not to worry - I have some of the same issues in open water. I think we're getting together on Sat. morning at 7:30 to swim at the Gravel Pond, with a possible 1-1.5 hour ride after if you're interested. I believe you have to be a member of COMSA to swim there, but it's worth it.
2006-06-01 12:44 PM
in reply to: #440300

User image

Extreme Veteran
Aurora, CO
Subject: RE: Surf and Turf Series #1 - Short Course
Nice race! On the sock issue, try foot powder in your shoes for when you come out of the water. It really helps. A wise old guy taught me that. (nothin' but love Mark!)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Surf and Turf Series #1 - Short Course Rss Feed