General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cycling passing 'rules' Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-04 3:11 PM

Subject: Cycling passing 'rules'

Short background - I have finished 5 sprint triathlons since I started getting into the tri world last year. I have swam most of my life and usually finish in the top 10 during the swim. But, I just started cycling and running last year, so as you can imagine I get passed a lot during those parts of the event.

IF I do pass someone, I for sure let them know and keep a safe distance, but not everyone does this. I have all too often had someone blast past me (yay for them and yes I am jealous of their awesome skills) with a few inches to spare or with no warning. It just seems like an accident waiting to happen OR maybe I am just a big baby - ha!

So, during the bike portion, is it a rule or just courtesy to say 'on your left' or 'left' before passing and how close should someone who is passing a slower person get during the passing? USAT rules don't say anything specific about this topic...so I guess it's not a rule?

TIA to the experienced ones out there.

2012-06-04 3:18 PM
in reply to: #4243942

New user
DC Metro
Subject: RE: Cycling passing 'rules'

No rules or requirement to say anything.  I am BBOP swimmer, and Front MOP cyclist, so I pass a lot of people on the bike.  I rarely say anything and when I do get passed rarely have warning.  There are rules that you have to stay far to the right of the road, and you should stay in a straight line and anticipate getting passed. 

If I am passing someone that seems to be a little more unstable on the bike I will either try to give them a little more room or occasionally let them know - "on your left".  I'm sure wrecks happen, but I've never seen one because of passing.  

2012-06-04 3:34 PM

User image

New user
Raleigh, NC
X2.  I'm MOP swim and FOP bike, so I end up passing a fair amount.  If the rider I'm passing is alone I'll generally come up right behind them, catch a bit of (legal) draft, and then slingshot out to the left once I'm a couple of bike lengths away.  I try to give a wide berth, though... no elbow rubs or anything.  If there is a group I'll swing even wider earlier and generally yell "left".  In the event I have to pass on the right I always yell "right". 
2012-06-04 3:43 PM

User image

When passing, it is the responsibility of the passer to pass safely.  The person being passed bears some responsibility to hold their line in a reasonable manner.  Communication is optional

2012-06-04 4:28 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Correct that there's no rule of communication when passing, you when you pass, you are responsible for any accident that may occur (with the ONLY exception that the person being passed must hold their line if it safe to do so... if they need to change their line due to an obstacle, then they have right to do so). It's in your best interest to let the person in front of you know.... you're not losing too many seconds in a race with "passing on your left", or "on your left", or just "passing".

Unfortunately, the slower the swimmer you are, the more people you will pass... and often the more inexperiences rider you will pass... (yes, I do know for certain... I'm pretty much the last one out of the water each and every time). Clarity in communication is always helpful to everyone
2012-06-04 4:39 PM
in reply to: #4244161

User image

Sensei
Sin City

This is the perfect opportunity to vent...  Happened to me on Saturday... 

But first my point.  PLEASE pass on the left.  I rarely, if ever, pass on the right.  I would rather yell at someone to move over first, before passing on the right.

Ok, Saturday.  A buddy of mine and I were out for a decent ride, and got passed a couple of times by a strong groups of cyclists hauling butt in a pace line.  I sort of with they said something first, but I realize it's not required and if they are passing on the left, and I'm holding my line, I can live with it....

WELL, a group flys by, and startles me a bit, so I probably shyed away to the right just a touch, when all of a sudden, a rider comes flying by on my right as well.  Then hits his brakes hard enough to fish tail and almost run into the back of my buddy who I was drafting (he was forward right, as the winds were coming from the front right).

The guy sits up and to be honest, I think he needed to check his shorts for any "accidents".  But I was PIZZED.  I was doing everything right (as well as my buddy) and this yahoo almost takes us all out.

I WILL give the guy credit.  After gathering himself, he didn't just take off, he rolled back and appologized saying that when the pace line yelled back there were cyclists on the right, he didn't have enough time to go left and bailed to the right.  I'm just glad I held my line instead of bailing to the right and he had enough control to stop from running up my buddies back side...  I was hoping to catch up at a light and maybe have a word with them (calmly), but they were long gone by the time we got into town/lights.

2012-06-04 5:59 PM

User image

Regular
Chicago

You should see the Chicago Tri. The way they setup the bike course everything is reversed so you stay to the left and pass on the right. You can tell all the people who didn't attend the race talk because they are on their beach cruisers hanging out on the right. And there are a lot of them because the race is huge!

In that case I felt like I was talking non-stop calling out my passes because who knows which direction they would veer when I got up near them. I like the better safe than sorry approach!

2012-06-04 6:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I have a rule question on this too! The rules for the race I'm doing say you have 20 seconds to pass and you can't drop back out of the passing zone. So, what if I start to pass and the other person speeds up? Do I just have to hammer around them in 20 seconds regardless? Thanks!
2012-06-04 6:05 PM
in reply to: #4244378

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Moonrocket - 2012-06-04 4:01 PM I have a rule question on this too! The rules for the race I'm doing say you have 20 seconds to pass and you can't drop back out of the passing zone. So, what if I start to pass and the other person speeds up? Do I just have to hammer around them in 20 seconds regardless? Thanks!

Technically, yes.

If you attempt to pass, you need to pass or it's considered drafting.

Edited by Kido 2012-06-04 6:05 PM
2012-06-04 6:07 PM
in reply to: #4244378

User image

Expert
San Luis Obispo, CA

Moonrocket - 2012-06-04 4:01 PM I have a rule question on this too! The rules for the race I'm doing say you have 20 seconds to pass and you can't drop back out of the passing zone. So, what if I start to pass and the other person speeds up? Do I just have to hammer around them in 20 seconds regardless? Thanks!

Here ya go:

http://www.usatriathlon.org/about-multisport/multisport-zone/multisport-lab/articles/video-rules-of-the-bike-riding-and-passing-082311.aspx

2012-06-04 6:44 PM

User image

Master
Central Indiana
Since I come from cycling background I generally call out "on your left" as a courtesy when I pass.  No rule to this effect, but IMHO civil communication helps prevent accidents.

2012-06-04 9:25 PM
in reply to: #4244482

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania

Oldteen - 2012-06-04 7:44 PM Since I come from cycling background I generally call out "on your left" as a courtesy when I pass.  No rule to this effect, but IMHO civil communication helps prevent accidents.

x2. I suppose if you were hammering it so hard that you had no breath to call out "left!", you could just pass. But it seems like a point of common courtesy to give some sort of warning. Not everyone on the bike course is going to be a practiced rider. If you pass by someone who is not as experienced and not expecting to be passed, they may swerve out of shock. 

2012-06-04 9:58 PM
in reply to: #4244774

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
gearboy - 2012-06-04 10:25 PM

Oldteen - 2012-06-04 7:44 PM Since I come from cycling background I generally call out "on your left" as a courtesy when I pass.  No rule to this effect, but IMHO civil communication helps prevent accidents.

x2. I suppose if you were hammering it so hard that you had no breath to call out "left!", you could just pass. But it seems like a point of common courtesy to give some sort of warning. Not everyone on the bike course is going to be a practiced rider. If you pass by someone who is not as experienced and not expecting to be passed, they may swerve out of shock. 

I sort of agree, but it is definitely situational.  I've done races (sprints) that involve three loops and by the time I'm on my third loop I'm going 10-20 mph faster than the slower riders.  (I'm not bragging; that's just the way it is in a local sprint with three loops.)  I don't think it makes sense to call out anything.  I've got a full lane (12-15 feet) to get around them.  They are (a) unlikely to hear 'on your left' in time to do anything (b) likely as not to do the wrong thing if they do hear and (c) more likely to be spooked by somebody yelling 'on your left' from behind than by somebody flying past at 28mph to their 15mph.  IMHO (a)-(c) = just pass and don't say anything, which is what I usually do.

2012-06-05 8:47 AM

User image

Veteran
asheville, nc
I'm a FOP swimming and MBOP cyclist so like you, I get passed a lot.  I don't expect them to say anything. If you're cycling by the rules they shouldn't have to. Stay to the right unless your passing, look over your shoulder before you pass anyone else.  Being passed within inches by a cyclist really isn't that scary compared to a car doing it.  I don't say anything unless I can tell they're wavering a bit or blocking, then i'll yell something. 
2012-06-05 8:50 AM
in reply to: #4244388

User image

Veteran
asheville, nc
Kido - 2012-06-04 7:05 PM

Technically, yes.

I thought the rule states that if you are being passed you are required to hold your speed and let them pass.  I didn't think you were allowed to speed up.  

2012-06-05 9:27 AM
in reply to: #4244482

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

I don't come from a cycling background and I generally call out "on your left" when passing.

2012-06-05 9:33 AM
in reply to: #4245341

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
RookieIM - 2012-06-05 9:50 AM
Kido - 2012-06-04 7:05 PM

Technically, yes.

I thought the rule states that if you are being passed you are required to hold your speed and let them pass.  I didn't think you were allowed to speed up.  

Don't have to hold your speed or "let" them pass, but once their front wheel overtakes yours it is your responsibility to drop out of the passing zone. This can suck when someone hammers to pass you then slows once they overtake you. 

2012-06-05 9:37 AM
in reply to: #4245459

User image

Veteran
asheville, nc

Got it.

"This can suck when someone hammers to pass you then slows once they overtake you. "   I've had that happen. Very annoying. I try not to do that to other people. If I pass I'm not hammering but maintaining my speed, so should they want to pass again usually it's cause they've sped up.

2012-06-05 12:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Naptown, IN
From my perspective, it depends on the situation.  On training rides, I always say on your left.  In race situations, I'm a MOP swimmer and FOP cyclist.  So, I pass quite a few people.  I'd estimate I say on your left 50% of the time.  If the rider I'm passing appears to be comfortable on the bike I usually don't say anything.  If the rider is not holding a straight line or there's a group of riders, I will say on your left.
2012-06-05 12:57 PM

User image

Master
Charlotte

Pretty sure the USAT rules state you must ring your aerobell.

2012-06-05 12:59 PM
in reply to: #4245982

User image

Veteran
asheville, nc
bgraboski - 2012-06-05 1:57 PM

Pretty sure the USAT rules state you must ring your aerobell.

I want to install this on my aerobars and ring it every time i pass someone.  I would love to see the faces

2012-06-05 1:22 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I almost always yell “on your left” (or just “your left”) as I pass. I think it’s polite and makes it that much less likely that someone will choose that moment to move into my path. I’ve had the experience of being passed by someone I didn’t know was there, and although there was no danger, I found it disconcerting.

Ironically, one of the few times I didn’t do it, I got called out for not doing it. I was riding a century last month and passing a guy, who looked like an experience cyclist, on a hill. For whatever reason, I didn’t say anything as I passed him but he yelled out, “Call your passes, please!”.
2012-06-05 4:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Vicksburg
OP, I had the same experience last weekend. This was my 5th tri, a sprint of .5/24.5/6.2mi. The longer distance made a big difference in the participant pool. Usually, I'm a FOP swimmer and still manage to pass a few on the bike even though I'm not a strong cyclist - BMOP at best. I'm used to being passed by speedy men doing 20+. This was a whole 'nother level of getting passed. In the other sprints (shorter distances), I would guess half said "left". Maybe because there were a lot more beginners? Saturday, maybe 5% called out. And a good number of them passed within inches of me with no warning whatsoever. I had never had that happen before and it really rattled me especially when one did it as I wobbled a bit to dig a Gu out of my tri top pocket. He screamed like a girl and he was the one passing me. He had to see me reaching back. I had no idea he was there and it could have been disasterous. WTH is the purpose of passing that close when you have a whole lane?? I stay far right and expect to be passed, but I can't keep looking over my shoulder every 10 seconds to see if someone is sneaking up on me. Whether or not it's a rule, I would think it would be common sense that if you are going to pass within inches of another cyclist, you should say something so they know you are there. Otherwise, a little space would be a good idea.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cycling passing 'rules' Rss Feed