General Discussion Triathlon Talk » what is that!!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2012-06-05 8:32 PM
in reply to: #4245125

User image

Subject: RE: what is that!!!!!
Today on 5 mile run, next to a pond at Yorktown Battlefield National Park, a mom and pop swan team with 5 baby cygnets.  I have been seeing them off and on for the past month - its fun to watch them grow!

2012-06-05 9:51 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Armadillo's, raccoons, skunks, owls (almost had one hit me), coyote's, foxes, squirrels, horses, brahma bull (I changed directions as I wanted nothing to do with it) and guys on recumbent bikes.  Have to admit the recumbent bikes freaked me out a bit.
2012-06-05 10:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
Last year I a very very large couple having sex.  I run on an old trail that goes down by the river and there they were.  Looked like to hippo's rolling around.  Few weeks of therapy and I was good to go. 
2012-06-05 10:33 PM

User image

Regular
Kansas
So there I am riding my bike - on mile 8 of a 12 mile ride, and I come up on a crappy looking maroon car on my left (same car I seen on my way out before my turn around). So there I am right, and there's a guy standing out beside his crappy car - I look over and give a friendly wave. He apparently felt the need to give me a friendly shot of his twig and yam bag. I don't know if I was propositioned or what, I'm assuming not, as he didn't follow me back into town (thank God). But as I rolled by I couldn't help but think - did that really just happen?
2012-06-06 9:12 AM

Crisfield, MD
Just recently took a spill on the bike trying to avoid a fox, who gave me a dirty look for getting in his way (no damage to the bike, fortunately). And for once, the fox was the only one who saw it. Usually I fall over in front of every one I know.

On that same ride I passed a swinery that only had a (virtually) invisible electric fence to contain the pigs. The piglets followed me from one end to the other, and did the same thing on the way back, as if they had been waiting for me.

Once I was running on a rail-to-trails trail, which was VERY narrow. I looked back to see a turkey buzzard right behind me, taking up the whole trail with his wings spread out, about 10 feet off the ground. I know he couldn't have picked me up, but I've never run so fast, before or since.

2012-06-06 9:26 AM
in reply to: #4245741

User image

Master
Central Kansas
rice418 - 2012-06-05 11:30 AM

Once on a run, I heard some rustling in the weeds on the side of the road.  I stopped to investigate and out of the weeds walks a woodchuck/gopher/groundhog type of thing with his head firmly wedged inside a campbells soup can.  His head was so deep in the can that he couldn't see and I suspect he was having trouble breathing too.  He came onto the road and commenced to rubbing and raking the can on the asphalt, all the while clawing at it with his paws.

I spoke to him, kinda like you would speak to a dog.  "Hey little fella..."  Upon hearing my voice he fled back into the weeds, blindly tumbling out of sight.  I called to him again, as if I was calling my puppy.  "Come on boy, it's ok...  I won't hurt ya."  The critter crawled out of the weeds and came to my feet, crouched low, as if hoping for the best, but expecting the worst.  I continued to talk to him, "It's ok.  Just gonna take this can off your head..."

I gently pulled the can off of his head and promptly took a step back.  He momentarily looked up at me, and then turned and disappeared into the weeds.  I stood there holding that soup can thinking "Man!  I wish somebody else would have been here to see this!"

My Aunt Anna loves that story so much she has asked me to re-tell it at family gatherings.

P.S.  This is my first post on BT.  I am 3 weeks into a 13 week sprint program and love it!!!

Awesome! Your nickname should be Androcles.

2012-06-06 9:38 AM

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Snakes. Lots of snakes. Big ones and little ones. I scream every time. I can't help it.

Two deer dashed out in front of me on my ride last night. They were flying. I am often startled by (and, in turn, startle) deer, but it's not usually quite so dramatic as last night.

I also seem to scare up a lot of quail and pheasant. They startle me.

Hunters. With loaded guns. Eek.

The day I see a wild boar is the day I have to reconsider riding/running on dirt roads in rural Kansas.

2012-06-06 9:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Torrance, CA

Wasnt training, but I was hiking with my dog when a juvenile coyote poked his head around the trail.  It came up to my dog and they sniffed each other (just as any dog would to another dog) and then went on their merry way.

I'll post some pics of it when I get home.

2012-06-06 10:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Budapest, Pest Megye
When I used to live in Boulogne (France), I would run in the Bois de Boulogne (infamous for its brazilian prostitutes). I saw many brazilian transvestites with fakies flash the passing cars. I was also propositioned a few times.

Now that I live in Oregon, no more prostitutes but I saw a coyote the other day at 5am. When I lived in California I ran over a squirrel with my bike (it didn't die), and almost ran over a dog, a cat, and a duck (all that on the same ride!)
2012-06-06 10:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ARLINGTON
Tarantula the size of my palm crawling across the bike path last week.  That was a first.
2012-06-06 12:45 PM

User image

Veteran
indiana

Last winter i saw an adult novelty toy that required batteries; laying in the side ditch...then it was gone a few days later?

Just today i saw a male wild turkey on a hood of a pickup truck (that was parked) with the female on the ground next to him. He was obviously showing off for her...i bet it worked.

Then a few minutes later a sparrow hit my shoe while i was doing 32 downhill. Didn't stop to check it out, but it didn't sound good.

2012-06-06 12:56 PM

User image

over a barrier
Carp surface feeding right next to me while waiting for the Ironman start....freaked me out!
2012-06-06 1:40 PM
in reply to: #4247998

User image

Master
Rural Ontario

On my runs I'll occasionally spot an adult male dressed up in an embarassing get-up consisting of: spandex shorts, a tight sleeveless top, compression leggings, and brightly coloured hat,running shoes or sunglasses - all of this often covered in big 'M's (with dots on top)

On some weekends you can actually see herds of these 'Triathlete' creatures travelling on their migratory route. A little reminiscant of Wilderbeasts crossing the Zambezi river, except the Wilderbeasts kick each other less in the water.

2012-06-06 1:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Miles City, Montana

Swim:  VERY large carp slowly rolling over in the water eating a floating bug right next to me.  Made me gasp and swallow a whole mouthful of lake water.

Bike:  Riding on a country lane with colts following me the length of the pasture like I was the ice cream truck in summer.

Run:  Panties (size XXL) and condom wrapper (did not stop to check the size!) within a few feet of one another.

2012-06-06 1:50 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California

Had a coyote trot across the bike path a few yards in front of me a couple weeks ago...about 20 minutes before a squirrel tried the same thing and ended up under my back wheel...

Both were far less interesting than the group of seals blocking my path on my solo ocean swim on Memorial Day.  Thought that was pretty cool...until it crossed my mind that they are a prime delicacy for the great whites in the vicinity...didn't really want to become food-by-association, so I was happy when they decided to swim off in the opposite direction.

Have had a dolphin swim right under me on another ocean swim.  Knew they were around (could hear them squeaking), but still startled the heck out of me when he whizzed past right below me.

2012-06-06 1:54 PM

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
I just remembered another. I was on a gravel road and two squirrels dropped from an overhanging limb that was at least 45 feet above the road. The squirrel that landed on top scurried off immediately. The one that landed on bottom was just laying there as I approached. I stopped to look and he got up on four feet very slowly, sort of shook it off, and then slowly walked away. 

2012-06-06 5:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Wildlife of some sort is the norm, but this past Sunday while out riding, a red-tail hawk flew right in front of me.  He was going from one tree to another, but had swooped low.  I obviously caught him by surprise so that when he landed in the tree, he almost lost his footing - like he was scrambling to get away from the strange object in the road.  I love hawks.
2012-06-06 5:40 PM

User image

Master
PNW

I've seen all kinds of odd things.  

The three that come to mind first are a male peacock, tail fully splayed out, just walking down the road like he owned it.  Very weird.  I've since discovered that we have a neighbor who raises them, so it's not uncommon to see them out.

Once I was running with my dog in my neighborhood when I watched a black bear run across the road in front of me.  For a minute, I thought "wow, that dog was really fast for it's size" and then I realized what it was.  Luckily, my dog was too stunned to even bark.

In that same neighborhood, a few months later, I ran past some dude in full camo, walking down the street carrying a crossbow.  I assume he was after deer, but somehow, that seemed a bit dangerous with kids playing in the street!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » what is that!!!!! Rss Feed  

of 3