United States
Revolution 3
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 39m 20s
Overall Rank = 761/1063
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 145/167
Pre-race routine:

Could not sleep past 2:25 so had some PB&J, coffee, and spider-man fruit snacks and was at the race site by 4:45 for a great parking space.
Event warmup:

None, unless you count trying to set the record for pre-race pee stops. 2100 yds of swimming is still a lot for me, so i warm up in the first leg.
Swim
  • 47m 41s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

I went out at an easy pace and kept it easy the whole way through, except when trying to escape a guy backstroking that i was tangled up with. This was the best navigation i've ever done, not perfect, but pretty damn good, hitting the turns about spot on. Even though i was going easy, i was kind of surprised at my time here, thought it would be faster. But even if the course was a little long, rankings dont lie and i need to swim more, lots more.
What would you do differently?:

I really need up my swim volume, especially in open water. This swim set me up for hard times ahead.
Transition 1
  • 04m 46s
Comments:

Everything started to go a little haywire after the swim. Got my wetsuit off, but started cramping in my right calf, then my left hamstring into my arse. I planned on wearing socks on the bike and run, but when i started bending over got bad cramps in my stomach. Not GI, muscle cramps in the abs. When it seemed like the day might be shot, i stood by my bike breathing and settling down to reassess for what seemed like 1/2 an hour but must have been about 2 minutes. Managed to get my bike shoes on without the socks and get moving down the road.

Nothing in T1, fix the swim.
Bike
  • 3h 28m 50s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.09 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike started with a lot of pain, a shooting pain from my butt to left knee (felt a lot like my old sciatica but i knew that wasnt it) and the fingers of my right hand were cramping into claws. These things settled down by about 20 minutes in and I was able to focus more on riding.
HR - I couldn't get it down and averaged zone 5 for 56 miles. I knew I was being set up for a terrible 13.1 run, but there was nothing to be done. Taking it easy on the hills would have only made them last longer.
I started feeling better sometime in the mid-30s but it didn't last too long. At around mile 40 I bent down to sip from my aero bottle and my abs cramped up again, pretty much no more aerobars for the rest of the ride. After this, I started getting a little punchy but mostly kept my wits about me. A few times I changed gears in the wrong direction (ouch) and popped my chain once. It only cost a minute or so, but going from a standing stop on a hill is discouraging.
Overall, this is a very nice course. One loop, scenic, and even the "rough" parts of the road aren't too rough. Directions were great. So was traffic control and even bright tape around potholes. some of the course is newly paved and felt great on the downhill and few flat parts, like riding on a cloud compared to what I'm used to.
Nutrition - I think i was spot on with this. Every 30 minutes, took a couple squirts of my homemade GU and just drank water. Refilling the aerobottle worked well until I couldn't bend down to it any more to drink.

Same old, same old. Train much more
Transition 2
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

This wasn't so bad. I was cramping some getting off of the bike, so walked it in and took it easy.
Run
  • 2h 16m 2s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a secret goal to run this in the low 9:xx, but such is life...
I felt okay starting out but had very rubbery legs. Had a Gel to start and another at the first aid station, but that was too much. After 3 miles my stomach starting hurting, so laid off of the calories for maybe six more miles. When the stomach starting hurting my time kept creeping up. For the first half of the run, I couldn't keep my HR down and for the second half I couldn't keep it up. My legs just wouldn't move fast enough to tax the heart.
Walking - I noticed that I kept playing leapfrog with a 59 y/o man with a 2x m-dot on his calf. He was walking the hills and we were at the same pace, so I started walking the steeper hills. I'm really glad I did, or the day could have ended up walking the entire last few miles. The hill at mile 12.5 is just plain mean...
At mile 8 the dislocated shoulder started in on me, so my right arm just dangles making my run look like a brain-eating zombie. I'm glad it held out this long. In January, it would go dead after about 10 minutes of running, even without the swim and bike before. I did clean up my form for the last .25 mile for appearances.
I love that Rev3 let's your family cross with you. Eileen had the big kids at the start of the chute so I grabbed them to run in with me through the mud, after checking that I had no one on my tail.

Not much run specific. I was set up for a hard run before I ever started. Spend more time swimming and biking. And embrace the walk, might need more of that in AZ. It used to be that if I walked, I was pretty much done and couldn't really start running again. I did better on that at Quassy and should probably make it part of the training routine.
Post race
Warm down:

Went around the park with the fam. Got woozy just riding the carousel. I was kind of jealous of the folks getting a massage and E was the first to suggest that I get in that line, but I figure standing in the sun for 2 hours was enough for the kids without waiting for me to get a rubdown. E brought me a sandwich and they seemed to have some nice fare for the athletes, but I couldn't eat anything until around 8:00pm, when I went to town on some takeout Chinese.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I am very happy with my actual execution at the race, give what it was and where I am with training. The fact is that I was undertrained for this event and risked a total meltdown at a few points. I've been able to ramp up my volume a great deal after busy season ended, but I should have had longer time at higher volumes since I'm not a long time athlete.

Event comments:

These guys put on a great race. I can't say enough about the staff, volunteers, cops, spectators. If I ever do this race again, it will be the Oly since, unless I change careers to one that allows for early season training. But I will definately try to schedule more Rev3 events (Maine, Williamsburg?)

Last updated: 2011-09-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:47:41 | 2112 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/167
Overall: 0/1063
Performance: Average
Suit: Neosport full
Course: Clockwise triangle, beach to beach.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:46
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:28:50 | 56 miles | 16.09 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: A beast with many heads...one loop with a short out and back. Garmin had 3,627 climbing.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:01
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:16:02 | 13.1 miles | 10m 23s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: A bit of doosey, plenty of hills and maybe 3 out-and-backs
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-06-04 9:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
Subject: Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev

2012-06-04 10:13 AM
in reply to: #4243013

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Subject: RE: Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev
Great RR Bill!  Nice job finishing.  It sounds like you have a great family!
2012-06-04 1:32 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

Nice report and congratulations on finishing a most difficult course. You will get better and better, no doubt.

Sorry we all didn't meet up after the race. It was a bit disorganized and with no experience, I didn't help as much as I'd have liked. I hope to meet at a future event!

Dale

2012-06-04 1:59 PM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Nice Job Bill!!!  tough tough course!!!
2012-06-04 4:35 PM

User image

Master
Sin City

Nice job on pushing yourself a little!  Love the RR...especially the part where you had Spiderman fruit snacks. Classic! :-)

As for the run/walk - you can always try to incorporate some Galloway methods in some of your long runs so you know what it feels like. 10/2 perhaps? That way you'll know how your body reacts from running to walking to running again.  I find this helps to pace myself a little better.

Good luck on your future races, and again, love your RR!

2012-06-04 7:17 PM

Master
Northern IL
Nice job! Quassy is going to be a tough day no matter what.

2012-06-04 7:54 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Wow - sounds like a tough course!  Awesome job and congratulations!!!!!
2012-06-05 9:25 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Great job Bill!  Sounds like a challenging course!

I enjoyed your race report!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev Rss Feed