General Discussion Race Reports! » Dexter-Ann Arbor Run - Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Dexter-Ann Arbor Run - Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Ann Arbor, Michigan
United States
Champions for Charity
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 44m 43s
Overall Rank = 472/2433
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 47/221
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:45AM, made coffee, ate bagel, ensured gear packed the night before was all I needed. Picked up my brother in-law and friend and drove to Ann Arbor. This event requires you to pick up your packet in Ann Arbor and take a bus to the race start in Dexter. You then run 13.1 miles back to Ann Arbor.
Event warmup:

Got to start about 45 minutes ahead of start. Milled around school where race starts. Stretched, ate a gel at 30 minutes before start. Sipped at electrolyte mix.
Run
  • 1h 44m 43s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

I carried my own hydration for the first time in a run race. I think this was good. It allowed me to drink when I wanted and to take gel and ensure that I had enough hydration to digest. used aid station for water to cool off (poured over back of neck).

I listened to music but need to get better headphones. Right earbud kept coming out and at one point I snagged it while pouring water over myself. then headphone was wet and defintely wouldn't stay in. Then the silicone earbud came off in my ear requiring me to put away headphones and spend next mile trying to get silicone out of my ear while running.

I was 1 minute 15 seconds ahead of my pace plan through mile 7.5. I probably was pushing it a bit too hard and walked the hill due to fear HR would spike too much hurting me later in race. Hamstrings and hip flexors felt tight not too much later. Handfull of walking periods after that as well. Ankle was sore througout the race and today very uncomfortable - assuming it is Posterior Tibialis Syndrome but having Dr verify tomorrow.

Finished strong due to being inspired by slightly overweight, shirtless guy with "Yagermeister" tattoo'd across his upper back. No way that guy was beating me.

Goal was 1:40:00. Maybe a bit unrealistic given the increase in diificulty of this course compared to run in April. I should be happy with a 16 minute improvement over my time from last year on this course. Last year I ran a 9:13 mile pace versus 8:00 this year. Avg HR was 177 vs. 170 this year. Max HR was 194 last year vs. 180 this year. Can't say that I am not happy with my cardio improvement.
What would you do differently?:

1. Get better headphones or follow my initial inclination which was to run without music.

2. Find hill and train hills. That is my weakness. Hills kick my butt.

3. Not race with bad ankle. Hopefully Dr will diagnose and after a short break I can rehab and continue training.

4. Create pace plan with course in mind. Race starts downhill so faster pace acceptable. Mile 7.5 will always be slow. need to account for elevation changes in plan.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate fresh fruit, drank water and stretched a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

1. Ankle
2. Need more warm weather conditioning
3. More base miles.

Event comments:

Challenging course, great scenery during the run, fun point to point run.

Last updated: 2011-12-31 12:00 AM
Running
01:44:43 | 13.1 miles | 07m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 47/221
Overall: 472/2433
Performance: Average
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/185154104
Course: Course starts with gradual 2 mile descent. It is then rolling hills with two nice climbs at mile 7.5 and mile 12.5. Good support throughout course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-06-04 3:39 PM

User image

Master
Subject: Dexter-Ann Arbor Run - Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dexter-Ann Arbor Run - Half Marathon Rss Feed