Boulder, Colorado
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 38m 42s
Overall Rank = 317/43482
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 33/2106
Pre-race routine:

Got out of bed at 4:00 a.m., showered and ate my oatmeal, PB&J, toast and glass of water. Drove to Boulder with sister and fellow runner David Rothenburger, park close to Folsom stadium, walk to the stadium where we left my gear and my sister.
Event warmup:

Dave and I jogged easily over to the starting area (about 2 miles) where I then ran some short sprints.
Run
  • 38m 42s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

This was the first year doing the BB. Even with a chill in the air prior to the start (I was in the A wave - 7:00 start), the mass of humanity surrounding me warmed us up nicely. The only thing was so many runners my speed or better were constantly getting in the way and it was necessary to really pay attention to those around you in order to prevent any lost shoes or bumping.

The start went relatively normally minus the throng of people but I missed the first mile marker. My goal was to run about a 5:55/mi pace and to finish at or just below 37:00 but I knew I was slow when I saw 12:06 at the second mile marker. From there it seemed to climb little by little all the way through the 4th mile. Slow 5K time of 19:17, and then 4 miles at 25:59. From 4 to 5 it was better with a 6:01 mile to reach 5 at 31:00 and mile 6 with another 6:00 or so mile. The final two miles allowed me to pick off quite a few runners that got me after mile 2. The hill wasn't exactly simple but I was able to run it without too much issue.
What would you do differently?:

I think I was anticipating this race much too much. I literally slept less than an hour the entire night even though I was nice and tired. Running a race without sleep will slow you down significantly. I need to relax much more next year. However with this race being more of a holiday event I had a blast after the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much of a warm down. This year they used chips for the A wave so I had to stop and have it snipped off my shoes. I then walked to the area where we received our post race goody bag, beer, soda, water, etc. After that, walked over with Dave to the Expo and collected the myriad of samples that were scattered about. Some yummy things such as ice cream, sports drinks, bagels, etc.

Headed back to the stadium where we watched the remainder of runners pour non stop into the stadium for the next 4 hours (wow). Fortunately there were quite a few things going on to watch such as the military fly over (so cool) but never long enough. Made me want to be up there with them. Also watched the paragliders come in representing each of the military branches. Being prior USAF I got a kick out of the USAF jumper. Landing into a stadium presents quite a few challenges, especially into a statium butted right against the Front Range. They all did well.

Finally, watched the women's and men's professional races. Very exciting in both races.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Complete lack of sleep and not knowing what to expect for the course. But in the end, who cares. It was a great day overall. I recommend it for those going to enjoy themselves since it caters to runners and walkers of all abilities.

Event comments:

Very nice event and a lot of fun. I hope to compete in it next year and do better as well. Not many people get PRs on this course so ones who do, great job!

Post race activities were very entertaining.

Last updated: 2006-06-02 12:00 AM
Running
00:38:42 | 06.21 miles | 06m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 33/2106
Overall: 317/43482
Performance: Below average
Course: The course is not difficult by any stretch of the imagination but there is a nice hill right outside the stadium that must be climbed to enter the stadium, then run 3/4 around the track to the finish line. Great crowds and belly dancers and plenty of water/gatorade stations. Regardless of how easy or not the course was, doing it for the first time is definitely a learning process. Its good to know where the hills and where all the winding curves are, etc. I will be better prepared next year. Hopefully the wind will be better next year as well.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-02 1:08 AM

Subject: Bolder Boulder

2006-06-02 7:46 AM
in reply to: #440961

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Bolder Boulder
Smokin' run!

Seems both you an Mike had a similar idea that didn't manifest. Must have been the course that day. Still, that's a great time! Congrats.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bolder Boulder Rss Feed