Game On Sports Marketing Group
88F / 31C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 08m 16s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 0-39, 200-224#
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4, had already set everything out or in the car except for the ice for my drinks. Bagged those up, jumped in the car, hit MCD's for a Smoothie on my way to the race. Ate a Kashi Bar and a Peanut Butter Sandwich on the way down. Got there pretty early, set up my bike and transition area and then put my stuff in the car and stood around for a long time. I'm happy I got there early because I could park my car, but if I had to do it again, I'd probably bring a lawn chair and sit down until closer to the start.
Event warmup:

I didn't really do much for warmups. I jumped in the water and swam about 50 yards, just enough to test the clarity and temperature of the water.
Swim
  • 32m 18s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 09s / 100 meters
Comments:

Rankings were in my wave (Oly, Clydes and Relays).
I knew going into this that I was going to be one of the first ones in my wave out of the water so I hammered hard on the swim and found myself in the midst of a bunch of red caps from the age grouper wave by the first turn. By the second turn, I was catching the first wave of AGs and into the gap between the good swimmers and the not so good swimmers in the AG.

What would you do differently?:

Nothing, I did a good job. I think the only thing I can do in my swim is pick up my intensity on my swim practices.
Transition 1
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

I had the fastest transition by about 15 seconds. I worked for a few weeks running from my garage to the road and then jumping on the bike and pedaling on top of my shoes and working my feet into my shoes on the ride. I even had time to mess with my tri tank in transition. Next race, I'll just wear a tri top.

One thing I really messed up was that I taped a gatorade gel to the bike and I couldn't get it untaped and then it bust open and I lost about 2/3rds of it on the road. From now on, I'll have it taped better and I'll work on opening nutrition in training.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 24s
  • 25 miles
  • 19.89 mile/hr
Comments:

Overall is by wave.
I rode a little too hard. The bridges exposed my lousy climbing abilities as I had to get out of the saddle each time and hammer. I need to work on hills. I may have gone too hard on the bike as I had some issues on my run.

Train better, train on hills more, use HRM for training and the race to keep my pace on-track.
Transition 2
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

I needed to put socks on because I chewed up my feet on my run last week. That took a while, but I think it was overall worth it. I then had issues getting my belt on and dropped my gu pack in the process.

I'm going to give up some time putting socks on for Olys. For Sprints, I can forgo them. I can keep my belt clipped and put it over my head or pull it up like shorts. I can put my gu in my tri top before I start everything else.
Run
  • 1h 17m 47s
  • 6.5 miles
  • 11m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

I started off great, logging 9:30 times to the 2.5 mile mark. But, because I dropped my gu pack in T2, I had to use the oncourse nutrition from Accelerade which had always caused bad stomach cramps. I tried it anyway and sure enough cramp city. I was run/walking the rest of the race.

Don't leave my nutrition in T2, put water only in my bottle (I had some gatorade in there).
Post race
Warm down:

Walking around for a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nutrition on the run. Taking Accelerade and Gatorade was not a good mix.

Event comments:

Pretty good race. Only thing that may kill it is that the swim is so nasty and they didn't have a good plan known to all the athletes.

Last updated: 2012-06-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:18 | 1500 meters | 02m 09s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 2/
Performance: Good
Swim was actually 1.13 miles or 1818 meters. Using that assumption, I swam 1:46 ish pace for the full distance.
Suit: Zoot Tri Shorts
Course: The RD didn't explain very well how the swim would go. Being as this is the first race, they made a last-minute change and decided they'd pull-in one bouy 300 yards. If you do the math, that doesn't bridge from 1.2 miles (half iron) to the 1500 meters (oly) distance. Garmin may have been a little long on the distance, but the course was also a bit long. The water was pretty nasty with a heavy oil smell half-way through.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:09
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:15:24 | 25 miles | 19.89 mile/hr
Overall: 7/
Wind: Little
Course: Course had about 7 bridges/overpasses on the way out and the way back, but was mostly flat on very good roads and the Palm Beach County Sheriff's office and WPB Police did an awesome job with traffic control. Course was a bit tight at a few points which meant everyone packed-in to a peloton almost to get through it. But out of 650 competitors, there were only 8 penalties handed-out.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:35
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:17:47 | 06.5 miles | 11m 58s  min/mile
Overall: 8/
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back down Flagler Drive along the Intracoastal Waterway. Almost no shade and the sun broke through right as I turned at the 2.5 mile mark, so it was hot and steamy. The RD did a great job having plenty of ice, and water for the Oly. I haven't heard how the HIM went.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-06-04 3:40 PM

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
Subject: Motivation Man Olympic Triathlon

2013-03-14 12:19 PM
in reply to: #4244024

Subject: RE: Motivation Man Olympic Triathlon

HI!  I'm planning on doing this Motivation Man Half Triathlon in June.  It will be my first half.  I can't find much info on the race.  But in your comments you'd mentioned the swim was bad.  Can you tell me, what made it so bad?  Where there waves?  Was the water visibility bad?

Thanks for your help! 

Nicole 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Motivation Man Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed