Outloud! Productions
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 08m 52s
Overall Rank = 165/561
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 28/57
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:15 and had oatmeal for breakfast. Got the car loaded and left at about 5:20. Arrived at the parking lot at about 6:00. Since this was my third time doing the race, the rest of the family was fine with walking over without me so I road my bike to transition. Set up in transition very easily without having to squeeze in too much. Rack was directly in front of the bike in/out.
Event warmup:

Swam about 100 yards for a warm up. Planned to do more but they started kicking us out of the water at about 6:45.
Swim
  • 14m 32s
  • 600 yards
  • 02m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

This year's time was 3 minutes faster than last year although my ranking does not seem to reflect that. I felt very relaxed and in control for the entire swim and had not trouble sighting. The only strange thing was the course itself. After rounding the turn buoy we were supposed to swim straight back and then take a dog-leg to the left straight into the finish. But as soon as the finish was directly within line of sight, everyone started going straight towards it instead of turning at the buoy.
What would you do differently?:

Not really sure. My time was way better than last year even if my placing did not reflect that. Just continue working on my technique and OWS practice like I have been doing.
Transition 1
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

T1 was very smooth and much better than the median time of 1:46. No issues at all with my flying mount and getting up to speed.

Nothing
Bike
  • 31m 52s
  • 10.9 miles
  • 20.52 mile/hr
Comments:

Once I got out of the park and got my feet in my shoes, I was able to get up to speed pretty quickly. I pushed pretty hard in the outbound leg because I knew we were heading into a headwind and that I would have a tailwind on the way back. I felt very much in control and very steady for the entire ride, and spent much of the time leap frogging with a couple of guys on TT bikes.

Nothing for this particular race. I'll continue to work on the bike. The median time this year was a full minute faster than in 2010 on the same course.
Transition 2
  • 00m 35s
Comments:

Very smooth flying dismount. Started running with my bike but my shoes were dragging so I just picked up the bike and carried back to my rack. Running shoes slipped on easily. The only problem was getting my 405 up and running before the transition exit.

Might skip the Garmin and just go with a regular watch for the run.
Run
  • 20m 45s
  • 2.9 miles
  • 07m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

I'm actually most disappointed with the run because it was 30 seconds slower than last year. I felt fast and light and I was constantly passing people but I never felt like I was really pushing the pace hard. It was like I was running 10K pace on a 2.9 mile course. The pace seemed to lack the frenetic nature of a 5K.

Push harder on the run. The pace for the entire run should have ranged from really hard to extremely hard. I think I've gotten too used to running half marathons, marathons, and longer this year.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for a bit and met back up with the family.

Event comments:

This is a great race and I will continue to do it in the future. I just wish that the run course was a full 5K or at least 3 miles.

Last updated: 2012-06-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:32 | 600 yards | 02m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 52/57
Overall: 0/561
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:07
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:31:52 | 10.9 miles | 20.52 mile/hr
Age Group: 29/57
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back course on 4 lane roads
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:35
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:45 | 02.9 miles | 07m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/57
Performance: Bad
Course: Double loop course around the lake and the neighborhood. The course is much closer to 2.9 miles than the 3 that is claimed.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes