Team Magic
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 02m 23s
Overall Rank = 225/334
Age Group = Beg 25-29
Age Group Rank = 12/14
Pre-race routine:

Woke up showered and ate a cliff bar with gatorade. Drove to the race site and saw the gang gotto my transition and almost never got my bike on. Everyone had there bikes racked one way and did not alternate but no worries. Got it set up and then relaxed.
Event warmup:

Got into the pool and did 100 m swim just to loosen up.Oh and I finally got to meet specialK who is actually form Murfreesboro as well..oh he spotted me by the BT tri outfit!!
Swim
  • 03m 55s
  • 219 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well it was my first experience with a pool swim which was not all that bad. They had us split up by swim times and then they moved people up that were faster so I got to move up a little. My only issue was people improperly seeding themselves.One guy as soon as he got in he moved his arms like he was swimming and ran the whole way. I got passed by two people but passed many. At one point before my last 50 there were 5 people slowly going under the rope so I got a little pissed but passed them all befor I got out. All in all for as big as I am my swimming is probably the strongest of the three for me now. I placed 12 out of 14 overall but swim was 6 out of 14 and could have shaved more time if not due to the issues.
What would you do differently?:

Seed myself a bit faster but besides that nothing. Swim was pretty good.
Transition 1
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

Was a desent transition. Chris is going to work with me on my shoes attached to the bike so I can shave some time off but thats about it.

SHoes on bike
Bike
  • 34m 46s
  • 8.5 miles
  • 14.67 mile/hr
Comments:

Well here is were my abilities are still not up to par. First I changed the seatpost back after Memphis so the ride was very comfortable but man there was several huge hills and you add that to a 8 mile course and it does not give you much ground to make up. I did pass three people but hoipe to one day be able to pass several more. I know as I loose weight I will become alot faster truth be told my weight is like a training tool similar to power crancks or anything else that makes you a better cyclist!!!But flet good again overall.

Nothing rode hard and the weightloss well it will come.
Transition 2
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

Well had several issues here. First everytime I put my foot into my shoe the insole would bunch up so finally I had to sit down and as I was running out of T2 my race belt clip snapped loose as I was putting it on.Oh and as I was exiting T2 Chris crossed the finish line so I yelled but dont know if he heard me.

Well probably sit down and get my shoes on right the first time and electrical tape up the straps on my race belt.
Run
  • 20m 5s
  • 2 miles
  • 10m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Well so we understand that the race belt broke so initially I was running with it in my hands but finally tied it on...the real big issue were the huge blisters that came up on my feet about a quarter of a mile into the run. This was my first race without socks so now in the future I will always wear socks!! My feet were killing me but I was able to average right at 10 minute miles and that was with taking a couple breaks and going alot slower than I wanted. Saw rrizzo as I was turning the curve to finish so that was neat. Besides the blisters I ran about 80% of the run at the best pace possibe so much better than Memphis!!!

SOCKS!!!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Got done and got my shoes the hell off. I had two half dollar size blisters on each foot. I found Chris and we waited fro Renee and Melissa to finish. While I was waiting I met someone I knew growing up so we talked a while and heard Renees name called. Chris and I walked a bit down the run course to see Melissa and we cheered her in as well for her first tri. Got some banannas and a diet coke.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Oh my currently but not much longer overweight self and no socks.

Event comments:

If you live around an area where Team Magic puts on a race its a must do. This was a great experience and extremeley beginner friendley.

Last updated: 2006-04-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:03:55 | 219 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/14
Overall: 0/334
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: It was a zig zag under the rope swim in the pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:46
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:34:46 | 08.5 miles | 14.67 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/14
Performance:
Wind:
Course: This was nothing like Memphis. Several pretty good climbs and not much for flat stretches
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:49
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:20:05 | 02 miles | 10m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/14
Performance:
Course: Just a out and back through a neighborhood relativeley easy run course I thought.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-06-01 12:53 PM

User image

Master
Pulaski TN
Subject: GJCC Memorial Day Triathlon

2006-06-01 1:49 PM
in reply to: #440436

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nashville TN
Subject: RE: GJCC Memorial Day Triathlon
yeah! you rocked. it is amazing how much dumb time goes by in those transitions! you looked good on the run...I was so jealous!!
2006-06-01 9:22 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
I don't know how or why people run without socks.  But I will take the extra time to aviod blisters.  Great race man, good luck with the upcoming ones.
2006-06-02 12:34 AM

User image

Memphis, Tn
Nice job. Keep up the good work.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » GJCC Memorial Day Triathlon Rss Feed